|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Battery storage

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
OleManOleCan

Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/19 02:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would disconnect the batteries and take them to my house.
I can set them on a shelf and put a trickle charge on them sometimes.
Less chance of them walking off that way.
ALSO...
Make sure every door and Hatch is locked. Don't leave anything in you storage unit or camper that might be stolen.
Wouldn't hurt to put a shackle on your trailers hitch too.

OleManOleCan

Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/19 02:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would disconnect the batteries and take them to my house.
I can set them on a shelf and put a trickle charge on them sometimes.
Less chance of them walking off that way.
ALSO...
Make sure every door and Hatch is locked. Don't leave anything in your storage unit or camper that might be stolen.
Wouldn't hurt to put a shackle on your trailers hitch too.

ADK Camper

New york

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/19 02:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Related to my TT battery’s winterization, am I good just plugging in the TT? Will this keep the battery warm/charged?

Most campers have WFCO converters that are supposed to automatically switch to "float mode" to keep a battery topped off. Unfortunately most WFCO converters operate only in adsorption mode and NEVER switch to float mode. If your converter operates this way it could overcharge your battery if left connected for a long period. This may cause the water level to drop and damage the battery. I believe you would be better off using a dedicated float charger.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/19 04:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi profdant139,

1% per day for an old tired worn out jar.
6% per month for a brand spanking new battery.

The colder it is the slower the chemical reaction--so cold storage is better so long as the battery is fully charged to start with.

That said, I will leave my car on a 1 amp charger for 3 hours per day for the next 120 days. But that is because of parasitic loads from the vehicle.

profdant139 wrote:

So I am going to display my ignorance, once again -- I had thought that if a battery is left disconnected, it will discharge about one percent per day. And after a couple of months, that discharge could shorten the battery's useful life.

* This post was edited 11/09/19 08:48am by pianotuna *

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

owenssailor

Ontario

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/07/19 08:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm in Ontario where it gets cold. For the last 40 years I fully charge the 2 batteries in our boat and ensure no loads on them. For my Miata and John Deere tractor the same thing - fully charge and take off battery cables.

I leave them in Nov and come back in April. Batteries are all still mostly fully charged.

Batteries with no load on them are fine in cold weather over the whole winter

2011 Jayco 28U
2012 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 6 spd 3.42 (sold)
2017 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 8 spd 3.42
Equal-i-Zer 1400/14000
RotoChocks

Vintage465

Prunedale CA.

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/19 07:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GrandpaKip wrote:

Our camper is plugged in continually when at home. Never had any problems with batteries.

I used to do this and found that it shot my energy bill up substantially. Didn't realize what caused it til I sold that trailer and it left. Then my Electric bill went from $120.00 to $60.00-$80.00. That was running a converter.

V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Denali. 2015 Creekside 20fq w/450 watts solar. Retiring in 2021, then look-out road, here we come!

Vintage465

Prunedale CA.

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/19 07:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

Instead of powering up the converter and any parasitic loads, I disconnect the battery and use a Battery Tender for a few days a month. It could be left on indefinitely, but I have other uses for it. With the trailer plugged in it is exposed to any electrical glitches in the power system. Cold will not harm a fully charged battery, in fact cooler temperatures are better for it.

My Brother does a similar set up as you do but he set up a timer so it cycles on and off a couple times a month.

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/19 08:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ADK Camper wrote:

Related to my TT battery’s winterization, am I good just plugging in the TT? Will this keep the battery warm/charged?

Most campers have WFCO converters that are supposed to automatically switch to "float mode" to keep a battery topped off. Unfortunately most WFCO converters operate only in adsorption mode and NEVER switch to float mode. If your converter operates this way it could overcharge your battery if left connected for a long period. This may cause the water level to drop and damage the battery. I believe you would be better off using a dedicated float charger.

True That.

It is amazing to me that the most common convertor on the market is the worst one.

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2010 Palomino Sabre 30 BHDS
84 gal. Grey. 84 gal. Black
2 bathrooms, no waiting
2011 Silverado CC DA big dually.

TurnThePage

North ID

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/19 09:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My WFCO wasn't awesome by any means, but aside from no real boost mode, it charged and maintained the batteries OK.

I used to mess with removing the batteries, but that is a pain, literally. Mine sit on the tongue of the trailer that's plugged into shore power. I haven't noticed that huge electric bill noted above.

Least amount of effort, most bang for the buck.

2015 Ram 1500
2004 Pioneer 18T6

GrandpaKip

Flat Rock

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/09/19 08:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TurnThePage wrote:

My WFCO wasn't awesome by any means, but aside from no real boost mode, it charged and maintained the batteries OK.

I used to mess with removing the batteries, but that is a pain, literally. Mine sit on the tongue of the trailer that's plugged into shore power. I haven't noticed that huge electric bill noted above.

Least amount of effort, most bang for the buck.

The WFCO converter has worked for us, too. I want to change it out for a Progressive unit, though.
I haven’t seen a jump in electric use, either.

Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Battery storage
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS