|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Pick up for TC

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Lwiddis

Los Angeles area :(

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/07/19 07:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your “deal” is your “risk.”

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/19 07:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

intravino wrote:

Yes, it is an ATX, the truck is $ 7000 CAD and no rust, perfect frame also, one owner truck. The owner said it never saw winter and an oil treatment was done on the undercarriage every year. I don't have much more info until I go and see it.

If it is actually what you said above AND well maintained mechanically, that is a decent deal for a reg cab 2wd 2500, good deal if it's a 2wd quad cab and a steal if its a 4wd and grand larceny if it's a quad/4x4!

Seriously, the only thing that could make that not a good deal is a 53 block and even then, you could still buy it and double your money to use for another truck.

Good luck man!
Regarding weight, eh, 3000lb camper comfortably with some airbags.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

intravino

Quebec

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/19 09:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the replies.

The pickup is 2x4, club cab. There is a picture of it at the end of the message.

Quote:

In Canada, how do they enforce weight? Do they look at the truck door sticker and then look for a camper sticker? Campers are always listed dry weight, and may not even include features like AC in the weight. If they go by stickers then you should be fine, if they weigh it then everyone is over, haha. Do you have to go through highway scales?

It depends of the province, in Quebec, if you have a commercial plate called F and your are over 10 000lbs, then you need to stop at the weighing station. If you have a normal car plate on the pickup, you don't need to stop at the scales.

https://ibb.co/K7btY2L

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/19 12:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

joerg68

St. Ingbert, Germany

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/19 04:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice truck! As far as one can tell from that single picture, the PO took good care of it.
If you had given this information (or part of it) in your original post, you would likely have got more focused replies from the get go. As it were, your question to me looked very brief and a little odd. Since I am in a different time zone, I often get to see new posts before North America wakes up - so sometimes I get to be the "first responder".

Not all of us are used to communicate our requests or problems well in written form. After all, your question is obvious to you. It takes some training and experience to understand which information is necessary to make a stranger on the internet understand what is going on in hour head. I did not think that yours was a troll question, but maybe badly worded. So I tried to give a brief reply, to see if you came back with more information.

I still believe that the truck's overall condition is more important than what was in the back. The transmissions in these trucks don't seem to be the most bulletproof (in my local TC community, two Rams with Cummins and ATXs have made problems in the past). But if the truck runs and shifts nicely, and you trust the seller, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just have some extra money in case something _does_ need to be fixed. At 20 years, there are plenty of possibilities. And keep the rustproofing up.

Do you have any specific camper that you are looking for?

2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/19 05:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a same 2nd gen '01 2500 Cummins/47RE 3.54 gears 2wd truck. I really liked that truck but having only one ear hearing left and the other getting bad I had to let it go. I sold it and bought the new just out 3rd '03 Cummins HPCR 2500 truck much much more quieter engine.
The rear suspension on the 2nd gen Dodge trucks still had a upper over load spring pack. I pull heavy GN and 5th wheel trailers. Even with a 18k 34' flatdeck which was loaded to keep the truck w/i its 6084 RAWR. RAWR = the lessor of a wheel....tire....or rear spring pack. No rear squat.
I bought the truck new and sold it with around 85000 miles. The only problem was the 47RE would take sometimes off in 2nd gear (no 1st gear)......so control valve body had to replaced at 4800 miles under warranty. No issues after that.

The trucks chassis/suspension and drive train will be fine with that sized truck camper.

Having pulled heavy and light trailers and owning three different size truck campers up to 10' 6" length I've found pulling trailers is much more harder on a trucks drive train than carrying a TC around.

LOL...if you can stand the racket that '99 was a tough truck.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Oxfofd, Fl

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/19 05:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2000 Dodge Ram 2500 single wheel diesel. I have owned it 5 years and bought it with 161,000 on the clock. I paid $6500 for it. I was the 3rd owner. I never hesitated when I saw the 5th wheel hitch in it. I since have another 100,000 on it. It is in mint condition. I have a 33' 5er and a huge slide in. The slide in squats a couple of inches but nothing dangerous. We have been around most of the USA. Like the above mentioned it is a 20 year old truck and things wear out. Unless the tranny has been rebuilt, look forward to it. Remember that when rebuilding a tranny your torque converter is a very important part of the build. Its called a stage one build with a billet torque converter and heavy duty bands and clutches if you have an automatic. As the above said the injection pump fuel pump should be upgraded when they go bad. The really good part is the fuel mileage. I get 22 empty on the road, 10 to 12 with the 5er and 15 with the slide in. If you dont want it let me know. The price is a good one if nothing major is bad. Go for it and enjoy.

* This post was last edited 11/08/19 11:43am by 352 *   View edit history

Facebook/The manatees of Halls river.Sam and Gail Oxford Fl

1985 Chevy Silverado c10. 454 stroker / 495 CI = 675 HP. 650lb of torque. Turb0 400 tranny. 3000 stall converter. Aluminum heads. 3 inch exhaust flowmasters. 2 inch headers. Heat and air. Tubed.

noteven

Turtle Island

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/19 06:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi intravino -

nice looking truck. A local guy here put 950,000 km on one of those trucks distributing newspapers to small communities.

At $7000 it has to run for what, 8 months and owes you nothin’ vs renting a new one from the bank.

An inspection could be $ well spent.

Look at Truck Camper Magazine on line for information on campers you have in mind. They have info back 10yrs maybe?

Motorcycle trailers / fishin boats etc go nice behind truck camper rigs.

intravino

Quebec

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/19 08:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You guys are alright.

I was looking at the Cummins for a diesel alternative. I am more a Ford man but the Ford Diesels are a bit complicated to work (for a Diesel newbie like me) vs the Cummins. I am also look at a Ford F-250 XL 2003 regular cab with a 5.4L gas engine, 2x4, 100K mile for $9000. No rust also.

I saw also a 2009 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7L with 100K miles on it, 2x4 but it is a dealer that is selling it for $ 16000. I read that purists do like more the 5.9L because of no emission stuff.

I do 80 % of my repairs myself; balljoints, CV joints, Motor mounts, brakes and all of the electronics, obd2 etc...

What about the F-150 with Payload package, can they really move 2600 lbs in the bed ?

For a TC, I am looking at Travel Lite (but I saw negative reviews here in the forum), Palomino or anything lite. I am going to see soon a guy that used to make is own TC, he used to sell about 20 to 50 units per year, he took his retirement this year and he has his own TC for sale, 1800lbs, toilet, stove/oven, shower. The frame is wood and the outside is aluminum, with fiberglass insulation, the good old fashion way. He is asking $9000 for it but I did not see it.

I went to see Lance and Northern lite at a new dealer. Nice construction but heavy and $ 40k to $ 50K. I saw a used Cirrus this past weekend, nice but I thought It was nicer inside, I was disappointed, $ 40k for a 2018 model, 3000 lbs or more.

Thanks again,

* This post was edited 11/08/19 09:07am by intravino *

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/19 09:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^ So you’re more mechanically saavy than you let on in the first post. That’s awesome.
Joes communication message is spot on.
Regarding the trucks. You DONT want a Powerstroke from 03.5-10. Period.
The 5.4 F250 is a reliable platform and decently reliable engine. Could spit a plug r 2, but I’ve been around 100s of those trucks beat up daily in heavy construction work and they are good. But it’ll be gutless compared to most other alternatives.
The 6.7 Cummins is a good decision IMO, IF you’re willing to delete the emissions.
Honestly, though for simplicity, that truck in the picture is literally the simplest, easiest to work on, reasonably priced repair parts truck out there.
Plus, it’ll pull like a train with just a wee bit of tuning.

Completely off topic, but this is an example of the resale of a 2wd vs a 4wd for all the folks that argue about how
Much more 4x4s set you back.
The current owner of that truck in the picture could have sold that truck 5x already for twice the money if it was a 4x4. 2wd trucks truly are bargains.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Pick up for TC
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS