|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> Class A Fulltimer freeze concerns

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
js218

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/19 03:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Currently at Norton Pond Vt. temp is 15 with a low of 5 tonight, love camping in the cold.

2017 Haulmark 45' Super C 600hp, 12 speed I shift transmission, tandem drive axles, 3 stage engine brake, towing 26' trailer with an 08 explorer inside.
Jim

Chum lee

Albuquerque, NM

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/19 05:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm a genetic fair weather sissy so I avoid freezing by leaving the region before the cold weather sets in.

If that's not possible for you, there are some economical longitudinally split open/closed cell foam insulation tubes for most smaller diameter PVC/copper pipes available in most home centers. They won't hold a candle to a week long polar vortex, but, they will give your external rigid exposed pipes a few more degrees/hours protection if you KNOW freezing is going to be an issue.

Chum lee

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/19 06:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One phrase of caution. Your RV is insulated yes but .. How well.. THe manufactur specifies a "Low temp" limit. for me it's 20 degrees. tonight it's 18 expected. I DO NOT anticipate any issues.. but I also am working on a low-limit extender

A string of old fashing C-9 Christmas tree lamps are under the tank Just now they are Non-Op but I suspect I know why Weather prevents me from fixing just now.

Today Corbin KY. Tomorrow.. Farther south

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

doxiemom11

Somewhere between MI and TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/12/19 08:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are currently in freezing temps and live in our motorhome. We use an electric heater to supplement the furnace during the day, and furnace only at night. If it's going to be below freezing for several hours, we disconnect our water hose and run off the fresh water tank with the pump. Furnace is set at 60 for night. We also leave our cabinet door ajar for the plumbing under the sinks. Been doing this 9 years and no problems.

Solo

NE Kansas/Central Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/13/19 04:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does your Ventana have the optional hydronic heating system? Newmar for the 2017 model had the Oasis system available that works very well in cold weather. Our coach uses the AuquaHot Hydronic heating system which is similar and keeping any area of the coach warm is not an issue. We are currently near zero temps here in the mid-west (waiting until next week when we head south finally!) and the storage areas/wet bay as well as the living area do not fluctuate more than a few degrees as the AuquaHot cycles. As mentioned earlier, monitor your coach temps with wireless sensors and then you will know exactly what is going on.

Solo
2011 Itasca Ellipse 42QD, 450 HP ISL Cummins
2012 Jeep JKU with SMI DUO Braking System
Our Travel Blog VolunteersWithAPurpose

scbwr

North Ridgeville, OH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/14/19 06:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've been in low teen temps with our Bay Star and with the gas furnace running, the temps in the water bays have never been a problem. I do have two wireless temp sensors so I can monitor the temps. And, I have two small electric personal heaters (200 watts each) mounted in the water bays with thermocubes if I end up in temps where more heat is needed.

2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> Class A Fulltimer freeze concerns
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS