|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
rexmitchell

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/18/19 05:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Any other recommendations for camp grounds? I’d like full hook ups as our hunting camp is completely off the grid and I’d like to be comfortable on the road.

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/18/19 06:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Study Butte has a couple of cg. You'll need to check campgroundreviews for their names. We stayed at one in July, both are basically parking lots. And then there is the one in the video which is 15-20 minutes from the park.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

patperry2766

Saginaw Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/03/19 01:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just got back from a week there. Stayed at the Big Bend Resort RV Park. Think I paid about $25 a night for 30A & water in the no reservation section. Since it was Thanksgiving school break, everything else was booked.

As far as the park, it was pretty much to be expected for the area, dirt roads but out of all the parks I drove by, they did seem to be the largest with the most amount of shade trees, which is a rarity in that area. Nothing like shade trees from mountains like Colorado, Montana, etc...just West Texas desert shading. They do advertise WiFi, but from where I was located in proximity to the office, it was pretty useless. The do have a lobby/TV/pool table kinda area that you can chill at and the reception is much better. Showers are $2.00 for 5 minutes and it's well worth it after a long day. They also have bathrooms, but can get congested at times. they do have a laundry facility from 9a-5p that has a bathroom as well...USE THAT ONE. Minimal traffic. Overall, I was happy with the location and overall campground itself, and I wouldn't have a problem staying there again, but I'd plan better and make reservations.

Price for diesel was $3.30/gal & 2.95 for unleaded. There are visitors centers withing the parks that sell fuel, but didn't check prices. With the exception of beer, everything is about 25-35% higher there that what I'm use to paying at home. The closest Wal-Mart was about 150 miles, so take what you think you'd need.

As for Big Bend, you really have to experience it to understand it and become infected with it. It's either love it/hate it. If you're use to having activities overload on trips, then you might be disappointed. However, if you're willing to seek out the beauty of the area, then it's easily to get overwhelmed with the geology/ecology of the area. There are several miles of dirt roads to travel (4x4, dirt bike, ATV) and several hiking trails and that's where you can get a true feel for the area.

Terlingua is a quirky town that has a personality that can't really be described with just one word.

Fall & Spring are their buzy seasons so plan ahead with the holidays being even busier. Overall, it was a great trip and it will be on my to visit list again real soon.

Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and Central Fla

View Profile

Posted: 12/03/19 08:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We love Big Bend ... can't wait to head there again.

If you're on your way and pass near Ft Davis State Park, that's a great stop-over. Small park, but lots of history, not to mention the Javalina antics.

Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

GoHorns

McKinney, Tx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/03/19 12:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We were down there two years ago during Christmas. We spent a few days on the east side at the Stillwell Store (just outside the park). .. as well as Maverick Ranch on the west side. Both had full hookups and we enjoyed them both. Stillwell Store is amazingly remote...

2017 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi, 4x4, 3.92
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2150RB
Equalizer 14k

Semi Empty Nesters
Jer 20:9

TxGearhead

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/09/19 09:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Been saying I would go for years. Was thinking about using Seminole Canyon SP as a stopover from Houston.
Anyone have experience there?

2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS