RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Casita vs "conventional" small trailers

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Small TT's

> Casita vs "conventional" small trailers

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
eend

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/19 06:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a 13' 1971 boler one of the firt fiberglass campers on the market these fiberglass campers last forever they are tiny but its a bed off the ground. We sure like ours but then we have a 21'airstream that we use for longer trips.

There is also the "outback"made in Calgary that has the same mould as the Trillium.
https://trilliumtrailers.com/product/the-outback-trillium-trailer/

2014 Mazda CX5
2015 F150 ecoboost
1993 Airstream sovereign 21
1971 Boler 1300

profdant139

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/19 09:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Before you buy, make sure there is enough headroom for you -- we looked at Casitas but decided against them for that reason. (I'm 6' 3".)

But the resale value is very significant. Not because of money, per se -- but because it is a "proxy" for quality and durability. To put it another way, markets are generally wise. Taken as a group, folks are willing to pay a lot for a used Casita because they don't depreciate like other types of trailers.

2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/19 01:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

profdant139 wrote:

Before you buy, make sure there is enough headroom for you -- we looked at Casitas but decided against them for that reason. (I'm 6' 3".)

But the resale value is very significant. Not because of money, per se -- but because it is a "proxy" for quality and durability. To put it another way, markets are generally wise. Taken as a group, folks are willing to pay a lot for a used Casita because they don't depreciate like other types of trailers.

Isn't that circular logic: people are willing to pay more because they don't depreciate... [emoticon]

I suspect you mean people are willing to pay more because they outlast other types of trailers.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

profdant139

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/19 05:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not sure I am guilty of circularity, but definite problem of ambiguity. In this context, depreciation can mean either a decline in value due to lower demand or a decline in value due to deterioration.

It is the latter sense that I meant!

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/19 06:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

By definition, a trailer that depreciates will not have people paying more for it. If people are willing to pay more, then it's not depreciating.

profdant139

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/19 12:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Toed, I think you are right. I should have said "folks are willing to pay a lot for a used Casita because they don't DETERIORATE like other types of trailers." That avoids the ambiguity in the word "depreciate."

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/16/19 09:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's just one of those statements that makes you go "wait a sec..." when you read it a certain way. [emoticon]

rbpru

North Central Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/19/19 07:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It has been my experience that floor plan trumps all else. The best bomb proof TT will not be as satisfying as a proper floor plan.

Good luck

Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

jdtrotter

Big Pine

View Profile

Posted: 12/02/19 09:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Late to the parade, but we have owned both a Casita and an R-pod. The Casita was small, but trouble free. We took it across country, all the way down Baja, and down the mainland of Mexico to Patzcauro. We ay popped a few rivets as was to be expected and easy to fix with our rivet gun. When we sold it a number of years ago, we almost sold it for what we paid for it.

After a couple of truck campers, we bought an R-pod. Cute little trailer with a lot more room and a dry bathroom and it was a nightmare. We spent so many travel hours at RV repair places. All quality control was absent. Even the electrical outlets were crooked. We kept trying and finally gave up and traded it in for a Nash 17K. If Casita made a trailer a bit bigger, we would have bought it!

Good luck with whatever direction you choose.

RustyMacIntosh

Fresno, Cal

View Profile

Posted: 12/03/19 04:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A neighbor of a rental I have has a 5th wheel Scamp behind his gates, he tows it with a Ford Ranger V-6 automatic. I always thought that setup was the way to go
on a much lower budget than a 1-ton diesel with a 40ft cruiser ship in tow.

https://www.scamptrailers.com/showroom/19-deluxe-trailers/19-deluxe-trailer-layout-a.html

Google Escape 5.0 and BigFoot trailers. I seriously am thinking along those lines myself. My Bounder 34ft Class A is too big for me, my tow vehicle for my 19f Mallard is pushing 300k.

* This post was edited 12/03/19 05:35am by RustyMacIntosh *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Small TT's

> Casita vs "conventional" small trailers
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS