|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Wheel Bearings

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/19 04:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

x2 I see no rip off in this. and its not a hard job you could do it your self.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/19 07:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

Pretty much a temporary fix, after all grease is just basically oil in suspension.

OK how does one keep the oil in the cap once it gets turned so the oil doesn't fall out before re connecting cap???

If ya gots this system like I do ya pull plug n fill to bottom of hole and re install plug. Op most likely does not have this.

[image]

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/09/19 10:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

The wheel probably was severely out of alignment and was operating with a side load on the bearings. The mechanic understands this and gave reasonable advice.

I agree, its never a bad idea under those conditions to pack the bearings.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/19 11:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

fj12ryder wrote:

Pretty much a temporary fix, after all grease is just basically oil in suspension.

OK how does one keep the oil in the cap once it gets turned so the oil doesn't fall out before re connecting cap???

If ya gots this system like I do ya pull plug n fill to bottom of hole and re install plug. Op most likely does not have this.

Looks like you answered your own question.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/19 12:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

fj12ryder wrote:

Looks like you answered your own question.

Do you know he does?

If he does it's a horrible idea and will likely leak out the back seal and ruin the drums if that's what he has.

OP has an 05 Everest, highly unlikely he has anything other than a simple pound on steel cap. OP, what say you???

Some one wants to be confrontational today!!!

2oldman

Ca

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/19 01:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gmg wrote:

do you think that would have caused any damage to the wheel bearings.
No. If it did you would have seen evidence right away.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/19 01:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Do you know he does?

If he does it's a horrible idea and will likely leak out the back seal and ruin the drums if that's what he has.

OP has an 05 Everest, highly unlikely he has anything other than a simple pound on steel cap. OP, what say you???

Don't mean to be confrontational, I assume the person referring to adding oil was thinking the OP had a rubber cover as with the EZ-Lube axles. Pop off the rubber cover, remove a bit of grease, add a bit of oil back in, replace the cover, and spin the wheel. When the wheel is spun the grease and oil will mix to a certain degree, and soften the hardened grease. Since, don't forget, that was mentioned as the reason to add some oil. Pretty straightforward all in all.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/19 03:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Do you know he does?

Don't mean to be confrontational, I assume the person referring to adding oil was thinking the OP had a rubber cover as with the EZ-Lube axles. Pop off the rubber cover, remove a bit of grease, add a bit of oil back in, replace the cover, and spin the wheel. When the wheel is spun the grease and oil will mix to a certain degree, and soften the hardened grease. Since, don't forget, that was mentioned as the reason to add some oil. Pretty straightforward all in all.

Ok, we are good!!!

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/19 03:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A cap full on 90 weight oil is not going to soften the grease to where it runs past the seal. I’ve been doing this for decades after making sure the bearings do not need adjusting. I fill the metal cap with the 90 weight and hold the cap against the bottom of the hub. Rotate 90 degrees quickly with one hand and tap it in with the hammer in the other hand. How much oil you loose is a function of your dexterity and it helps to do it in the shade of a tree. [emoticon]

PS: I put tags on a dozen different types of trailers each year. I also never buy new tires for them as used, US made radial takeoffs (less than 3-4 years old) are better than any of the new foreign made junk.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

08 HR Navigator 45'
Sold 04 Dynasty after 14 great years.
[url=https://i.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/19 04:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why not simply use quality synthetic grease to begin with that won't get hard?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Wheel Bearings
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS