|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Screws being pulled out on Awning

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
2012Coleman

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/19 09:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This happened on my Reflection 303RLS. The dealer recommended fix is to use 3/16" x 1" moly rivets, not just regular pop rivets. Moly rivets have wings that spread on the back-side thus will provide a secure anchor.

If still under warranty, I'd have them fix it with this type of rivet, or do it yourself. Mine was out of warranty a few months ant they fixed it anyway.

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

scarecrow56

palm bay, fl

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/19 01:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I appreciate all the replies. It is not new. It is a 2015 that I bought Friday. I had not seen this issue. There is no warrantee other than a 30 day major appliance. their warrantee's are just about worthless anyway. The salesman called me today to see how it towed and I told him about this issue and a few others and he basically told me to have a nice day. Im not sure what im going to do about it. Its a Apex with a fiberglass skin over Azdel over aluminium frame.

Chillin' in the sun, Palm Bay, Fl.

drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/19 03:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

In the good ole days we had manual awnings that were attached to framing members at the top and bottom. Now we have the wonderful electric awnings flopping around while being attached to a box with the strength of cardboard.

Yep. And if you strapped it down it would stand up to some strong winds. These electrics? Anything over a mild breeze makes me nervous.

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

GrandpaKip

Flat Rock

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/12/19 07:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Stainless steel machine screws through the wall and a decorative backing plate with acorn nuts, if you can’t figure out the root cause.

Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

2012Coleman

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/19 11:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

scarecrow56 wrote:

I appreciate all the replies. It is not new. It is a 2015 that I bought Friday. I had not seen this issue. There is no warrantee other than a 30 day major appliance. their warrantee's are just about worthless anyway. The salesman called me today to see how it towed and I told him about this issue and a few others and he basically told me to have a nice day. Im not sure what im going to do about it. Its a Apex with a fiberglass skin over Azdel over aluminium frame.
If you can't do the work, then find an RV tech - there is a website where they are reviewed - I forget the name, or search in the RV_Camping section of your local Craigslist.

I know of 5 other people with this same issue, different brands of campers. The fix is using molly rivets.

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/19 12:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Could be worse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIW8WSjVEcE

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/19 12:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2012Coleman wrote:

scarecrow56 wrote:

If you can't do the work, then find an RV tech - there is a website where they are reviewed - I forget the name, or search in the RV_Camping section of your local Craigslist.

I know of 5 other people with this same issue, different brands of campers. The fix is using molly rivets.
That would be an easy fix.... Unfortunantly, it is not the best fix.
The proper/best fix is to get it attached to the framing members somehow. I actually like grandpakips idea.. Just be sure that the decorative wood piece is stout and spans a couple of studs.

Molly rivets into the wall (though somewhat stronger than screwing into the it) will just leave a bigger hole in the skin when they pull out

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2010 Palomino Sabre 30 BHDS
84 gal. Grey. 84 gal. Black
2 bathrooms, no waiting
2020 Silverado High Country CC DA 4X4 Big Dually.

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/12/19 03:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Many trailers have only a few framing members from one end to the other and they may be only .080" thick aluminum. Chances of getting a good attachment to a frame member where it is needed are near zero.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Screws being pulled out on Awning
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.