|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Trickle Charging Chassis battery

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Land Yachters

Philadelphia

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/19 02:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am new to everything in our new (used Tiffin 33aa) coach, but am learning fast. I just learned the battery charger is only connected to house batteries, not chassis batteries. I have power connected while sitting outside for the winter, but that won't help chassis power. I expect to be starting/driving on occasion during the winter months, just to become more comfortable driving it, and want to just connect charger to the chassis batteries. If you look at pic, in the upper right corner, there are 2 terminals, labeled chassis battery (+) and chassis battery (-). Can I just connect charger to those 2 terminals for trickle charging? Maybe I am overthinking this, but don't want to make expensive mistake.
[image]

* This post was edited 11/16/19 02:40pm by Land Yachters *

Land Yachters
Philadelphia, PA
2018 Tiffin 33aa

Boon Docker

Mountain Foothills of South Western Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/19 02:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Deleted photo, OP fixed original

* This post was edited 11/16/19 05:05pm by Boon Docker *

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/19 02:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would add a trik-l-start unit.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/19 02:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes but I'd connect to the battery posts below.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Lwiddis

Los Angeles area :(

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/16/19 04:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Plugin charging isn’t the only way for house or chassis batteries.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

Sam Spade

North Central Florida

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/19 05:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First, are you assuming that the chassis battery doesn't charge when the coach is plugged in......or did you actually test it to be sure ?

You NEED a multi-meter, for this and future questions/problems.

Neither of my two units did either.....but they were supposed to and the fix was fairly simple and inexpensive. The bad "battery relay" caused the coach batteries not to charge when going down the road either.

P.S. If you find that you do need a separate charger, it needs to be an automatic tender type and NOT a cheap trickle charger. The difference is important.

'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/19 07:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the batteries are all together it would be a simple matter to connect the starting battery in parallel with the house bank & give it a trickle charge that way.

There are always ghost draws of power however small. The only way to make the vehicle completely dead is to physically disconnect the battery. It will still discharge. About 10% per month for a wet cell. 5% per month if you have AGMs.

AGMs are more forgiving. My 5er was put away last week. It has a single 4D AGM. Battery was disconnected & won't see any attention till next April. My last AGM gave me 9 years service storing this way.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/16/19 08:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I had a Class C with a chassis battery, it did not charge from the converter/charger. I bought a Trik-L-Start and installed it on the solenoid that connected the two batteries together when I pushed a button on the dash. I put the source wire on the house battery lug. I put the destination wire on the chassis battery lug. I grounded the unit to the chassis. From then on, as long as the RV was plugged in, the chassis battery charged. The Trik-L-Start was secure in the electrical bay, out of sight. I bet whoever bought that RV 3 years ago still doesn't know it is there, but just assumes the converter/charger always kept the chassis battery charged.

Bobbo, Linda and the furry kid (45 pound rescue)
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

garym114

Bluff Dale, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/19 09:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just make yourself a ring jumper, one wire, connect + of house to + of chassis battery.

[image]

2000 Sea Breeze F53 V10 - CR-V Toad
Some RV batteries live a long and useful life, some are murdered.
Get a Digital Multimeter and Learn How to Use It

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/17/19 07:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

garym114 wrote:

Just make yourself a ring jumper, one wire, connect + of house to + of chassis battery.

[image]

VERY bad idea. If you drain the house battery, you also drain the chassis battery and won't be able to start the MH to drive anywhere. The Trik-L-Start is a one way power transfer. It allows power to flow from the house battery (converter/charger) to the chassis battery, but does not allow current to flow the other direction. That prevents the house from running down the chassis battery. (It also doesn't let power flow from the house battery to the chassis battery if the house battery charge is lower than the chassis battery charge.)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Trickle Charging Chassis battery
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS