RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Electric Pickup?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Electric Pickup?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/08/19 08:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RoyF wrote:

How many pickup owners actually haul anything? Looking at all the pickups in my area, it is not many.

That's the argument the Greenies and EPA and NHTSA used.
Our 05 F150 has taken us to Canada and all around the Country, however at home we have hauled all manner of things for home and lawn/field.It has pulled a car on a trailer to Ky.
The Vehicle is roomy but the seats not as large or comfy a 2002 and prior thanks to NHTSA. The roominess and ride is sufficient reason.
You can put a lot of groceries in the back seat, and if that is not enough locking tops and caps on the bed. Try hauling a Christmas tree in Toyota. Or bikes to repair shop and a thousand other uses. All of this by the feds and Auto Makers is supposdely going to save us money an the environment? We now have a new Edge with the largest motor a 2.7 liter twin turbos. It gets less mileage than our old 3.7 non turbo and does not perform as well,. You have to downshift it on hills especially down hill, if the auto shifting own through 8 gears won't slow it enough in cruise.And neither one got as much mpg as our 6.3 AMG 6.3 with three times more power and doesn't need to downshift up or down a hill. As long as it is in cruise or you use a steady foot, at 75, 95, 120, in seventh gear it gets around 22mpg. Floor it of course it's a different story.
Electric cars someone in town has a Tesla and a few moths ago he was stopped along side the Interstate half way between home and Nashville
A gas can would do him no good and he Imagine had to be towed to somewhere to sit for a day to get charged.
And if it is too cold or too hot battery range goes down, use the ac and or heat and battery range goes down, or the lights or windshield wipers or the entertainment center.Now imagine towing your boat to Toledo Bend with an electric motor or going hunting fifty miles from civilization.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/08/19 08:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

Terryallan wrote:

Reisender wrote:

Terryallan wrote:

RoyF wrote:

How many pickup owners actually haul anything? Looking at all the pickups in my area, it is not many.

I do. If you own a house, you need and use a truck. From hauling mulch, sand, pavers for side walks, lawnmowers, gravel, bikes, plywood, fire wood. The list is endless. And yeah. even groceries. Also need the bed to put suitcases in while traveling.

thing is. when you go get sand, gravel, or mulch. A truck is the perfect thing for them to use the front end loader to dump what ever you are buying in the bed.

Or a 700 dollar utility trailer. Our extended family bought one about 10 years ago as none of us own trucks but all own houses. It has done a lot of work over the years. We all pull it with hatchbacks or SUV’s. I have no problem with people owning trucks if that’s what they like but suggesting that a truck is a requirement if one owns a house is a huge stretch.

We do have a neighbour with a truck that borrows our trailer whenever there is s dirty job. Doesn’t want to scratch his truck box. [emoticon].

Scratches? I always thought that's what bed covers were for. But in truth. If I am at the hardware store, and see something I want. I just load it. I don't have to go get the trailer. and unless the trailer has solid sides, bottom, and tailgate. sand, gravel, and mulch runs out. I've seen people leave a trail all the way home from the mulch yard. Unless you put a tarp in it. I don't have to put a tarp in the truck. and I'm not sure I'd want to put 2 scoops of sand, or mulch, in one of those little trailers.

It may not be a requirement. But it sure is a handy thing to have. especially if you do a lot of stuff to the house, and lawn. plus, I don't have to find a place to park a trailer.

I would, and did have a truck if I had or didn't have a camper. Always did.

I hear ya on the storage. Luckily one of the family members has a small acreage. Can't store anything in our Townhouse community. Ours is a solid bottom. Looking kinda rough after 10 years of shared use. [emoticon]

Have you all not heard of Home Depot a-day's rentals of trucks, trailers, cherry pickers...?

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/19 07:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

Reisender wrote:

Terryallan wrote:

Reisender wrote:

Terryallan wrote:

RoyF wrote:

I do. If you own a house, you need and use a truck. From hauling mulch, sand, pavers for side walks, lawnmowers, gravel, bikes, plywood, fire wood. The list is endless. And yeah. even groceries. Also need the bed to put suitcases in while traveling.

thing is. when you go get sand, gravel, or mulch. A truck is the perfect thing for them to use the front end loader to dump what ever you are buying in the bed.

Or a 700 dollar utility trailer. Our extended family bought one about 10 years ago as none of us own trucks but all own houses. It has done a lot of work over the years. We all pull it with hatchbacks or SUV’s. I have no problem with people owning trucks if that’s what they like but suggesting that a truck is a requirement if one owns a house is a huge stretch.

We do have a neighbour with a truck that borrows our trailer whenever there is s dirty job. Doesn’t want to scratch his truck box. [emoticon].

Scratches? I always thought that's what bed covers were for. But in truth. If I am at the hardware store, and see something I want. I just load it. I don't have to go get the trailer. and unless the trailer has solid sides, bottom, and tailgate. sand, gravel, and mulch runs out. I've seen people leave a trail all the way home from the mulch yard. Unless you put a tarp in it. I don't have to put a tarp in the truck. and I'm not sure I'd want to put 2 scoops of sand, or mulch, in one of those little trailers.

It may not be a requirement. But it sure is a handy thing to have. especially if you do a lot of stuff to the house, and lawn. plus, I don't have to find a place to park a trailer.

I would, and did have a truck if I had or didn't have a camper. Always did.

I hear ya on the storage. Luckily one of the family members has a small acreage. Can't store anything in our Townhouse community. Ours is a solid bottom. Looking kinda rough after 10 years of shared use. [emoticon]

Have you all not heard of Home Depot a-day's rentals of trucks, trailers, cherry pickers...?

why go to all the trouble of renting a truck, when I have one sitting in the driveway. you are talking extra trips to Home Depot, and extra money. I'm talking walk in, buy, load and go home.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/09/19 08:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Terryallan wrote:

why go to all the trouble of renting a truck, when I have one sitting in the driveway. you are talking extra trips to Home Depot, and extra money. I'm talking walk in, buy, load and go home.

That's for those who don't want their shiny trucks smelling like **** when hauling cheap organic fertilizer from Walmart.

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/19 03:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

Terryallan wrote:

That's for those who don't want their shiny trucks smelling like **** when hauling cheap organic fertilizer from Walmart.

LOL. [emoticon] It's on the outside, so not a problem. Well not for me, maybe the people behind me [emoticon]

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/19 07:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RoyF wrote:

Very true. Many don't haul anything more than a very large ego. How often is the average homeowner needing the bed of a pickup to haul a sheet of plywood?

A 40mpg around town grocery getter like a Toyota Yaris would be my 2nd vehicle. The truck would sit to do its job hauling the trailer & that occasional run for plywood.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/19 07:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have to smile when I see all the comments trying to justify the ownership of a pickup outside of its use for RV propulsion.

Try this one out. I live in a place where car ownership is restricted to ONE car per HOUSEHOLD. No personal trucks. Further, car size is restricted what you call sub compact cars. Mine is a 2004 Toyota Yaris. About the size of a Suzuki Swift.

Can't fit a sheet of plywood in it but it has carried everything else needed for home projects up to multiple boards 10' or longer shoved in the back & wedged on the dashboard. Bags of cement, concrete block, boxes of tile are all easy stuff for it.

For anything big I have friends in construction who have trucks or there are commercial truckers available by the hour.

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/10/19 07:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Veebyes wrote:

Try this one out. I live in a place where car ownership is restricted to ONE car per HOUSEHOLD. No personal trucks. Further, car size is restricted what you call sub compact cars. Mine is a 2004 Toyota Yaris. About the size of a Suzuki Swift.

I didn't know Maryland was so restrictive! [emoticon]

Bobbo, Linda and the furry kid (45 pound rescue)
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/10/19 10:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bobbo wrote:

Veebyes wrote:

I didn't know Maryland was so restrictive! [emoticon]

I can't imagine living that way, but I guess some need total control.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/10/19 05:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For us RVers, pick up or a an SUV is a must to tow our RVs.

And EV makes sense for our long travel miles.

Right now I can imagine a big percentage of us will be opting for EV trucks when available and makes economic sense.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Electric Pickup?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS