RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fresh water tank under camper-Camping in colder weather.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Fresh water tank under camper-Camping in colder weather.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
JoshuaH

Jefferson City, Mo

View Profile

Posted: 11/05/19 05:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just bought a,

Forest River Wolf Pup 16BHS

The fresh water tank is under the camper. I've read the entire manual online and watched a lot of the winterizing videos, but I don't see anything mentioned about this tank, and I didn't see an obvious way to drain it either.

Question, if at night the temp gets below freezing and there is water in this tank, but not full, will it damage it?

Are there heater kits that can be bought to allow using this tank if electricity is available?

Would it be possible to add a smaller tank somewhere inside the camper, there would be room under one of the seats or under the bed and put in a valve to use this tank instead during colder weather? I'd gladly give up a little bit of storage space for this.

Thanks for any input you have.

Jay Pat

Round Rock, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/05/19 05:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check with member "profundent" (the spelling is not correct).
Hopefully, someone will have the correct spelling.
I think he will have a solution for you.
Good luck!
Pat

2010 Ford F-350 SRW
2011 Keystone, Sprinter 310

garyemunson

Reno, Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/05/19 05:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The problem you will face is that you do not have an "all-season" camper. The water tank is just the tip of the iceberg. Campers made for cold weather camping have ALL plumbing up inside the "conditioned space". Just adding a heater to your tank ignores the fact that much of your water piping likely runs under the trailer hidden by whatever undercarriage covering you have. Either avoid camping in freezing weather or do like many who winterize the RV's plumbing and use the campground facilities.

starhunt

KS

View Profile

Posted: 11/05/19 06:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would not recommend you to buy heater kits as it won't solve the problem...that won't heat the pipes under.

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 11/05/19 07:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There must be some way to drain the tank; at the worst, and very unlikely, you could drain it pretty well by pumping all the water out with the pump. However, there almost certainly is a valve or cap somewhere to gravity drain it.

As others have said, without substantial modifications, you're unlikely to be able to use the plumbing on your trailer in sub-freezing temperatures. It's unlikely that a little water in the tank would cause the tank to burst (it has room to expand, and the tanks are usually somewhat flexible), but water in exposed plumbing fittings very likely could cause them to burst. (PEX tubing itself is generally flexible enough to withstand freezing water without bursting.)

Jay Pat

Round Rock, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/05/19 07:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jay Pat wrote:

Check with member "profundent" (the spelling is not correct).
Hopefully, someone will have the correct spelling.
I think he will have a solution for you.
Good luck!
Pat

I found him. Send him a pm and ask.
profdant139

Here is his link.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/05/19 09:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Define colder weather. Below freezing at night and above freezing during the day, the tank isn't going to freeze up.
Can't speak for the rest of the camper below freezing.
If there's not a low point drain, pumping our as much water as you can will be ok as long as it doesn't leave, Idk, more than 1/2" of water giver take.
If you do need to add heat, I'm sure there are heating pads you can stick to it but they need constant power.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/05/19 09:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While in use you are generally fine down to about 25F. Maybe lower. If the tank is less than full a little freezing will cause no harm.

Yes an RV tank heater will work great and will take you below zero when properly equipped.

Otherwise just carry some jugs of water to flush, clean and cook.

Although there is plenty of other fresh and waste water pipes to be concerned about too.

www.ultraheat.com

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/05/19 11:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have never had an RV that didn't have a drain valve for the fresh water tank.

If the tank is exposed under the trailer, there could be just a plug in a corner of the tank that needs to be removed to drain it.

On my new 2019 Forest River 2511S it has an enclosed bottom, so no tanks are exposed, but there is a simple drain valve on it that you have to reach under the side on to get to it. It also has electric 'tank heaters' on it. Not sure if it includes the fresh water tank, but I think it does.. I really won't have any need for it, as I drain my tanks and don't camp in freezing weather... [emoticon]

Good luck!

Mitch

[image]

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/06/19 06:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our previous Class C had exposed black/gray tanks and low-point drain valves and the freshwater compartment wasn't heated, so when it was sub-freezing, we simply used a jug of water for teeth-brushing and coffee-making; and flushed the toilet using antifreeze. (Showers were taken using the campground's facilities) Anything that went down the kitchen drain got followed by a splash of antifreeze. Works sufficiently well until you get to warmer temps and better than worrying about cracked pipes/fittings.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Fresh water tank under camper-Camping in colder weather.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS