|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Pick up for TC

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
Sponsored By:
intravino

Quebec

View Profile

Posted: 11/06/19 10:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello,

First post.

I was looking to get a pick up with 8 feet bed for TC and I found a nice 99 Cummins. The problem is that owner is saying that he used to pull a fifth wheel.

Would you consider a pick up that was used for a fifth wheel ?

Thanks,

joerg68

St. Ingbert, Germany

View Profile

Posted: 11/06/19 11:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does it have enough payload for the projected camper?
Really, that truck is 20 years old today. I would think its overall state (mileage, wear, rust) outweighs anything it may or may not have carried in the back.
A bit more information might still be interesting for the crowd. Mileage? SRW/DRW? Automatic or manual?

2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow

KKELLER14K

BEAVERTON OREGON

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/19 12:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well first off what does a 5th wheel prior to use, and a TC have in common? Is this a troll post? It doesn't make sense...if it was a 5th wheel carrier prior.. where is the 5th wheel bed hitch? ...come on! what kind of question is this??...it is about the truck not the way it was used in the past... I think this a fake post.IMHO,,LOL it does not matter what the truck is ...it is how it is set up to carry a load whether a 5th wheel or a tc...many different hold downs and hitches...is it set up for a tc? like hold downs or just a 5th wheel? Im confused regardless Im not getting this..what the heck kind of truck are we talking about....that is the the first question right?? Well welcome to the forum we will teach you that is what we do just ask...not to sound brass but you will fit in we are her to help....just be real. Your questions are not ignored...we as a TC family want you to have the best experience that we can help you with..jump in and ask.

* This post was last edited 11/07/19 01:21am by KKELLER14K *   View edit history

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/19 02:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

intravino wrote:

Hello,

First post.

I was looking to get a pick up with 8 feet bed for TC and I found a nice 99 Cummins. The problem is that owner is saying that he used to pull a fifth wheel.

Would you consider a pick up that was used for a fifth wheel ?

Thanks,

Yes,they can be used for both..When living full time in a fifth wheel I had a TC I used to hunt and fish with..I just used 2X4's in front and behind the bed rails to load my TC on..

Fifth wheels and truck campers kinda act the same on a pickup except for the top heavy part a TC gives..Larger fifth wheels have higher pin weights(3300# plus directly over the rear axle)..Ever seen that 3/4 ton truck with a big'ol fifth wheel in tow with the bumper almost dragging on the ground..That's an overloaded 3/4 ton without mods to make it level..You need the same things with a TC..Mods..

A '99 Dodge is a capable truck, but the payload numbers for older Dodge trucks,especially diesels, are less than there real capabilities, but that is another can of worms on the internet..

So it boils down to,is that '99 Cummins a 2500 series or a 3500 series/single rear wheels or dual rear wheels?..Each one of those makes a bigger difference with a truck camper than with a fifth wheel..Fifth wheels in general are the better choice for easy towing compared to all the other RV types..

It is much easier to haul a fifth wheel than a top heavy truck camper tho..

'94 Ford DRW/460
Lance 9.6
Yamaha Rhino in tow
Elk hunt'n Idaho

burningman

Seattle, WA USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/19 04:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There’s no such thing as a single rear wheel ‘99 Dodge 3500.
If it has a manual transmission, it has a Dana 80 rear axle rated at 11,000 pounds, so if it’s a single rear wheel (2500) it’s limited mostly by the tires. If it’s a dually (3500) stock size tires will handle 10,800 pounds on the rear. That’s plenty.
If it’s a single rear wheel 2500 with an automatic trans, it has a Dana 70. Those have enough capacity for single rear wheels, but if it has a lot of miles on it, beware the Dana 70 is known to fail and need rebuilding a lot sooner than the 80.
The single most important thing about a ‘99 Dodge with a Cummins diesel is what engine block casting number it has. Specifically, whether it’s a “53 block”.
If it is, DON’T buy it unless you’re ok with replacing the motor. 53 block Cummins have a very common nasty habit of cracking and they aren’t repairable.
They were cast too thin and crack at the right rear.
Look under the truck at the engine block. On the driver side, toward the front, down low. If there’s a “53” cast into it in inch high numbers, run away.
If it says 54, 55, or 56 it’s fine. If it has a long series of 1/4 inch high numbers and letters, it’s the least common and most desirable Mexican block. (The 50-series blocks were cast in Brazil.)
Seriously, read up on how to identify a 53 block Cummins and DON’T buy one. I’ve had two of them crack in my own truck.

If it’s an automatic, it really needs some expensive upgrades. Plan on a $4000–$5000 performance-built transmission. Trust me, it needs it. If it was a 5th wheel hauler it may already have that done, but it’s hard to verify unless it has paperwork.

The Diesel engine (I’m assuming it has that) does not lower the payload as so many people and even the factories tell you. All the camper weight goes on the rear. A lighter engine (gas) up front does not help carry a heavier load, you can’t get the weight of the camper up front anyway.

There’s a lot more to pickup trucks than the length of the bed.
How big a camper you want to haul changes a lot about what truck you need for it.

2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/19 06:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

There’s no such thing as a single rear wheel ‘99 Dodge 3500.

From the factory,your right, but there are quite a few conversions out there, just as I considered an F-250 DRW when looking for my truck.More and more people are converting to DRW and from DRW for whatever reason..It is more common than known..

To the op..Yes,a '99 Dodge used to pull a fifth wheel would certainly be an option worth looking at for using it for a truck camper..It simply means he was able to put the weight of the fifth wheel in the bed of the truck somewhat like a truck camper..He may already had some mods on it for the fifth wheel..

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/19 06:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My used truck had been used to pull horses across the country. It was well maintained, and there were at least regular services done.

They showed horses and generally those people are easy on trucks. I don’t know much about 99 Dodges, so maybe it’s ok, or maybe not even if it didn’t pull a fiver.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/19 06:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimh425 wrote:

My used truck had been used to pull horses across the country. It was well maintained, and there were at least regular services done.

They showed horses and generally those people are easy on trucks. I don’t know much about 99 Dodges, so maybe it’s ok, or maybe not even if it didn’t pull a fiver.

Maintenance is everything..The op might consider talking to a diesel mechanic or have them look at and drive it before making the jump..

When I was looking for a truck to put a TC on,diesels was an option..My neighbor owns a diesel shop and I see them towed in almost daily..I definitely would have asked him about what I was considering and even better,let him check it out before buying..

Good luck to the op in buying a truck for a truck camper.

Lwiddis

Los Angeles area :(

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/07/19 08:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While I’ve kept vehicles 20 years, I wouldn’t buy a 20 year old vehicle.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

ryoung

Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/19 08:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The OP seems to be a complete newbie by asking the question. He seems to think there is problem with pulling a fifth wheel initially and then using the truck to haul a TC at some later time. In my opinion there is no problem.

Just answer his question and quit berating him.

ryoung

2018 Ram 3500 SRW Diesel
2019 Wolf Creek 840

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Pick up for TC
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS