RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Tire chains needed?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Tire chains needed?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/19 08:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you’re simply worried about meeting the “requirement” then a $25 pair of cables for a small car off Craigslist would stow away nicely.
I drive the WA passes regularly and not only is it rare for the roads to remain actually open if it’s “all vehicles required”, no one is going to hassle you in a srw truck.
I sometimes pull a 32’ trailer in the worst weather here cause that’s when the Snomobiling is best and never stop to chain not do pickups get a second look by the state police.
I only carry chains for deep snow with the trailer hooked up on forest roads.
Can’t speak for other states

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/19 08:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tire chains have always been part of my GVWR because chit happens and there are other uses for them..I carry heavy duty V-bars..I am considering getting a pair of Maxtrax(clones) because it seems I am always getting the call to help get someone out..Besides,they look Kool on the TC ladder rack..LOL

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/19 08:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used chains on my 7tons motorhome outer wheels on 1 trip and when the Caltrans makes you put the chains on 3 miles before you see snow on the pavement, under heavy load the chains wear out on 12 miles drive.
I had extra links, so at destination I replaced broken links and flip the chains on other side.
Still Caltrans made the same situation on return trip and that was the end of chains.
When cables provide less snow grip, they have rollers, who last for long time and you can drive on them even 40 mph.
So would I go for fresh snow, I'd carry them both.

jshupe

Austin, TX

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/19 09:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just curious, because I've never had to deal with this before - do you typically have to have a set of chains for each tire on a DRW? Do you need them for front axle too? Do you need them for any trailer axles?

My idea is that if I ever run into a situation where I need chains, I'll turn around or sit it out, but I'd like to carry the minimum for legal compliance if ever needed.

2019 RAM 3500 Longhorn HO/AISIN 4x4 CCLB DRW | 2015 Keystone Alpine 3730FB
Random musings (blog): https://www.lifeenroute.com

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/19 10:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jshupe wrote:

Just curious, because I've never had to deal with this before - do you typically have to have a set of chains for each tire on a DRW? Do you need them for front axle too? Do you need them for any trailer axles?

My idea is that if I ever run into a situation where I need chains, I'll turn around or sit it out, but I'd like to carry the minimum for legal compliance if ever needed.

Generally you just need a set of single chains for the outside tire of a DRW..And I do agree..In a bad storm just sit it out,that's the good thing about a TC or RV..

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/19 10:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jaycocreek wrote:

Tire chains have always been part of my GVWR because chit happens and there are other uses for them..I carry heavy duty V-bars..I am considering getting a pair of Maxtrax(clones) because it seems I am always getting the call to help get someone out..Besides,they look Kool on the TC ladder rack..LOL

Or you could drive a 4x4 for when chit happens! Lol

Eric&Lisa

Scappoose, OR

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/19 10:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bkenobi wrote:

...Ideally something quicker to install would be better since I dont expect to use them regularly enough to get practice....

I have been pretty happy with the chains from Les Schwab (a Pacific NW tire shop chain for those located elsewhere). IIRC, they will sell you a set of chains for around $100 or so. If you do not open the carrying bag, you can return them after the snow season for a full refund.

I ended up getting surprised back in 2014 when I was in Eugene, and coming home to NW Oregon. I failed to note that the snow was coming from the south and thought I had plenty of time to drive home. Thus I had the car and not the truck. Ooops. All the freeways were dead stopped, so I took the back roads up the valley. The chains broke outside of Corvallis, so I went to the south Les Schwab that repaired them. That repair lasted until the north Corvallis Les Schwab, where I bought a new set that got me home. I left the old set with them to repair and stopped back there a few weeks later. They couldn't repair them so they handed me a new set. By coincidence they also fit the front tires on my Kubota tractor, so no complaints.

Yes, they are quick & easy to install. Do a test run before the snow hits to figure out the system. Once I learned how they worked, it is a no-brainer install.

HTH,
-Eric

Eric & Lisa - Oregon
'97 Silverado K2500, New HT383 motor!, Airbags, anti-sway bar
'03 Lance model 1030, generator, solar,

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/19 11:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jshupe wrote:

My idea is that if I ever run into a situation where I need chains, I'll turn around or sit it out,

I would accept the challenge and proceed onward. [emoticon]

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd Regular cab.
What real trucks really look like.
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
6580 lb truck 10540 fully loaded

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/19 11:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

G-Dog wrote:

Or you could drive a 4x4 for when chit happens!

It was all the 4X4's stuck in the video's that got me thinking about the Maxtrax..Every single video was a 4X4 stuck and the Maxtrax got them out..

Besides,they look kool on a ladder rack..The majority of the video's I have seen,the Maxtrax gets them out except for one inebriated truck camper having to much fun..LOL

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/13/19 11:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Or you could drive a 4x4 for when chit happens! Lol
Depending on gross weight, towing and conditions the 4WD does not exempt you from chain requirements.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Tire chains needed?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.