|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Best truck for Northern Lite 10-2

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/19 12:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice rig,Bigfoot..Love to have that setup regardless of the engine.

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/19 12:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimh425 wrote:

Idaho Lolo Web Pass cam shows a 50 speed limit sign. So, we were both wrong, but both close. [emoticon] There are some higher speeds on highway 12 on the Montana side but not near the pass.

Highway 12 is not the pass the entire length and not steep the entire length.

That's the speed limit in Idaho your seeing,not Montana..US 12 West speed limit is 50 mph from Kooskie to Lolo pass summit..A very dangerous road,there are more wrecks on that road than any I know of...Our scanner goes off daily on US 12 wrecks on the Lolo road..

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/19 01:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You seem to be agreeing with me. That section is not a good indicator of the kind of MPG you can expect for significant stretches almost anywhere in the country.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

bigfootgrey

Connecticut

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/19 01:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks jayco
A gas engine would be ok but there’s lots of times that you appreciate the diesel’s torque and power. No mountains in Ct but it’s nice to pull away from a pack of bunched- up non-drivers and clear out of a potential hazard on the highway!!

* This post was edited 11/16/19 01:43pm by bigfootgrey *

2011 Ford F-350 PSD SC DRW
2008 Bigfoot 25C-10.4E
Firestone airbags - torklift stable-loads,fastguns,Talons Rancho rs 9000XL’s. 2015 Lund Alaskan 1600 tiller.

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/19 01:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bigfootgrey wrote:

[image]

Our Bigfoot 10.4 is close in weight to your NL 10.2 Truck is used as daily driver. Average 14.5 MPG with camper on. I wouldn’t want to haul it with anything less. You asked for the BEST truck for your camper: 4x4 Diesel Dually

IMHO, I think your truck fits the OPs needs perfect.

When I bought my truck I had X number of dollars to spend on a pickup.

I had two choices. 1) A used diesel with 150,000+ miles or, 2) a low mileage gas.

I chose the low mileage gas and glad I did. My truck currently has 200,000 miles on it. Had I bought the diesel it would have close to 330,000 miles on it.

Diesels have more power and get better fuel mileage. I don't get why people constantly argue which is "better".

I'm more than happy with what I have. I'm pushing its limits with my camper but does what I want it to do just fine.

If I had the money and was going to travel cross country with my camper I'd pick a 1-tin diesel dually over a gasser any day.

Its always better to have more than you need and its sucks to not have enough.

I put 30,000 miles on my truck every year and I would hate to be driving a 1-ton dually.

If I was going to do a of of traveling and didn't tow a trailer I'd look for a Class C instead of a truck and camper.

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd Regular cab.
What real trucks really look like.
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
6580 lb truck 10540 fully loaded

TCjeff

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/19 02:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is amazing. Thanks for all the input folks. Very interesting.

So what I'm hearing is that, performance wise, a modern gas engine/transmission combo could do the job with a bit of effort in the mountains but diesel wouldn't break a sweat and could cruise comfortably at higher speeds. Also, a DRW is preferred for the payload. But if I go with the gas/drw combo the truck should be pink and no one will want it. I get that.

So it's gas/srw with suspension mods to handle the weight or diesel/drw with minimum mods if any.

While I'm pondering that, why is it that no one is weighing in with an opinion on the Ford, GM, Ram issue. I understand that both these issue are hot topics (diesel vs gas and sfrw vs drw), which makes me feel somewhat better about not being able to decide.

Regarding brands, initially, I was leaning towards Ram, mostly of the nicer creature comforts IMO. But I received more negative feedback than positive regarding reliability. Most recommendations were for Ford and it seems that Ford has the biggest share of the market despite their pricing, which I understand is a bit higher that Ram and GM. So I'm actually leaning towards Ford at the moment.

Of course, if I go with a F-350 DRW diesel in the Lariat trim for decent creature comforts (since we will be travelling in it for a year) I'm sure to be shocked by the sticker price. But you only live once . . . which is why DW and I are taking this trip in the first place!

Thanks again for all the help everyone!

burningman

Seattle, WA USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/19 02:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

We in the West tend to over-truck, F150 properly configured may be more practical.

We will have to assume you don’t know what a Northern Lite 10-2 is.
It’s absolutely not F150 territory.

2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/19 03:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I was a diesel,I'd get the Dodge for sure,if it was gas,then the Ford and the new 7.3 gas...

ardvark

Bristol, TN.

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/19 03:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The last three trucks have been Fords; the two before that wore a GM badge. Never had a problem with any of them. I think we all buy what we like and then think up rationale to explain why we did what we did. [emoticon]

My wife and I have a simple system of deciding what to buy. We look it over and say "if we buy this instead of that will we be happier", if the answer is yes we buy it, if the answer is no, we don't.

Had dually diesel, now run SRW gasser. Seen lots of elevation out West, never had to get out and push yet. [emoticon] Local Ford dealer tells me 60% of the trucks they sell (not including F150s) are diesel. Lots of big loads being hauled I guess. [emoticon] Wondering if the new 7.3 would make us smile. Still talking that one over!

Our gasser does use its transmission to haul us up the grade, but those grades all got a downside to em and there are even a few spots that are kinda flat if I recall correctly. [emoticon]

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/19 03:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TCjeff wrote:

While I'm pondering that, why is it that no one is weighing in with an opinion on the Ford, GM, Ram issue.

It might help if you say what engine you are talking about Diesel/Gasoline, new/used, and what trim levels are you interested in.

I wouldn’t personally buy a new Ford due to the price unless I was set on the 7.3 gasoline, but I’d buy a used 6.7 diesel. I also wouldn’t buy a used RAM because the new ones are quite a bit nicer and are pretty heavily discounted new. For GM it’s a bit of a toss up, but I’d avoid them because I don’t feel their front ends are as strong although they probably ride better and last I heard, the beds are crowned and the tailgate area is narrow. YMMV.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Best truck for Northern Lite 10-2
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.