|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Fizz

Ottawa, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/19 06:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You also have to work those joints to keep them lubricated. We do a 45 min walk every day. If I go off for a few days I start to feel it. I especially notice on the stairs. Like a reminder to get off my butt and get moving. It takes a few days to feel better.
Work up gradually but don’t stop walking.

mr. ed

Tucson AZ

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/19 08:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pawz4me wrote:

mr. ed wrote:

I'm also wondering if any of you has used any topical ointment that you've found effective?

Voltaren (diclofenac) prescription cream helps somewhat with my fingers and wrists. But according to my rheumatologist it works best for small joints; not so well for larger ones. Any topical treatment can only penetrate so far.

Just as I thought!

Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

K_and_I

North Central Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/09/19 09:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mr. ed wrote:

Pawz4me wrote:

mr. ed wrote:

I'm also wondering if any of you has used any topical ointment that you've found effective?

Voltaren (diclofenac) prescription cream helps somewhat with my fingers and wrists. But according to my rheumatologist it works best for small joints; not so well for larger ones. Any topical treatment can only penetrate so far.

Just as I thought!

I used the Voltaren Gel on my knee for a year or so before having the knee replaced. I found it helped quite a bit.

K_and_I
2011 Rockwood 2604
Nights Camped in 2019: 85
Do we have time for shortcuts?

aftermath

Washington State

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/09/19 11:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My main concern about using all these home remedies, gels, tonics, salves, tinctures, aroma therapy, etc. is that some can actually do harm. I had a neighbor widow in her 80s suffering from depression. She went to a doctor and got some help. Later, she heard of a miracle herb that would restore her memory. She bought some at the local "health" store. In short order she spiraled downward and became almost incoherent. The herb was reacting to the drug she had been prescribed.

A friend of mine in his late 60's was experiencing pain in his legs. He did not like doctors so tried everything he heard of. Salves, liniments, even special diets didn't work. He went to an acupuncturist and did get some relief, but it was not long lasting. Finally, after a couple of years of this chasing quick easy fixes he went to an orthopedist and found that he had some type of disc issue. They operated and he was fine but the doctor told him that if he had come in when he first experienced the pain it would have been a lot easier on him.

My point, and this has been mentioned here, go see a doctor. No, they are not perfect. Yes, you can get a second opinion but in either case you can decide for yourself which direction you choose. You can ask him/her about all the things you have asked us. Making an informed decision will always be best. In today's world, getting confirmation about your health from a blog might not be the best research. Good luck. I am only 68 but have had a few issues that doctors have solved. Cancer, heart valve and a benign tumor in the old noggin. If I had waited, especially with the first case, all the liniment out there would not have saved me.

2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

mr. ed

Tucson AZ

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/19 12:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, I went ahead and requested an appointment with my team at the VA medical facility here in Tucson. In the meantime, Aleve pills are helping, along with the knee brace. [emoticon]

mr. ed

Tucson AZ

View Profile

Posted: 11/25/19 08:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just had a checkup at my local VA clinic. Heart rhythm and pulse rate are virtually perfect( 62 BPM), and blood pressure is perfect (120/80). Not bad for 75 yrs old! [emoticon]

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/25/19 10:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just had a checkup at my local VA clinic. Heart rhythm and pulse rate are virtually perfect( 62 BPM), and blood pressure is perfect (120/80). Not bad for 75 yrs old!

Not bad indeed BUT what about your knee?

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

mr. ed

Tucson AZ

View Profile

Posted: 11/25/19 03:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Knee will be taken care of in a few weeks by the VA. We're trying physical therapy first and possibly an injection. In he meantime Tylenol helps, although I try not to take it often (I don't like taking any sort of medication, if I can avoid it). I do take one baby aspirin a day on the advice of the clinic. i don't mind that since it's such a small dose (81 mg).

doxiemom11

Yoakum Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/25/19 04:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Make sure you are drinking enough water too -- dehydration will affect your joints and muscles.

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/25/19 05:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Had an MRI on both knees today to determine what type of replacements will be needed (partial or full). My insurance will pay the bulk of it and the remainder is out of pocket, just like my DW's one full replacement one year ago.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.