|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Best truck for Northern Lite 10-2

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Next
Sponsored By:
TCjeff

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/19 07:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife and I just ordered a 2020 Northern Lite 10-2 LE and are now shopping for a truck. I hoping to get some advice on which would be the best truck for our camper.

We're planning a 1 year trip all around Canada and the US. When we get back I will go back to work part-time, easing into retirement and use the camper for trips down south in the winter.

I'm a real newbie to truck camping. As well I'm a city boy (Montreal Canada) and knew nothing about trucks until we decided buy a TC and I starting doing research on the web, including this forum. Based on what I've learnt so far I’m thinking 3500 or F-350, 4wd, air bags. I’m not biased between Ford, GM or Ram so am open to any.

As well, I’m uncertain regarding gas or diesel, and srw vs dually. We plan to boondock a fair bit and would like to be able to access off the road type campsites ... but nothing too crazy!

Thanks in advance for the help!

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/19 07:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oh, oh, you re-opened a can of worms.

You have a war in your hands Ford vs GM vs Ram.

And those of us waiting for Tesla pick up will have a tub of popcorn watching from the sidelines.

bigfootgrey

Connecticut

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/19 08:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4 Diesel Dually

2011 Ford F-350 PSD SC DRW
2008 Bigfoot 25C-10.4E
Firestone airbags - torklift stable-loads,fastguns,Talons Rancho rs 9000XL’s. 2015 Lund Alaskan 1600 tiller.

Homeless by Choice

North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/19 08:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bigfootgrey wrote:

4x4 Diesel Dually

X2

That's what I have also.
LeRoy

Homeless by Choice
FULL TIMER since 2012
2015 Chevy 3500, Duramax, 4X4, DRW, Crew cab, Long bed
2013 Northern Lite 8'11"Q Sportsman truck camper
2015 Polaris RZR Side by Side

TCjeff

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/19 08:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And I was leaning towards srw and gas.

No def fluid to worry about with gas. Less complicated engine. I understand that gas engines are more efficient than they used to be. More powerful as well. Thinking about Fords new 7.3 litre gas engine. But still nowhere near the performance and torque of the diesel. But I’m hauling 4500lbs or so. Not towing 20,000 or more. So I’m really conflicted.

Lwiddis

Mojave, Kern County, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/19 09:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The big three are all good but a one ton is essential. You’ll be toting 4500 pounds minimum.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

otrfun

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/19 09:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TCjeff wrote:

No def fluid to worry about with gas. Less complicated engine. I understand that gas engines are more efficient than they used to be. More powerful as well. Thinking about Fords new 7.3 litre gas engine. But still nowhere near the performance and torque of the diesel. But I’m hauling 4500lbs or so. Not towing 20,000 or more. So I’m really conflicted.
From all accounts the 7.3 is going to be a very capable gas engine. Keep in mind it's still a gas engine with the typical torque and hp curves found in most naturally aspirated, big-block V8 gas engines. Max torque 4,000 and max hp 5,500. These numbers (more or less) define how it will respond in conjunction with the tranny while under heavy load. Gas engines are very tranny dependent---they need to be to keep the engine in the sweet spot--especially on hills. As long as you don't have an issue with this M.O., then you'll be happy with any of the big-block gas engines (especially with an 8-10 speed tranny). On the flipside, the big-block diesels will rarely downshift with a camper onboard, even on very steep hills. That's the beauty of 800++ ft.lbs. of torque at less than 2,000 rpms. Whether the added costs for a diesel is worth this beauty is your call. Happy shopping!!

* This post was edited 11/15/19 09:22pm by otrfun *

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/19 09:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TCjeff wrote:

We in the West tend to over-truck, F150 properly configured may be more practical.

guidry

Texas Cajun

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/16/19 04:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dually diesel for when you decide to change to another TC or 5th wheel trailer. Eventually most change.

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/19 06:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you go with a one ton SRW its gonna' need 19.5" tires and wheels plus some type of rear suspension help. These trucks rear axle runs from 7000 up to 7250 rawr.
These truck rear axle may weigh in the 3300-3400 lb range when empty which leaves around 3500-3800 lbs depending on actual scaled weights and the trucks rawr numbers.

Add 4800 lbs in the bed of a one ton srw crew cab 4wd truck plus 3400 lb empty weight = over 8200 lbs gross weight on the OEM rear axle/tires and wheels.

I would be looking at one ton DRW trucks for carrying 4800 lbs in the bed.....a white one of course.

New gas or diesel...your choice there.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Best truck for Northern Lite 10-2
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.