|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Propane Tank Gauge,recomendations please

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
2oldman

Ca

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/19 11:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chuck .. wrote:

Don't want to have to unhook the tanks, pull them out and take them to be refilled if they a near full or run out in the middle of a trip.
Well, if you do that it's easy to tell if they're near full.. assuming you've ever lifted a full one.

Simply unhook the strap and rock them. That way it's easy to tell how much is left.

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/11/19 11:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Roger10378 wrote:

The other one that works quite well is the Mopeka. The only problem that I have had with it is that the battery life is only about a year(or less in cold weather). It uses sonar to check for the height of the liquid/gas interface. I ended up making a remote battery system for mine so that the battery can be changed without removing the propane bottle.

I had this on my system a year or so ago, tossed it out after a few months.... Couldn't get the meter to register the tanks, got new batteries, got new scanners, still nothing

Was too frustrated in messing with that stuff . . .

Me-Her-the kids
2015 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020Redwood 3991RD Garnet

dapperdan

Milwaukee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/11/19 01:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old-Biscuit wrote:

Only one is going to go empty at a time.
When Indicator goes from GREEN to RED.....swap indicator lever to other cylinder
Then remove the empty one and go get it refilled.

TWO 30# cylinders (14 gallons) will last a long time

FTng we went 6 weeks on ONE 30#

Pressure inside cyliders doesn't change a lot until almost empty
Overthinking the issue.

We've been using this method for 10 years now, works GREAT for us! One tank valve open, one closed. When tank "A" is empty switch to tank "B" and when it's convienent, get tank "A" refilled. Old Biscuit is spot on!! 30# tank will last a good long time unless you're running the "h" out of your furnace! [emoticon]

Dan

RobWNY

Jamestown, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/11/19 01:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use one of these. A full 30 pound tank weighs 55 pounds. Approximately 25 pounds when empty. Whatever it weighs on the scale, tells me how much propane I have left.

[image]

If God didn't want us to eat cows, he wouldn't have made them out of Steak and Cheese.

Life is a lot like a baseball pitch. Sometimes you get a fast ball down the middle of the plate and sometimes you get a curve ball in the dirt.

DutchmenSport

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/11/19 02:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chuck .. wrote:

... These are large/ heavy tanks, back inside a pull out tray on the side of the 5th wheel. ...

What size are these tanks?

I have always run only one tank at a time, even with the automatic cross over system. One tank valve is always closed tight. When the first tank run empty, I switch over to the second tank and close off the first tank. Then, absolute first chance I get, take the empty tank for a fill up and keep repeating. I've never run out of propane doing it this way .... except! This last week-end.

I don't know how I miss calculated, but both tanks were empty. Furnace went out and I've been scratching my head ever since wondering when the first tank ran out and switched over and then did not get the tank refilled immediately. Wife says it was last week-end and due to things going on, we couldn't take in it for an immediate refill. I switched over and another week past. I simply don't remember.

We use our camper every day, and we are going through about 1 thirty pound tank a week right now, running the furnace. During the Summer months, we went 6 months on 1 tank.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/11/19 02:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I leave both mine on. Don't like running outside in the cold at 2am to flip a valve on.

The red will stay red every single day to continue the reminder to actually fill the cylinder.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/19 02:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bought one of those tape guage thinghys. Waste of money. Since then time & experience has taught me the old fashioned way. How long have we been using it, the knock on the side with the knuckles & a shake without taking it out. The DW uses the colour of the flame as a guide plus the fridge senses low propane.

You know that you are out when things stop working.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/11/19 02:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have ones like Chuck indicated (Astor Propane Tank Pressure Barbeque Gauge).

While it's not exact, it gets me close enough to know the tank is "just about" empty so I can fill it before a trip instead of having to fill it two days into my trip when it's empty.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/19 04:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use the scale when checking tanks outside the trailer, I tried the Mopeaka and didn't have the best of luck with it. Not bad, but not very reliable. I use the one like the Dometic or Truma gauge, and it seems to be pretty consistent.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Oasisbob

Portland Oregon 97266

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/19 04:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Open one tank at a time. When tank 1 is empty run off tank 2 while filling tank 1. Key being not to forget filling the empty when you get home.

Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife & 4 Really Fun kids
2008 KIA Sedona 3.8L 24 valve V-6
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS">

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Propane Tank Gauge,recomendations please
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS