|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Electric vehicles

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/19 06:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

philh wrote:

Please cite your source for this data

Hi Phil,

I am unable to find the link--it was some months ago.

However I did find this:

https://www.2degreesinstitute.org/report........c_and_gas_powered_vehicles_in_canada.pdf

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

msmith1.wa

Tacoma, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/19 08:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I own a Chevrolet Bolt EV. What I have learned since owning it is that the battery temperature needs to be maintained somewhere around 70 degrees. So when it is cold ou the battery needs to be warmed. The colder it is the more energy it takes to keep the battery warm. Also heating the passenger compartment takes a lot of energy from the battery, more than AC in the summer.

So what it looks like to me is the battery pack in the busses is under sized for what they want it do.

2003 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 8.1l
2016 Evergreen Amped 28FS

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/13/19 08:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

msmith1.wa wrote:

So what it looks like to me is the battery pack in the busses is under sized for what they want it do.
Yes I believe BYD installs at least two different battery sizes. City may have tried to save a few $$.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/19 06:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

philh wrote:

Please cite your source for this data

Hi Phil,

I am unable to find the link--it was some months ago.

However I did find this:

https://www.2degreesinstitute.org/report........c_and_gas_powered_vehicles_in_canada.pdf

{sigh}
Liars
**** Liars
Statisticians

One HUGE glaring error in the article, they did not include the cost of battery replacement.

Their annual maintenance expense is comparing an average ICE (think older vehicles) to newer BEV vehicles, bad comparison.

My daily drive is 12 years old, and I have put very little into maintenance. One set of brakes, oil changes, and fuel. Everything else, is comparable to BEV.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/14/19 08:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

philh wrote:

One HUGE glaring error in the article, they did not include the cost of battery replacement.
I think the assumption would be to never replace the battery same as most people will never replace the ICE. Either way it typically cost more than the vehicle is worth at that point so you sell for what you can get.

Tesla battery is expected to be still in service at 200,000 miles and not many even drive an ICE that far. You might be the exception but that is not the point.

I drove a Chevy Sprint 240,000 (sold) and my F150 just hit 200,000 (still have). If the 5.4 motor burns up I doubt I would replace it but maybe.

Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/19 07:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tesla has a proven track record of batteries going over 300,000 miles with less than 10% degradation which still leaves them with a longer range than anything else on the road. Even though that is over 20 years for the average driver Tesla is still shooting for over a million miles and may already be there. Unfortunately, it is going to take several years to prove that.

From what I have heard other brands are not doing so well. My son's Leaf has lost about 30% with only 50,000 miles on it. The new Leafs have a totally different battery and will probably do better but not as well as a Tesla.

thomas201

Eastern Panhandle WV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/19 11:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Read Bob M.'s "Tesla Battery Range in Sub-Zero and Snowy Conditions" on the Teslarati web site. If you have to do everything wrong, no shore power to preheat when cold with snow on the road look for a 57% reduction in range. His average was more like 40%. Google it for yourself. It kills ICE cars too, but gas stations are more available. https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-battery-range-sub-zero-snowy-conditions/

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Electric vehicles
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS