|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Demco Autoslide or B&W Companion Slider

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/09/19 03:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

There are hitching issues with the PullRite, not sure if that's the case with the Demco???

I think MeAgain should comment on the B&W as he has one.

It does not matter who owns a manual slider. One they are heavy, two they are MANUAL, I have had a manual slider for 14 years. I know exactly what they are about ,brand makes no difference , you have to get out if you are in a situation where you have to use it, and pull the lever ,slide the hitch back. After that they have to be returned to the tow position before towing again.

Simply put they are pain , no way getting around it . As said no more manuals . Andersen has solved all those issues . I seen enough problems with hitching with my friends Superglide ,and the fact you CANNOT hitch at a certain angle. No thanks ,I want to come into a hitch at whatever angle I need too within reason .

garyp4951

TN

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/19 05:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like my B&W slider, and its rock solid with no slack, but it takes me 5 seconds to get out and pull the lever.
I have considered an auto slider, but the reviews say they have to be within a certain degree to hitch,and not sure I want that.

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/09/19 06:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I never thought my manual slide B&W was a pain. At check in I slide it back and at checkout after straighten out of the street I slide it forward. I ALWAYS slide it as the latch handle would not clear the front box in the travel position. The truck would not turn tight enough to hit going forward to create a problem. I really like the B&W jaws/lock setup. The earlier Demco/Hijacker auto slides had issues with the gears to create the slide movement. My BIL can not park his trailer on our spare lot the way we would like it, as he can not get aligned to reconnect.

I moved a friends trailer in and out of the park for him for a few years, and towed it the ten miles each direction in the back position as his pin box would not clear my front bed box.

Chris

* This post was edited 11/09/19 09:30pm by Me Again *

2015 RAM 3500 CC SB SRW Our Rig New 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Commuter trailer 2019 Laredo 225MK. Retired and enjoying it!

Hammerboy

Zeeland, MI

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/19 09:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've had both types so I'll tell you my 2 cents.
I currently have a B&W Patriot manual slider and had the Pullrite auto slider on a past rig. While both are well built I'll still take my manual B&W over the Pullrite again. The manual slide is VERY easy even if you have to get out of the truck. The Pullrite was a PITA when hooking at an angle, something like over 7 degrees from center in either direction I would have to separate the head from the hitch and then hook it up again the same way. And believe it or not there are times I want it slid back when I am not in a turning situation such as when I am backing down my hill to my barn so I don't come in contact with my tailgate and overhang. Again, I may be in the minority but I'll take my manual over the auto.

Dan

2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

jodeb720

Los Angeles

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/19 10:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP Here,

One question - the side to side pivoting on the B&W. How much is there?

I've seen the amount of play on the Demco but not on the B&W.

More times than not it's the lateral play that I've needed because of how the truck and the 5er aren't on the same plane and you either have to shim the truck tires into the plane or trailer. Otherwise, it's difficult to get the pin in the receiver without a lot of binding.

I've used my Reese for the last 10 years - and it worked. Ironically, I've only used my manual slide 2 or 3 times in the last 10 years. Probably because I was too lazy to get out of the truck, slide it back then get back in and park. I just maneuver into position by taking my time and wiggling into my spot.

I was watching video on the demco - you can connect beyond the 10 degrees, but you'll need to remove the side adjustments first, then connect (without the autoslide option) and then reconnect the parts after you're connected and aligned.

All of these hitches are far heavier than what I had in the past. I'm guessing a trip to harbor freight for a lift to pull/put the hitch in and out of the truck is in my future. good thing there's a veterans day sale on!

Thanks again

josh

southernsky

Ponchatoula La.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/10/19 04:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cummins2014 wrote:

southernsky wrote:

Don't know about the hitches your looking at but we have the Pullrite Super Glide on our short bed Ram. The auto slide has been trouble free for many years and never have to think about tight turns and hitting the cab

I think that is a true statement to a point, but rather misleading for the inexperienced . You can hit the cab with any hitch. I always cringe a bit when I read these statements ," NEVER have to think about tight t
urns and hitting the cab" Thats a recipe for disaster .

Ok well let's say I've used an auto slide for over ten years in all sort of situations. Even turning short enough to drag the wheels sideways in gravel. Sure if you get in a tight jack knife you'll hit the cab but not the rear of the cab you'll hit the side

2019 Ram 3500 Laramie DRW Crew Cab 6.7 H.O. CTD 4X4
2016 Grand Design Solitude 369RL

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/19 05:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a short box with a B&W Companion ..... no slide and I am 100% satisfied. I don't want the hassle of hooking up an auto slide hitch and feel a slider is unnecessary. If I felt I needed a slider it would be an auto slide. I would not use a manual slider even if I had one. The other option you could consider is a B&W hitch and a Reese Sidewinder/Revolution pin box.

Edit: The rotational pin box is equivalent to mounting your hitch further back in your truck bed so not necessarily something you'd want to do.

* This post was edited 11/10/19 05:29am by 4x4ord *

2017 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/10/19 06:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jodeb720 wrote:

OP Here,

One question - the side to side pivoting on the B&W. How much is there?

I've seen the amount of play on the Demco but not on the B&W.

More times than not it's the lateral play that I've needed because of how the truck and the 5er aren't on the same plane and you either have to shim the truck tires into the plane or trailer. Otherwise, it's difficult to get the pin in the receiver without a lot of binding.

I've used my Reese for the last 10 years - and it worked. Ironically, I've only used my manual slide 2 or 3 times in the last 10 years. Probably because I was too lazy to get out of the truck, slide it back then get back in and park. I just maneuver into position by taking my time and wiggling into my spot.

I was watching video on the demco - you can connect beyond the 10 degrees, but you'll need to remove the side adjustments first, then connect (without the autoslide option) and then reconnect the parts after you're connected and aligned.

All of these hitches are far heavier than what I had in the past. I'm guessing a trip to harbor freight for a lift to pull/put the hitch in and out of the truck is in my future. good thing there's a veterans day sale on!

Thanks again

josh

Never had a side to side tilt issue with the three different trailers I towed with my B&W manual slider. I believe that it most likely has enough to allow bed side contact if one had 6" or less clearance when level. Chris

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/10/19 09:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Me Again wrote:

I never thought my manual slide B&W was a pain. At check in I slide it back and at checkout after straighten out of the street I slide it forward. I ALWAYS slide it as the latch handle would not clear the front box in the travel position. The truck would not turn tight enough to hit going forward to create a problem. I really like the B&W jaws/lock setup. The earlier Demco/Hijacker auto slides had issues with the gears to create the slide movement. My BIL can not park his trailer on our spare lot the way we would like it, as he can not get aligned to reconnect.

I moved a friends trailer in and out of the park for him for a few years, and towed it the ten miles each direction in the back position as his pin box would not clear my front bed box.

Chris

Well, I am glad you enjoy the process, I find it a pain, and would rather just skip that part .

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/19 04:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How bout we all give our opinion and suggestions on the topics we are associated with so we don't scare off more people from this Forum or it will end up being just a few crankity ol PHARTS left on here.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Demco Autoslide or B&W Companion Slider
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS