RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Electric Pickup?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Electric Pickup?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/19 04:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As EV'S become more popular it might be possible for gas stations to put in a charge area for electric vehicles to boost sales.

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/19 04:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Terryallan wrote:

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

Reisender wrote:

Terryallan wrote:

This goes back to convenience. Why should I have to worry is there is a charging station between me and my destination, or even if there is one at my destination. I know there is a gas station on the way, and a 99.99 percent chance there is one at my destination. I have been on islands where there was no gas station. You just get it before you cross the bridge.

Exactly. Why worry about it. Just check your app or car software. Charge stations in Britain are plentiful. EV’s have gauges that indicate charge level no different than a gas gauge. If someone is unable to grasp the simple concept that vehicles need fuel then they should probably be denied a drivers license. As you said. If you are going somewhere that doesn’t have a fueling point or charging point then make alternative arrangements.

This is a non issue.

Thus I propose an IQ test prior to owning an EV.[emoticon]

Thing is. I KNOW there is a gas station nearby. Here. there are no charging stations. Which is why I can't use a EV.

Plug share shows about 80 charge stations within a 100 miles of your location including level 2 AC and DCFC of various networks. All of which would be useless to you if your home has electricity as you would do pretty much all your charging there. Generally speaking few people use charging stations anywhere around where they live. Unless you can’t charge at home of course.

* This post was edited 11/13/19 05:58pm by Reisender *

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/13/19 06:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

Terryallan wrote:

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

Reisender wrote:

Terryallan wrote:

This goes back to convenience. Why should I have to worry is there is a charging station between me and my destination, or even if there is one at my destination. I know there is a gas station on the way, and a 99.99 percent chance there is one at my destination. I have been on islands where there was no gas station. You just get it before you cross the bridge.

Exactly. Why worry about it. Just check your app or car software. Charge stations in Britain are plentiful. EV’s have gauges that indicate charge level no different than a gas gauge. If someone is unable to grasp the simple concept that vehicles need fuel then they should probably be denied a drivers license. As you said. If you are going somewhere that doesn’t have a fueling point or charging point then make alternative arrangements.

This is a non issue.

Thus I propose an IQ test prior to owning an EV.[emoticon]

Thing is. I KNOW there is a gas station nearby. Here. there are no charging stations. Which is why I can't use a EV.

Plug share shows about 80 charge stations within a 100 miles of your location including level 2 AC and DCFC of various networks. All of which would be useless to you if your home has electricity as you would do pretty much all your charging there. Generally speaking few people use charging stations anywhere around where they live. Unless you can’t charge at home of course.

And where else that the gas (in case of EV power up) is brought into your home.

Or where you can ask your car to text you when it's dome and fully charge. Or, calculate and map out for you the mileage into your next charging station (and currently, given out for free by the car manufacturer).

mich800

Pontiac, MI

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/19 06:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

colliehauler wrote:

As EV'S become more popular it might be possible for gas stations to put in a charge area for electric vehicles to boost sales.

That real estate is way too expensive to tie up space for a relatively low margin high time consuming endeavor.

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/19 06:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mich800 wrote:

colliehauler wrote:

That real estate is way too expensive to tie up space for a relatively low margin high time consuming endeavor.

Ah no. Its already happening. PetroCan, Shell, Canadian Tire, Common in Europe.

[image]

[image]

[image]

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/13/19 06:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mich800 wrote:

colliehauler wrote:

At 2cents per gallon margin, most gas stations are making more money on food and other items.

The longer customer linger on the station, the more they buy.

But I don't think Tesla and the EV owners are waiting for them to do that.

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/19 07:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

mich800 wrote:

colliehauler wrote:

At 2cents per gallon margin, most gas stations are making more money on food and other items.

A lot of gas stations have fast food restaurant's in them as well. Eat lunch and charge your vehicle.

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/19 07:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

colliehauler wrote:

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

mich800 wrote:

colliehauler wrote:

A lot of gas stations have fast food restaurant's in them as well. Eat lunch and charge your vehicle.

That’s what we do. But we don’t drive a Tesla. The average V3 Supercharger stop duration is around 16 minutes. So you better eat quick. Those suckers charge fast.

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/13/19 08:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

Bobbo wrote:

Towing 3 tons of trailer, or more, at 65 mph for 250 to 300 miles before a recharge is needed? This is an RV forum. If it can't do that under common towing conditions, then for us it can't do that.

If you are expecting 15 minutes recharge cycle from a nearly fully drawn or drained battery, then this is not for you.

There is nothing yet except speculation of a claim of 500 mile range. Again, it's not yet independently tested under towing conditions nor to verify the range under actual driving conditions.

My own benchmark as I want a Tesla pick up mainly for my RV towing, is a range of 300 miles.

I usually take my lunch coinciding with my gas up which takes me about 45 to 1 hour, then that's much I tolerate for the recharging. My other wish list is that campsites will have superchargers.

Thank you. My point, exactly, is that an EV will not allow me to do what I do now with my ICE. Or, even get close.

Reisender wrote:

I don’t think I would need 300 miles if towing range as we would never travel that far without a substantial break. Maybe 400 kilometers max would work.

Everyone's needs are different. Last September, we spent 5 weeks doing a leaf changing tour in the northeast US. It took us 4 days just to get to our starting point, driving 400 to 500 miles per day. At 250 to 300 miles per day, it would have taken us a week just to get to our starting point.

Bobbo, Linda and the furry kid (45 pound rescue)
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/13/19 08:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

colliehauler wrote:

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

mich800 wrote:

colliehauler wrote:

That’s what we do. But we don’t drive a Tesla. The average V3 Supercharger stop duration is around 16 minutes. So you better eat quick. Those suckers charge fast.

That's what I need, no time for wifey to shop.[emoticon][emoticon][emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Electric Pickup?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS