RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Furnace trouble again .....

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> Furnace trouble again .....

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
MountainAir05

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/19 07:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think you found your problem . You stated no issue like this until you got a new regulator. Then a new regulator issues started.

xtal_01

Vermont

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/11/19 10:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was wrong ... there is a line going to the back of the furnace ... goes under the floor to the washroom.

I guess I will try the simple things first ... check regulator, change temp switch, ...

Thanks .... Mike

Chris Bryant

Arden, North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/19 11:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Come to think of it, that model has more than its share of bad limit switches.

-- Chris Bryant
My RV Service Blog
The RV.net Blog

sundancer268

Charlevoix

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/11/19 02:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would disconnect the factory ducts and see if it will run longer, I am thinking the old flexible ducts are starting to restrict the air flow and the new regulator just added more heat to the heat exchanger that the old duct work can't handle so you are tripping on over heat limits.

U. S. Navy (RETIRED) 1993
1995 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 34' Diesel Pusher Cummins B5.9 12 Valve Engine, Allison MD-3060 6 Speed Transmission.
TOAD: 2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
Road Master Sterling All-Terrain, Airforce One

xtal_01

Vermont

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/11/19 03:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great idea!

I had to do that to my house. They guy sized the intake duct too small. I left the door off the filter and it no longer tripped the high temp.

I will give that a try!

If I need to pull the furnace, I will replace the switch anyway ... they are only $5 ... probably the cheapest part I have ever bought for the RV

Thanks ..... Mike

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/19 03:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Bad switch? Furnace is only a year old and this has never happened before".

Do you realize how ridiculous this sounds[emoticon]
Using this logic, AN RV OR NEW APPLIANCE WOULD Never have a warranty type problem under its warranty?????? Just because the furnace is new does not keep a Hi limit switch from failing. FYI, Hi limits DO have a higher than normal failure rate. But, they usually stick OPEN and do not allow the furnace to operate at all. Now, one thing you mentioned in your first post was the OILY substance in the area of the old Furnace solenoid. THAT should have been addressed BEFORE you did anything else. Replacing the Regulator was NOT the only thing to do. IF you have the OILY contamination, especially downstream at an appliance, Where do you think the oil came from? It came from the LP tank. It ruined the regulator and you now have that oily substance thruout your LP line system. You may need to flush your LP lines, but I would concentrate on the line from the furnace to the main pipe manifold under the RV. Doug

goff1256

Montrose Co

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/11/19 06:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Whoever you talk to at suburban must be new or was not a technician I have worked on RV furnaces for over 30 years it’s normal for them to cycle on and off I’ve never seen one that didn’t you can continue to work on this thing and let it drive you nuts and I’m telling you it will continue to cycle on and off for the rest of its life once you check the flow and the pressure of the regulator and clean the oil out of the lines which only usually is in the line from the tank to the regulator and sometimes in the low pressure line but it rarely gets into the appliances as they are always above The main gas line fluid does not run uphill yeah less the line is completely full which I doubt would ever occur

Erick & Jackie Goff; Plus Sophie the Fu Fu Dog

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
Abraham Lincoln

xtal_01

Vermont

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/11/19 07:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hmmmm .... I honestly hope this is true .... problem solved.

The factory really didn't want to talk to me. Got a woman who really only said the minimum she had to.

As I said, she said it should not cycle ... the switch is just an emergency high temp shut off.

I even tried e-mailing them ... they did not respond.

They recommend a local shop .... never! Our local shop is horrible ... tried them for a few things over he years ... never ends up well. Plus they charge double to triple what I can get parts online for ... plus $120 an hour ... min 1 hour (and I mean even to change a windshield wiper).

I did clear out the oil last year when I fixed the solenoid ... was still clean when I took it off the other day.

i will check the few simple things mentioned but I might just let it go.

I just need it to work for a week or so over Christmas (always end up going to Canada to visit my family near Niagara Falls).

Long story but this RV has been a real learning experience. I met my present partner 10 years ago (another long story ... I was a widower living in SC ... she lived in VT). She is paralyzed from the shoulders down as the result of a diving accident when she was 12 ... she is 40 now. She had not traveled because she needs care every 4 hours. She also had to stay here in VT as her job and health insurance is here. So I bought a 10 year old Bounder ... gutted the interior .... cut a new door and built a wheelchair lift (they wanted more for the lift than I paid for the RV) ... built a lift inside from front to back so I could get her out of her wheelchair and to the bed ... installed two hospital beds on tracks so they can mover side to side of be locked together as one.

We first used it on our honeymoon after our commitment ceremony.

We could not find an accessible house we could afford so we lived in it onsite for three years while I built the house ... it has been 7 years but I am "almost" done.

Next it is the workshop ... concrete pad is poured ... start building in the spring.

I have had a lot of learning on this RV ... and I am still learning!

Thanks so much for all the help and advice!

For some reason I could not insert an image but here is a link to one.

https://imgur.com/a/IVwIC7M

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> Furnace trouble again .....
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS