RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Casita vs "conventional" small trailers

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Small TT's

> Casita vs "conventional" small trailers

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/19 05:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

when I was looking at them they had a "neat" 16 IIRC, ft model with small dinette on the side and you could leave the large dinette made up as a bed. you needed to get the roof air, not floor level one to get a full height closet. the bath was better laid out than some others.
I looked at the R POD and it had no hang up closet and the triangle tiny sink was not useable, no vanity space, wet bath.
bumpy

Captain_Happy

Pahrump, Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/14/19 07:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As a current owner of a 17' Casita Spirt Delux it's a net little trailer. As a solo RV'er I use it for traveling. It has just about everything one needs while on the road. At 2800 lbs, they can just about be towed with anything that can handle 4 to 6,000 lbs. And can go to a lot more places then a Class A can. These trailer have a fairly loyal following, and there own forum on the internet.

If you want a new one straight from the factory in Texas, get inline. once you order it, there's at least a 4 to 6 month waiting list. Cost around $25,000.00 loaded. An Escape 21 foot trailer is well over $40,000.00, and the Oliver is a lot more.

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/19 08:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Captain_Happy wrote:

As a current owner of a 17' Casita Spirt Delux it's a net little trailer. As a solo RV'er I use it for traveling. It has just about everything one needs while on the road. At 2800 lbs, they can just about be towed with anything that can handle 4 to 6,000 lbs. And can go to a lot more places then a Class A can. These trailer have a fairly loyal following, and there own forum on the internet.

If you want a new one straight from the factory in Texas, get inline. once you order it, there's at least a 4 to 6 month waiting list. Cost around $25,000.00 loaded. An Escape 21 foot trailer is well over $40,000.00, and the Oliver is a lot more.
Thanks for the info, I thought they had a waiting list.

jim1632

Arlington, VA

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/19 10:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Scamp Trailers are n the Casita category. Scamps are made in Minn so probablythey have more insulation than the Casita, I talked to Casita about insulation at one time and they did not claim to be a 4-season trailer. We have drifted around a lot and there always seems to be a use for more insulation, even in the summer.

Escapes are really beautiful but pricy. And there may be an even longer waiting list.

kCasita, Scamp and Escape make 5-th wheel models.

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/19 11:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IIRC, Scamp had a less desirable bathroom than the Casita, but that was years ago.
bumpy

Campfire Time

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/19 03:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Durb wrote:

Some downsides:
- single axle only

We owned a single axle 17ft hybrid for 10 years. Took on several long trips, one nearly 6k miles. I've never seen a single axle as a disadvantage.

Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid, 2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71

TurnThePage

North ID

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/19 06:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't forget about Bigfoot Trailers! Probably the nicest of all when you bear in mind the variety of sizes and layouts.

2015 Ram 1500
2004 Pioneer 18T6

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/19 10:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do the Casita type trailers have any sort of wall insulation?

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2009 Arctic Fox 811 (bought new 11/9/09)
2015 Nash 17k (bought pre-owned 5/23/18)
2008 Haulmark 8.5x20 toy box trailer

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/19 06:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

deltabravo wrote:

Do the Casita type trailers have any sort of wall insulation?

as I recall, from years ago, they had a carpet like material glued to the walls.
bumpy

spoon059

Just north of D.C.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/19 06:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd love one of those, but not sure I can go back after having a trailer with slideouts! I sure do miss our little Nash 22RB though. We could take that thing anywhere, we could fit into any spot (include a tent spot if push came to shove). Current trailer is 32' long, we've had to shoehorn into spots before.

The biggest advantage is obviously the fiberglass exterior and no rubber roof to deal with. Insulation doesn't really matter, because its so small its super easy to keep warm or cool.

2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Small TT's

> Casita vs "conventional" small trailers
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS