RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Just curious?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Just curious?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Super_Dave

Harrisville, UT

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/19 07:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think the first mistake is believing the MSRP. My trailer listed for close to $90K but I paid nowhere near that nor would I have, ever. Molding falls off driving down the road, wall cracks appear, so, I don't think price reflects overall quality. Higher prices are in general, for visually better looking trailer.

Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 2003 Jetcraft 2125 - Yamaha 150 HP & 8 HP Kicker

kennethwooster

Perryton Tx USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/19 08:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We bought a Beacon back in April. We traded in a Cameo which is an excellent trailer. Still the Beacon is a step above the cameo.

kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/10/19 09:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gbopp wrote:

Oasisbob wrote:

Overall the RV industry should be ashamed of the lack of pride in the product.

This is probably the most fitting comment I've ever seen on the forum.

Would have to agree, big reason after buying our 2008 Montana fifth wheel we have hung onto it for 12 years. Yes there has been more BLING being built, but the quality sure has not improved .

I frequent RV parks the same as a lot of RVer's and hear the horror stories.

mtofell1

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/19 10:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jfkmk wrote:

Me Again wrote:

Likes to tow wrote:

Airstream would be the only high dollar RV that is giving you superior quality for the extra money.

Lance and Arctic Fox are noted to having pretty good quality for a bit more on the price tag.

Never looked at an Arctic Fox, but we did look at several Lance trailers. They all had the same cheap a$$ components as every other trailer out there.

Most of the quality in the Arctic Fox and Lance products are things you don't necessarily see. Better insulation, better/stronger construction, etc. Most of the buyers I've seen with these products care more about the bones than the glitz and glamour.

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/19 11:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jfkmk wrote:

Me Again wrote:

Likes to tow wrote:

Airstream would be the only high dollar RV that is giving you superior quality for the extra money.

Lance and Arctic Fox are noted to having pretty good quality for a bit more on the price tag.

Never looked at an Arctic Fox, but we did look at several Lance trailers. They all had the same cheap a$$ components as every other trailer out there.

And therein lies the problem. You spend $90,000 on an MSRP ($130K) unit and you still get many of the same junk components that you can get in a $50K 5er. Same Furrion stuff, same Thomas Payne junk, same wall construction except maybe thicker insulation which does nothing for the potential delam issue.
Same cheap plastic faucets, same cheap cabinet construction.
Even with upgrades to quality faucets whats the big deal? Throw in some extra fake granite counter tops on top of the same cheap wood cabinets.
On top of that you lose about 40% in 5 years, so that $90K is now worth $54K. Thats $36K down the drain.

The biggest upside is only when you dig deeper and look at suspension, frame, slides, heating, cooling, etc.
Other than those there's nothing really special about a $90,000 5er than makes it worth $40K more than less $$$ ones.

topjimmy

Washington Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/10/19 11:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You paid 77K for a High Country????? WOW they are the "entry level" Montana still nice But my fully top of the line Montana Legacy edition cost 72K and that is out here on the West Coast where they are more expensive and she has been a great 5er with few problems very happy with it as well as my other 2 Montana's
DutchmenSport wrote:

My Montana High Country listed at $77,000. It's a good camper (now) since I've done several self-improvements and fixes to it.

But, even at $77,000, as it came from the factory, (in my opinion) falls far short of what one expect for $77,000.

So those 5er's with a price tag over $100,000??? True!!... the "glitch" is really nice! They are absolutely beautiful gorgeous "campers". The electronics, the technology, the outside paint jobs, all the unique ways they've utilized space for storage, all those things that are appealing to the eye, are way over the top! Beautiful.

But in the real world, traveling with them, cross country trips, bouncing down the road, parking at campgrounds, interstate driving with bridges that have those horrid expansion joints and when you hit them you swear you've just flattened all the tires on your vehicles, rail road tracks that are rough as washboards, turning, twisting, uneven roads, backing up, skidding tires, normal wear and tear, real world use??? ... how do they hold up? Are they really worth the $100,000 and upward price tag? Are they really better built? Or is that $100,000 and upward price tag to cover all the "glitz" and modern technology in them?

If you have one of these over $100,000 5er's, how has it held up over the course of time? I have no plans to sell or trade my Montana. It's perfect for us (and completely paid for)! I'm keeping it for a long time! But still, when I see these videos, it makes my jaw drop and I think to myself, "Wow!"

Thoughts?

2015 Montana 3735MK Legacy,2004 2500HD GMC Short Bed, LB7 Duramax/Allison ,Pacbrake,Firestone Airbags Bullydog Tuner

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/10/19 01:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

topjimmy wrote:

You paid 77K for a High Country????? WOW they are the "entry level" Montana still nice But my fully top of the line Montana Legacy edition cost 72K and that is out here on the West Coast where they are more expensive and she has been a great 5er with few problems very happy with it as well as my other 2 Montana's
DutchmenSport wrote:

My Montana High Country listed at $77,000. It's a good camper (now) since I've done several self-improvements and fixes to it.

But, even at $77,000, as it came from the factory, (in my opinion) falls far short of what one expect for $77,000.

So those 5er's with a price tag over $100,000??? True!!... the "glitch" is really nice! They are absolutely beautiful gorgeous "campers". The electronics, the technology, the outside paint jobs, all the unique ways they've utilized space for storage, all those things that are appealing to the eye, are way over the top! Beautiful.

But in the real world, traveling with them, cross country trips, bouncing down the road, parking at campgrounds, interstate driving with bridges that have those horrid expansion joints and when you hit them you swear you've just flattened all the tires on your vehicles, rail road tracks that are rough as washboards, turning, twisting, uneven roads, backing up, skidding tires, normal wear and tear, real world use??? ... how do they hold up? Are they really worth the $100,000 and upward price tag? Are they really better built? Or is that $100,000 and upward price tag to cover all the "glitz" and modern technology in them?

If you have one of these over $100,000 5er's, how has it held up over the course of time? I have no plans to sell or trade my Montana. It's perfect for us (and completely paid for)! I'm keeping it for a long time! But still, when I see these videos, it makes my jaw drop and I think to myself, "Wow!"

Thoughts?

He stated that his LISTED at $77k... NOT that he paid $77k.... I received just around 40% off that over inflated MSRP when I purchased my 2 Redwoods.

* This post was edited 11/10/19 04:21pm by ford truck guy *

Me-Her-the kids
2015 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Lwiddis

Los Angeles area :(

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/10/19 04:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When you pay an extra $20,000-25,000 every penny goes into higher quality workmanship, design, materials...hardly.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/10/19 09:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gbopp wrote:

Oasisbob wrote:

Overall the RV industry should be ashamed of the lack of pride in the product.

This is probably the most fitting comment I've ever seen on the forum.

Yep!!!

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 61 Year Member

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/10/19 09:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Me Again wrote:

Likes to tow wrote:

Given what I've read about issues with Airstreams in the past X years I've been on the forum, they have just as many issues and you pay about 30% more for the name.

Lyle

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Just curious?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS