RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Which direction do you spin the trailer brake adjuster?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Which direction do you spin the trailer brake adjuster?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/19 06:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bpounds wrote:

This was kind of touched on above, but so it doesn't get missed I'll repeat it. I like to tighten the shoes hard into the drum first. Then back off until I can spin the wheel with slight drag. What that does is force the shoes into concentricity with the drum. If you don't do that, and only snug up until you feel/hear drag, chances are only 1 shoe is doing the dragging.

This is the way the instrictions I've read say to do it.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/19 07:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Always spin the wheel the direction of going forward. Yes down on the handle spins the star wheel up and expands (tightens) the shoes against the drum. Get them tight so it you can't turn the wheel by hand and then back off 3-5 teeth. If the tire won't spin then back ff some more until it does spin with a scraping noise.

1996 Suburban 4x4. 350, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

wopachop

lb

View Profile

Posted: 11/05/19 10:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks everyone knocked it out pretty quick. Didnt even get caught!!

I did error a bit on the side of backing them back off more than i should. Did maybe 7 clicks back after it was too tight to turn by hand. They were all super loose i must have done 30 clicks to get the wheels to stop. Sure hope there is still a little bit of brake pads left. Will have to talk her into to pulling the drums at some point. Or at least pull of 1 drum and check for brake pad thickness.

noteven

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 11/06/19 06:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Suggest letting the trailer owner know the brakes work now to avoid flat spotting a set of tires.

drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 11/06/19 07:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ScottG wrote:

If you have a newer rig and are adjusting it the first time, make sure both adjusters on the same side turn the same way.
My trailer had the wrong adjuster on one wheel. It's an auto adj system so everytime I hit the brakes, it loosened them!
That happened right up until it totally came apart inside the drum and made all kinds of noise I could here as I parked. Adjuster was destroyed.

Another note on the auto adjusters... they need to be close to begin with or they don't do much. My Coachmen has them, and the brakes were very weak when new, and they didn't seem to be getting better, until I manually set the adjustment. Now they take care of themselves like they're supposed to.

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Which direction do you spin the trailer brake adjuster?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS