|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Texas couple killed

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
danrclem

Ky.

View Profile

Posted: 11/05/19 10:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It was easy for me to get alcohol when I was underage and if drugs were legal it would be easy for our youth to get them too. I don't want my high school age grandkids to have easy access to meth and heroin.

fx2tom

CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/05/19 10:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bedlam wrote:

westernrvparkowner wrote:

Who would you empower to investigate and enforce those inspections? US Customs has no contact with anyone leaving the country, any current inspections are done by the customs departments of the countries being entered. Not sure Mexican and Canadian Customs have or even want the ability to examine the authenticity of vehicle titles and ownership. Since apparently these vehicles are taken directly to Mexico after the theft, they are likely not reported and entered into any data base as a stolen vehicle by the time the border is crossed. Adding exit examinations to US Customs duties would essentially require doubling the agency all in an effort to find a few stolen trucks. Probably not a good use of resources. As for Mexico, they have bigger problems to solve before they get down interdicting stolen vehicles.

I'm more familiar with the northern border where Canadians ask me plenty of questions about what I am hauling in my trailer and registration for all the vehicles I take across (may be as many as five in my case).

We went to Victoria via ferry from Port Angeles WA over New Years in a rental car. Not a question was asked about the car crossing over. Checked our passports, asked the reason for our visit and sent us on our way.

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/05/19 10:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

danrclem wrote:

It was easy for me to get alcohol when I was underage and if drugs were legal it would be easy for our youth to get them too. I don't want my high school age grandkids to have easy access to meth and heroin.

News flash....

They probably already do, and either just do not know, or wont go near it..

You would be surprised at what issues the schools systems have today and don't publish.

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Merrykalia

Appalachian (apple at chun) Mtn in the GREAT SW Va

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/05/19 11:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ford truck guy wrote:

danrclem wrote:

News flash....

They probably already do, and either just do not know, or wont go near it..

You would be surprised at what issues the schools systems have today and don't publish.

I live in a back=woods, country town in the middle of the Appalachian Mountains. My daughters attend a high school with less than 500 students in grade 8-12. My sophmore daughter knows who uses alcohol, marijuana and pills and who she could go to to get anything along those lines.

Meth is available on YOUR street corner, as it is mine. Heroin is just a phone call away to anyone. If you have the desire for it, you can find it.

If your grandkids have not tried drugs and/or alcohol, it's because of the parents and the friends they have chosen, not that it's not available.

2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 11/05/19 11:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fx2tom wrote:

Bedlam wrote:

I'm more familiar with the northern border where Canadians ask me plenty of questions about what I am hauling in my trailer and registration for all the vehicles I take across (may be as many as five in my case).

We went to Victoria via ferry from Port Angeles WA over New Years in a rental car. Not a question was asked about the car crossing over. Checked our passports, asked the reason for our visit and sent us on our way.

The fact that I tow a 20' enclosed trailer behind my camper into which they cannot see surely makes me more of a target of suspicion (I'm sure the handles I use on the forums doesn't help either).

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW TransBuggy 1200

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 11/05/19 12:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, we can see how well prohibition worked when it came to controlling liquor. Just do some checking and read about the rise to power of organized crime, Al Capone and the like, on the sales/dealing of illegal alcohol. Making a product illegal doesn't really work, never has, never will.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 11/05/19 12:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

Well, we can see how well prohibition worked when it came to controlling liquor. Just do some checking and read about the rise to power of organized crime, Al Capone and the like, on the sales/dealing of illegal alcohol. Making a product illegal doesn't really work, never has, never will.

The amount of alcohol related deaths is more than twice the amount of people killed by guns (including suicide, murder, and accidental) every year. Don't get me wrong I love my beer (as my name implies), but the fact is alcohol kills way more people per capita being legal than it did when it was illegal.

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 11/05/19 12:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had no intention of this this becoming a legalize everything thread, but I will chime in on one thought.
To the legalize everything folks, who want to use alcohol as their justification.
I think you are missing what was the actual objective.
Before prohibition, alcohol was freely sold, and was untaxed.
After prohibition the government immediately taxed it, and any other "vices" they could. From tobacco, to gambling, eliminating, and later legalizing things people want is not about any holier than thou ideals. It always becomes about the Money.
If you doubt this look at Colorado and Kali and the taxing of Pot.
The Government NEVER gave anybody anything. It's always about how a petty beauracrat can tax and control you.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 11/05/19 12:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wanderingaimlessly wrote:

Before prohibition, alcohol was freely sold, and was untaxed.

Fact check. 1791 tax alcohol to pay for revolution.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 11/05/19 01:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ShinerBock wrote:

fj12ryder wrote:

The amount of alcohol related deaths is more than twice the amount of people killed by guns (including suicide, murder, and accidental) every year. Don't get me wrong I love my beer (as my name implies), but the fact is alcohol kills way more people per capita being legal than it did when it was illegal.
We're not discussing the legality/illegality question, but rather the groups that rise in power when something people want is made illegal, for whatever reason. The opium trade begat The Opium Wars, Prohibition brought forth Organized Crime and American gangsters, marijuana and modern drugs have delivered the Cartels and drug dealers from other countries. People will get what they crave, making it illegal simply means they will become criminals to do it.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Texas couple killed
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.