|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Magnetek 3230 power converter problem

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
All I could afford

North jersey

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/19 07:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My friend recently asked my help with his 10 year old 26 foot trailer that sits permanently on a site in Pennsylvania about 105 miles from my house. The complaint is that while all 110 V functions work fine, very few 12 volt functions work. He recently installed two new group 27 batteries on the tongue. He did not have a test light with him, so I had him pull each fuse one at a time for visual inspection. He said all looked good.

I packed up my electrical tools and drove out today to help him figure this out, because he was unable to power in the slides as part of winter preparations. The first thing I noticed was that only three out of the nine fuse ports had power on the input side ( the ones under the green line). The other six ports under my red line did not have power.

I temporarily moved some of the output wires from the dead circuits to the right side and each feature then worked properly and we closed the slides. I imagine there is some sort of bus bar running on the backside of this panel from the main red positive post feeding the top of each fuse terminal that may have broken between the third and fourth position. Any thoughts before I proceeded?
[image]

1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollin’ on 33’s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

cavie

Port Charlotte Fl/ Hindsdale MA

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/19 08:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Remove the board and check the back side.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/19 08:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some older converters had two outputs from the converter, one filtered and one unfiltered. My guess is that the filtered side has failed. Possible capacitor.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Nv Guy

Reno NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/08/19 10:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

enblethen wrote:

Some older converters had two outputs from the converter, one filtered and one unfiltered. My guess is that the filtered side has failed. Possible capacitor.

My thoughts as well.

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/19 04:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think its progresive has replacement converters for these old units and at a fair price ..

Chris Bryant

Arden, North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/19 04:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The right hand three are filtered and tied to the battery, the others are switched by relay to the converter output.

That converter is so obsolete, better off to replace it- dirty power, 3 amp poor battery charger, etc.

But, if you want to try to repair it look at http://parallaxpower.com/archived-tech-docs/# for schematics and service manual.

* This post was edited 11/09/19 04:37am by Chris Bryant *

-- Chris Bryant
My RV Service Blog
The RV.net Blog

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/19 05:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I too am guessing that's one of those "Older converters" That someoen mentioned with both filtered battery connected output (The ones on the right) and raw rectified AC (I would never call it DC) on the rest.

FOr this type of converter there is a relay that connects the two when not on shore power..... NOW.... If nothing 12 v is working on shore power odds are the converter portion is toast.

Suggested is a Progressive DYnamics 4600 (Smallest 4600 they make) and replace the "Guts" the thing (the electronics BEHIND the fuse/breaker panel)
That is assuming the guts are behind the breaker panel

If the converter is in a box by itself. Progressive Dynamics 9200 series (Again the smallest 9200)

Randy at Best Converters is your friend.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

All I could afford

North jersey

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/19 05:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks everyone. The filtered and unfiltered power makes sense, but I now have some new information that may help... looking at some of my pictures taken on a different angle, I now see that the main battery negative lead area is corroded and burnt. I guess the bundle of white wires had been blocking my view. I have a feeling my friend may have briefly reversed polarity when he installed his new batteries recently. I now regret that I didn’t check actual voltage, as opposed to simply presence of nominal 12V at the battery and fuses. I can hear it humming faintly when the circuit breaker is on, but I’ll bet the converter is fried.
[image]

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/09/19 07:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Agree with the PD 4600 model replacement. That also comes with a replacement 12v circuit board. Just cut back the burned negative wire to new copper and put in the new circuit board.

Bobbo, Linda and the furry kid (45 pound rescue)
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

All I could afford

North jersey

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/19 07:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks guys, it was 19° yesterday when I was messing with this thing, perhaps that’s part of the reason I didn’t notice the burnt wire while laying on the cold floor. I was happy to get the slide retracted for my friend. Come spring we will go out there again and resolve it properly. Thanks again to everyone for your tips

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Magnetek 3230 power converter problem
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS