RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Landing gear motor.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Landing gear motor.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/11/19 10:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

laknox wrote:

amxpress wrote:

Hooking up a 2nd motor could probably be performed. How would you synchronize their speed so the landing gears operate at the same speed?
I have no idea where the zerk comments come from!

Why would you need to worry about sync'ing them? Put in 2 switches to control them separately.

Lyle

Except if one is slowing down, then they would not be running at the same speed.. Sure you could run them separate to get them back even, but no guarantees they are going to run the same speed pushing both switches at the same time .

schlep1967

Harrisburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/12/19 05:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grease. Mine started blowing fuses. I put the truck under it so I could pull the legs out. Somewhere on this site I found a home made contraption that works great. Basically it's a piece of rubber hose, mines clear probably 1 1/2 or close to it that you then add several adapters to to get it down to a grease zirk on the end. You feed the large hose up over your leg screws and apply grease to the zirk.
Used it once 2 years ago. Motor doesn't work hard at all anymore.

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
2009 Open Range 385RLS
Pull-Rite Super Glide

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/19 06:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

amxpress wrote:

Hooking up a 2nd motor could probably be performed. How would you synchronize their speed so the landing gears operate at the same speed?

It is a very simple matter to hold the rocker switches on for both sides. Operate each till touching ground then both. Easy. Can't imagine not having a motor for each leg.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

ivbinconned

highway 16

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/19 06:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There ere no zirks on mine so the only way to lube is to remove the top cap and pour or spray from the top.

Ram and 34 ft Cedar Creek

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/12/19 09:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cummins2014 wrote:

laknox wrote:

amxpress wrote:

Why would you need to worry about sync'ing them? Put in 2 switches to control them separately.

Lyle

Except if one is slowing down, then they would not be running at the same speed.. Sure you could run them separate to get them back even, but no guarantees they are going to run the same speed pushing both switches at the same time .

I've =seen= factory installed 2-motor/2-switch legs in operation and they =always= had to adjust one side as that motor just ran faster when both switches were pressed at the same time. (FWIW, old GF's father's FW.) The 4-pt system on my KZ, on a virtually level concrete pad always runs one more than the other. You simply can't sync the motors that closely without complex and expensive electronics involved.

Other thing about having 2 motors is that the legs jack about 2x faster, if not more, than a single motor setup. Old Komfort had the single motor and it was =slow=!

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 61 Year Member

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/12/19 10:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

laknox wrote:

cummins2014 wrote:

laknox wrote:

amxpress wrote:

Lyle

I've =seen= factory installed 2-motor/2-switch legs in operation and they =always= had to adjust one side as that motor just ran faster when both switches were pressed at the same time. (FWIW, old GF's father's FW.) The 4-pt system on my KZ, on a virtually level concrete pad always runs one more than the other. You simply can't sync the motors that closely without complex and expensive electronics involved.

Other thing about having 2 motors is that the legs jack about 2x faster, if not more, than a single motor setup. Old Komfort had the single motor and it was =slow=!

Lyle

I think we are agreeing here [emoticon] Two motors ,two landing gears one is binding a bit or needs grease, although obviously they are both geared the same.

Case in point with the 2010, motor booked down to a stop, just didn't have the power to turn both. Pulled the drive side off,had a bad spot in the worm gear where it would not turn at all by hand. He ordered a new leg, although it ran , it was very slow. Pulled the opposite side off, and turned by hand ,it was pretty stiff, greased it up, and things ran well.

I guess my point is, I don't think the OP needs a double motor , he needs to just get those gears lubed up somehow.

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/12/19 10:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

One of the main advantages of two separate motors is two separate controls so you can control the motors independently. They will run at the same speed so that part doesn't matter.

Yes ,but we are missing the point here or are we [emoticon], if one is binding a bit ,then no they won't run the same speed, and will have to be adjusted independently , thats the nice thing, but then again you still have to watch ,and make sure you are not coming up crooked ,and putting more bind on the legs.

Keeping them lubed up, and not over extending them to the end, and messing up the worm gear, then regardless one or two motors, they will run okay.

Mine with one motor runs fine after messing up some gears, and having to replace one, then knowing what to do.

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/12/19 11:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I had my old fifth wheel with those telescoping legs, I greased the zerk and it only helped a bit... I sprayed the **** out of the inside of the legs with lubricant, I sprayed until it was running out of the bottom..... That freed up my binding issue..

Me-Her-the kids
2015 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020Redwood 3991RD Garnet

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/12/19 11:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ivbinconned wrote:

There ere no zirks on mine so the only way to lube is to remove the top cap and pour or spray from the top.

I know for a fact , they don't run well with no grease, if you have put a bit of a bind on them ,and burred them worm gears, then two motors may help ,but it will struggle still .

I know my 2008 has just the one zerk, to grease just the top gears. IMO ,they are not the issue ,its that long worm gear thats the problem . They need grease, or if they have been a bit over extended, they are toast , grease will hep some ,but they are burred .

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/19 11:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cummins2014 wrote:

fj12ryder wrote:

One of the main advantages of two separate motors is two separate controls so you can control the motors independently. They will run at the same speed so that part doesn't matter.

Yes ,but we are missing the point here or are we [emoticon], if one is binding a bit ,then no they won't run the same speed, and will have to be adjusted independently , thats the nice thing, but then again you still have to watch ,and make sure you are not coming up crooked ,and putting more bind on the legs.

Keeping them lubed up, and not over extending them to the end, and messing up the worm gear, then regardless one or two motors, they will run okay.

Mine with one motor runs fine after messing up some gears, and having to replace one, then knowing what to do.
Actually the OP didn't say anything about his motor binding up, he just commented that it runs really slow and labors. And they do run very slow even when new. My Fuzion ran so slow that you basically had to chalk the legs to see if they were moving. But I do agree that keeping them lubed is a very good idea.

"I've =seen= factory installed 2-motor/2-switch legs in operation and they =always= had to adjust one side as that motor just ran faster when both switches were pressed at the same time. (FWIW, old GF's father's FW.) The 4-pt system on my KZ, on a virtually level concrete pad always runs one more than the other. You simply can't sync the motors that closely without complex and expensive electronics involved.

Other thing about having 2 motors is that the legs jack about 2x faster, if not more, than a single motor setup. Old Komfort had the single motor and it was =slow=!"

A fair amount of misinformation here, I have the Bulldog unit with two motors, and two switches. The motors run the same speed, no fancy electronics that I can tell. But they go up and down with no adjustment needed unless the ground is unlevel.

As for double motors running 2X as fast as a single motor, that's not necessarily true. They may run a lot faster, but they also may only run a little faster. The Bulldog system has two settings: High Speed, and High Torque. One is pretty fast, and the other isn't a whole lot faster, but still some faster.

* This post was edited 11/12/19 11:49am by fj12ryder *

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Landing gear motor.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS