|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Pick up for TC

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/19 09:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Also, we had several 2nd gen dishes back in the day. I felt the build quality was on par with the other mfgs.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/19 11:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

intravino...Very nice looking truck..I was looking for a truck to do the same as you last year and in the same price range,I would have scooped up that one in a hurry..

Any truck that looks as clean as that one would most likely be maintained as well as it looks..A guy I worked with had rental property and I asked him,how do you get decent renters that don't trash the place

His reply was..I look at the car or truck they drove here and check the inside as well as the outside as to how well they take care of things..Seems to work for him and I have to agree with his analogy..

As to the Ford 5.4..I just sold one with 35K on it..It is totally comparable to my sons Chevy 6.0 in actual power and fuel mileage pulling trailers to 29'..I only sold it because of the spark plug issues and the money I got for it, was above average..

Good luck in your hunt for a good used pickup..There are some really good ones out there if you look hard enough and take your time..

'94 Ford DRW/460
Lance 9.6
Yamaha Rhino in tow
Elk hunt'n Idaho

joerg68

St. Ingbert, Germany

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/19 02:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

An F150 with a payload package can haul some of the smaller campers around.
But it will still reach its limits fairly soon.
You can't have too much truck is a sentiment frequently heard around TCers.
If you consider a regular cab, be forewarned that the typical TC offers limited storage - especially the lighter builds. So most of us are happy to have some extra space in the cab. I had a Silverado 2500HD Regular Cab for a number of years, and the lack of storage space was one of the reasons why I went with the extended cab we have now.
I picked the Ford 6.2 gas engine as it has a pretty solid reputation, and 2011-16 the transmission was the same as in the 6.7 Diesels. You don't hear a lot of bad things about these trucks mechanically. They do like to rust (as all of them do) without additional rustproofing.

2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow

intravino

Quebec

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/19 02:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

An F150 with a payload package can haul some of the smaller campers around.
But it will still reach its limits fairly soon.
You can't have too much truck is a sentiment frequently heard around TCers.
If you consider a regular cab, be forewarned that the typical TC offers limited storage - especially the lighter builds. So most of us are happy to have some extra space in the cab. I had a Silverado 2500HD Regular Cab for a number of years, and the lack of storage space was one of the reasons why I went with the extended cab we have now.
I picked the Ford 6.2 gas engine as it has a pretty solid reputation, and 2011-16 the transmission was the same as in the 6.7 Diesels. You don't hear a lot of bad things about these trucks mechanically. They do like to rust (as all of them do) without additional rustproofing.

Thanks for insight.

I guess payload is similar to what boaters calls the foot disease, you always need a bigger boat.

I read really bad things about Travel Lite on this forum about leaking even when almost new. Is this still the case with the build quality of Travel Lite ?

Thanks,

noteven

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/19 04:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes my Cirrus 820 is pretty close to 3000lbs ready to roll. This week I'm looking at quiet radiant heated 20c inside on a -19c morning, no frost on the windas, and about 5 - 6lbs propane per day. I hope not to reach it's cold capability limit before I can motor south [emoticon]

joerg68

St. Ingbert, Germany

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/19 05:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Campers/RVs are not built to the same manufacturing standards as, say, passenger vehicles.
They are manufactured in the sense that there is mostly manual labor involved.
The resulting quality can vary greatly - by manufacturer, but also within a production run.
Have a close look at the camper candidates. Are there experienced RV owners in your area that you could take along?
You will run into the discussions wood frame vs. aluminum frame vs. fiberglass molded etc.
All have advantages and disadvantages in one way or another.
Classic wood construction is easy to repair, but also more prone to water damage. But there is plenty of wood in almost all campers, just less for structural purposes.
Travelite campers do have some reputation, but there are also happy owners out there who do not experience major issues. Same with Palomino, another brand at the lower end of the price range. I hear they have focused more on quality recently.
I am very happy with my (wood framed) Northstar camper.
But really you need to look at the layout and features of the camper as well. And then, I guess availability plays its role - of the camper and the money to pay for it.
If you consider buying a camper with existing damage on the cheap to fix yourself: It is always much worse than it initially looks, and takes much more time to complete. Ask yourself if you want to fix a camper or travel in it.
And then there is the truck camper university sticky thread with a lot of useful reading material if you want to see a list of all the things that can break and need fixing...

ajriding

st clair

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/19 10:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a very rare TC that I would never find again, but if I were to have to buy a TC now I would strongly consider a Northern Lite or Bigfoot. Both similar and both are two-piece fiberglass shells, like an upside down boat. They can only leak at the openings as there is no seams except where they are joined, but which they overlap so cannot leak.

They are also a 4-season camper which I wish I had. Keeping pipes thawed on cold nights is VERY difficult for summer campers.

The TCs with basements are taller, so you lose clearance and a tad bit of mpg, but you gain space that the tanks usually take up.

You said this truck had CAD, which refers to the front axle on 4x4 trucks only, so I thought it was a 4x4.

Think carefully about getting a diesel. They are super powerful workhorses and will run years beyond gas engines, but the gain in mpg does not always off-set some of the expenses of a diesel.

You will also nee to run 2-cycle oil in the diesel tank (one quart per fill up/ 30 gallons), so will add another 15 cents per gallon at the pump. The oil protects the injectors. 20 years ago diesel fuel had more sulfur which aided in lubracation. Some people add the oil, some do not. If you want 100 different opinions on this topic it will not be hard to find.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/19 11:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have ya bought that beauty yet?

burningman

Seattle, WA USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/19 12:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That truck has a Dana 70 rear axle. Dana rates it for 7500 pounds, even though Dodge put a lower number on it.
It’s probably a great rig.
Your camper weight expectations aren’t realistic. Listed “dry weights” are pure fantasy land.
In general, that truck should be fine with any camper in the 8 to 10 foot range.

FORGET buying any half ton. 2500s are way under-rated. The biggest weight issue with half ton trucks is the wimpy rear axle. The wheels ride on the axle shafts, with one small bearing at each end.
3/4 tons generally have “floating” axles with a hub on each end that rides on two large bearings. The axle shafts just supply the power.

2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

burningman

Seattle, WA USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/19 12:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The first thing that truck needs is wider mirrors, you can’t see around a camper with the ones it has on it.
2nd Gen Dodge tow mirrors

They’re later model flip out mirrors that bolt to that ‘99.
You need them.
You can get manual ones or electric and heated.
If you add heated ones and it didn’t have them already, you’ll need the heater control panel that has the switch and circuitry. Available on eBay.
If you add power adjustable mirrors and the truck didn’t have that already, you’ll need the switch for that, also available on eBay. It mounts in a hole on the driver for that will have a cap over it if not originally equipped.
The wiring is usually already there in the truck.
Everything just plugs right in.

* This post was edited 11/09/19 12:31pm by burningman *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Pick up for TC
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS