|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Hearing problem need wireless mic and ear piece

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
cavie

Port Charlotte Fl/ Hindsdale MA

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/19 04:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ScottG wrote:

I'm getting a bad case of CHS (cant hear s...) and FWIW, my Dr. told me that (real) hearing aids are going to become an over the counter item in the future and that do so shold cause the prices to come down.
I'm hoping I can hold out that long.

That is not true for REAL hearing aids. That is just for amplifiers.
My hearing cuts off at the higher end of frequency's. I can stand right in front of our microwave without my hearing aids and not here the timer beeper which is 1 foot from my face. but I can hear the pile driver 2 miles away without them. I forget the frequency level that my hearing drops off. That is what causes people to not here some words being spoken. or hear some letters pronounced. It's not about the volume it's about what frequency you are not hearing. Only a hearing test can show this and no over the counter can fix it. Real hearing aids can amplify the higher end and cut down or out the lower end. Just like an equalizer on a stero. The more tracks the higher the cost. Forget about those $800 for two you see in the newspaper. I am on my 3rd set in 20 years at $1800.00 ea.The next step in hearing aids is gonna be blue tooth/GPS. Doc says I will be able to call him in MA from FL and he will be able to adjust my hearing aides from his computer.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/11/19 04:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Due to my time in the service around airplanes and my career afterwards that included more airplanes and construction equipment, I have lost some of my hearing in certain frequencies. For instance in the lower frequencies, like thunder, I can usually hear it in the distance long before most others. Now with the higher frequencies, like when my wife speaks, I seem to have trouble hearing her. During our 56 years of marriage she has always been saying that I never listen to what she has to say so perhaps what I have is a genetic anomaly rather than a true loss of hearing. I'm afraid that if I use anything to improve my hearing in her speech frequencies that I will lose whatever excuse I have enjoyed for the past 50+ years. [emoticon]

* This post was edited 11/11/19 05:22am by rgatijnet1 *

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/19 08:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I added Air Tabs the noise level in the cab dropped dramatically making speech at normal volume possible.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/19 09:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cavie wrote:

ScottG wrote:

I'm getting a bad case of CHS (cant hear s...) and FWIW, my Dr. told me that (real) hearing aids are going to become an over the counter item in the future and that do so shold cause the prices to come down.

My hearing cuts off at the higher end of frequency's. I can stand right in front of our microwave without my hearing aids and not here the timer beeper which is 1 foot from my face. but I can hear the pile driver 2 miles away without them. I forget the frequency level that my hearing drops off. That is what causes people to not here some words being spoken. or hear some letters pronounced. It's not about the volume it's about what frequency you are not hearing. Only a hearing test can show this and no over the counter can fix it. Real hearing aids can amplify the higher end and cut down or out the lower end. Just like an equalizer on a stero. The more tracks the higher the cost. Forget about those $800 for two you see in the newspaper. I am on my 3rd set in 20 years at $1800.00 ea.The next step in hearing aids is gonna be blue tooth/GPS. Doc says I will be able to call him in MA from FL and he will be able to adjust my hearing aides from his computer.

You didn't read my post closely enough. I didn't say they are available. I said my Dr. indicated they will be available - as in they aren't yet. Also, I'm not talking about the toy things sold on TV and elsewhere. I am talking about real, programable hearing aids.
There is no reason they can't be sold in stores. Qualified professionals can test people and set up the new aids. I've been dealing with hearing aids for my disabled son for the last 30 years so I'm very familiear with them. I just paid $2K for his present set. They're a rip off. There isn't $50 worth of electronics in them.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

ksg5000

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/19 09:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

When I added Air Tabs the noise level in the cab dropped dramatically making speech at normal volume possible.

Interesting. The airtabs I have scene are located on the rear of the rig and owner comments are generally focused on handling and mileage. Any thoughts on why sound levels in cab are lower?

Kevin

Tom in Tulsa

Tulsa OK

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/19 12:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am getting my aids on line with Bluetooth for around $1600 for the pair. I take the test on line with headphone on and they program them for me.
This whole thread is interesting and i have gotten alot of info.

My sweety said there are 2 things that really bug her about me. That I don't listen to her, and some other sh!t she was rambling on about.....

2008 Forest River Georgetown 357; F53 Triton V10 gas engine; Alison trans.
Onan 5000 generator

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/19 01:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tom in Tulsa wrote:

I am getting my aids on line with Bluetooth for around $1600 for the pair. I take the test on line with headphone on and they program them for me.
This whole thread is interesting and i have gotten alot of info.

My sweety said there are 2 things that really bug her about me. That I don't listen to her, and some other sh!t she was rambling on about.....

[emoticon][emoticon][emoticon]
Only two things?
You're doing great!!

S

John&Joey

Summer-North,Winter-South

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/11/19 01:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ScottG wrote:

cavie wrote:

ScottG wrote:

You didn't read my post closely enough. I didn't say they are available. I said my Dr. indicated they will be available - as in they aren't yet. Also, I'm not talking about the toy things sold on TV and elsewhere. I am talking about real, programable hearing aids.
There is no reason they can't be sold in stores. Qualified professionals can test people and set up the new aids. I've been dealing with hearing aids for my disabled son for the last 30 years so I'm very familiear with them. I just paid $2K for his present set. They're a rip off. There isn't $50 worth of electronics in them.

New law goes into effect August 2020. Yes amplified hearing aids is what they’ll be known as. Biggest difference is not needed multiple visits and the price. This is in response to a growing rise in dementia which has a link to hearing loss.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/19 03:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Handling improved. Mileage only if a tail wind. The biggest difference was noise level. Laminar flow improvement???

ksg5000 wrote:

pianotuna wrote:

Interesting. The airtabs I have scene are located on the rear of the rig and owner comments are generally focused on handling and mileage. Any thoughts on why sound levels in cab are lower?

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/19 06:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not having a handy dandy co-pilot I listen to ham radio when Driving. Generally D-Star REF-030C but another radio is scanning local 70cm/2mtr repeaters Both Analog FM and D-star.

Now the 5100 has the OOMPH to be heard over road/engine/house noise
But ther 51A... uses a Heil HTH-I so I can hear.

Two ham tickets (tech or higher)
A pair of Icom ID-31A's or ID-51A's
A pair of HTH-I (the I stands for Icom by the way)
You good.

They are wired though.. Might add there is a BT option for 'em

Not only that but if you link to hotspots or a local repeater she can talk to you oh. say 5000 miles away like she was sitting beside you.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Hearing problem need wireless mic and ear piece
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS