|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/08/19 12:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

See an Orthopedist! If it is inflammation he can give you a shot and stay off it for a bit. If you have damaged the meniscus it may take arthroscopic knee surgery to extract the torn bits.

mr. ed

amarillo, tx

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/19 01:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks, folks. I appreciate all the experiences and advice. I'm 75 now, and throughout my life I've put off going to a doctor unless I found it necessary. I always try helping myself first. It's worked well for the first 70 years. Beside the various oils I mentioned, I've also been taking a tumeric/curcumin supplement, but not too regularly. I'll start using it more regularly now. I'm also starting on glucosamine/ chondroitin today, although I've had some reservations in the past. My current pain level isn't high enough yet to be debilitating. Thankfully, I take no other medications.

I'm also wondering if any of you has used any topical ointment that you've found effective?
I do have my doubts about these topical products since I don't see how they can have any effect on problems no where near the surface of the skin. Your thoughts are appreciated.

* This post was edited 11/08/19 01:24pm by mr. ed *

Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

sayoung

Tx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/08/19 02:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quit jacking around with the home remedies and get it fixed. You will be glad you did after the rehab, not before. I understand not wanting to go to a Dr.. I am very reluctant myself but have learned at 71 it's about quality of my life and pain free is a good place to be.

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/08/19 02:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have a mechanical problem, then snake oil will do nothing. Kinda like adding Motor Honey to an engine with failing bearings.

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/08/19 07:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm also wondering if any of you has used any topical ointment that you've found effective?

My ortho says they are a waste of money. I tried a prescription cream on my shoulder and it was useless. Heat therapy at this point for you if there is no swelling is probably best.

Don't want to sound like an alarmist but a friend of mine was in a similar situation and just kept putting off going to the doctor. Turns out it was bone cancer. If it doesn't get better soon you should go. Just because the first 70 years were fine just means you got lucky.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

sayoung

Tx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/08/19 07:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Crowe wrote:

Just because the first 70 years were fine just means you got lucky.

My late MiL had a saying, " getting old is NOT for sissies "

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/08/19 08:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the miniscus is torn yu risk doing a lot more damage, to the rest of it, if you don't get it fixed

doxiemom11

Yoakum Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/08/19 10:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just a thought, my knees bother me occasionally and I finally realized it is when we are traveling and using the electric steps for the motorhome. When we are sitting we have wooden steps and the steps are not as high as each step for the motorhome. The wooden steps are built like you would have at your home. Makes a difference for my knees.

Pawz4me

North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/19 05:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mr. ed wrote:

I've heard of glucosamine/chondroitin, but have also read that it's falling out of favor among those who study these things. My brother told me that he gave glucosamine/chondroitin to his dog, who suffered a sore knee, and it appeared to work in about 3 weeks.

According to my vet and to an internal medicine doctor I used to see -- All dogs have the enzyme needed to metabolize glucosamine/chondroitin. Only about 50 percent of people have that necessary enzyme.

I have rheumatoid arthritis, and with my rheumatologist's blessing I tried curcumin/turmeric. He says there is some solid science that says it does help some people. He recommended 500 mg. twice a day. I took it for about seven months but couldn't tell it helped me even a tiny bit, so I stopped. I do have relatives with osteoarthritis who believe it helps them.

* This post was edited 11/09/19 05:09am by Pawz4me *

Me, DH and Yogi (Shih Tzu)
2017 Winnebago Travato 59K

Pawz4me

North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/19 05:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mr. ed wrote:

Voltaren (diclofenac) prescription cream helps somewhat with my fingers and wrists. But according to my rheumatologist it works best for small joints; not so well for larger ones. Any topical treatment can only penetrate so far.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.