RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Cummins 5 year old synthetic oil with 1000 miles - change ?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> Cummins 5 year old synthetic oil with 1000 miles - change ?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Lwiddis

Veterans’ Park, Monterey, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/07/19 07:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Being 75, sick, broke and driving just a few miles isn’t the issue. Maintenance is maintenance.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

olfarmer

Iowa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/07/19 07:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I say go for it, it will be fine. As for the tires if they are less than 10 years old I wouldn't worry about them. I have had tires older than that with no problems, look at the condition, if they are cracked or weather checked then they need to be replaced! Most tire companies say 10 years if they are in good condition. On edit. I missed the 10000 miles on the oil. I wouldn't drive anything 10000 miles on an oil change whether it is synthetic or dino. I think that is just too far! I would say 5000 with syn oil. 3000 with dino oil.

* This post was edited 11/09/19 11:43pm by olfarmer *

Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/19 07:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can't see how anyone can say it's OK to put 10K miles on that engines oil without knowing waht exact eng and year it is. A lot of Cummins engine didn't have anything near a 10K mile oil change interval.

As far as the acidic thing and old oil, I don't buy it. I once let an old car (1964 Thunderbird) sit for roughly 6 years and then I rebuilt the eng. The bearings didn't show any signs of being eaten by acid.
I can see the reasoning behind the theory but in pratice it doesnt seem to be an issue.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

Chum lee

Albuquerque, NM

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/19 07:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Normally I'm not a fan of testing oil, (in lieu of changing it) but in this case, he could spend +-$40.00 and have the oil tested by a lab to see if it's fit for continued use.

Or there's the oil blotter test using a clean white business card for free.

https://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/499/blotter-spot-method

Chum lee

11178adm

nw mo

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/07/19 08:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would at least change the filter. if there was any moisture in the oil it could have caused the paper to deteriorate in 5 years. acid in the oil is'nt the problem that it was in the past due to ultra low sulfur diesel

grldst

Dallas, GA

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/19 08:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know very little about synthetic oil, just wondering does synthetic age or break down with age as much as real oil?

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/19 07:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Use the oil but I’d worry about the tires.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

08 HR Navigator 45'
Sold 04 Dynasty after 14 great years.
[url=https://i.

twodownzero

NM

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/19 07:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I sent my oil in for analysis after ~4 years and 14,227 miles and it was still perfectly fine and I could have left it in there.

sundancer268

Charlevoix

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/08/19 10:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My oil is going on 5 years and last year I only put on about 350 miles. Blackstone labs says to keep going as the oil is good and I am running Dino, not Syn. I would not worry about it especially for the short haul though I would put enough miles on it during the moves to get the engine and oil hot, maybe a 30-45 minute drive on the highway and not city streets.

U. S. Navy (RETIRED) 1993
1995 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 34' Diesel Pusher Cummins B5.9 12 Valve Engine, Allison MD-3060 6 Speed Transmission.
TOAD: 2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
Road Master Sterling All-Terrain, Airforce One

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/08/19 11:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would be more concerned about the tires sitting for so long than the oil. I would forget about the oil and drive a little slower than normal to get to the destination. Of course you want to make sure that the tires are properly inflated with maybe some extra to keep them cooler. After the engine warms up it will burn off any moisture that has gotten in to the oil.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> Cummins 5 year old synthetic oil with 1000 miles - change ?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS