|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Propane Tank Gauge,recomendations please

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/19 05:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

It boils at -43.6 F but at -40 you won't get much vapor. I do carry a tank heater, but have never had to use it.

opnspaces wrote:

To expand on what's stated above, the cheap screw on gauges are absolutely worthless. Propane is stored under pressure as a liquid and it boils off at -22f creating the pressurized gas at the top of the tank.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/11/19 05:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dapperdan wrote:

Old-Biscuit wrote:

Only one is going to go empty at a time.
When Indicator goes from GREEN to RED.....swap indicator lever to other cylinder
Then remove the empty one and go get it refilled.

TWO 30# cylinders (14 gallons) will last a long time

FTng we went 6 weeks on ONE 30#

Pressure inside cyliders doesn't change a lot until almost empty
Overthinking the issue.

We've been using this method for 10 years now, works GREAT for us! One tank valve open, one closed. When tank "A" is empty switch to tank "B" and when it's convienent, get tank "A" refilled. Old Biscuit is spot on!! 30# tank will last a good long time unless you're running the "h" out of your furnace! [emoticon]

Dan

Old Biscuit has it right both tanks on when the indicator changes to RED flip the leaver to the now in use tank, and take the other to be filled. Had tanks filled while camping many times.
To the poster with the slide out tray, we had one on our King of the Road, loved that setup! The tray was full extension PLUS about 2” dry easy to pull the back tank.
If you leave one closed and you run out at 2:00am on a cold rainy night you might change your mind, especially if in your cold wet dash to open the valve and you don’t get any propane!!

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

SDcampowneroperator

South Dakota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/11/19 06:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

google propane and read on about its properties. Propanes boiling point is -44.3 f. At that temp there is no pressure at all, you could pour it out and carry it in a bucket. OH ive done that in Ontario at -50 f.
Pressuse gauges are of no use, because at any given temp. they will show the pressure developed by the liquid as it boils to vapor at that temp. So at -43f it would show empty on a full bottle, yet at + 90f show full on an almost empty. .They cannot show the liquid level.
, only float gauges can tell you the liquid level in a bottle. Motor homes have them that show 1/4-1/2 -3/4. Acommon issue with them is that if 80% is full, then they should read more like 1/3-2/3-3/3 which more closely is the liquid level.
The hot or cold water test ( use one or the other depending on the ambient temp- hot weather use ice water, cool weather, hot water) poured down the side of the bottle then run your fingers down the bottle to feel the temp change will show you the liquid level in the bottle, as the water will heat or cool the metal only down to the liquid propane level.
Stick on heat sensative strips are very good at this test.
I have always left both valves open with the switchover valve pointed at one bottle, then kept an eye on the indicator. When it turns red, that one is empty and it has auto switched to the alternate. So then you switch the indicator to the alternate indicator turns green, then go fill the. primary, put it in open it, then the alternate is now the primary until it empties and switches to the first.

* This post was edited 11/11/19 06:49pm by SDcampowneroperator *

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/11/19 07:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IMO, the gauge isn't to determine exactly how much propane there is, but rather to determine if you are getting low enough that it makes sense to refill now instead of waiting until you actually run out.

For that purpose, the gauges work well enough.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/11/19 08:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toedtoes wrote:

IMO, the gauge isn't to determine exactly how much propane there is, but rather to determine if you are getting low enough that it makes sense to refill now instead of waiting until you actually run out.

I have to ask why? I treat my two 7 Gallon (30#) tanks as one 14 gallon (60#) tank, when auto cutover happens it is tome to get a fill up.
Why take in a partially full tank to have filled, I personally think doing that is a waste of mine and the attendants time and effort.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/11/19 08:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rhagfo wrote:

toedtoes wrote:

I have to ask why? I treat my two 7 Gallon (30#) tanks as one 14 gallon (60#) tank, when auto cutover happens it is tome to get a fill up.
Why take in a partially full tank to have filled, I personally think doing that is a waste of mine and the attendants time and effort.

How is it a waste of time - it's no different than filling your vehicle fuel tank when it's half empty. If I'm going for a short time, then I may wait to fill. But if I'm going for a couple weeks or more, I'd rather start full up then have to worry about driving a couple hours on curvy mountain roads to find a place to refill because I needed that half tank's worth.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/11/19 09:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Around here there is often a minimum. So you may pay same for 2 gallons or 7. I fill when the indicator says one cylinder is empty not before. I don't find it to be a hassle to get propane on the road. OK either way, just my style.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/19 08:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Around here also, many places charge by the fill, not the amount. Even our propane company charges a straight rate to fill a 20 or 30 pound tank. Amount is irrelevant.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/12/19 08:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

Around here also, many places charge by the fill, not the amount. Even our propane company charges a straight rate to fill a 20 or 30 pound tank. Amount is irrelevant.

I'd find another propane place. I've =never= seen that and, if I did, I'd just say, "not interested", and go elsewhere. F'n ripoff!

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 61 Year Member

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/12/19 10:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agree..i'm not paying for the full bottle if I am topping off for a trip..
maybe it;s a Cali thing?

Me-Her-the kids
2015 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Propane Tank Gauge,recomendations please
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS