|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Registering 1-ton Truck in KS

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
EgorKC

Kansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/24/19 10:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our 2012 F350 SRW was $229, personal property tax. Tagged for 20M lb and if I remember right the license fee was around $150. Next level for tagging was 24M and around another $100. more. We insure for RV use only and it costs less than 2010 Ford Ranger 4 Cyl. daily driver.
Greg / Chef

You cannot stop growing old but you don't have to grow up. ">
Chef/Pilot
DW/Navigator
2 Sons, 1 DIL, 2 Grandsons, 1 Granddaughter. Boz the cat">
2012 F350 XLT 6.7 Powerstroke 4X4 SWD Crewcab.
2012 Wildcat 313RE-OK

otrfun

Desert SW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/24/19 12:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

KS DMV website has a property tax calculator.
Gets you the tax required annually.
I plugged in a 2018 3500HD and got ~$700 tax and 2014 3500HD and got ~$400 tax.
Good to know. Thx! Would have been nice if the KS DMV CS rep would have mentioned that when I called.

ksbowman

Kansas

View Profile

Posted: 11/24/19 09:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just make sure it has been licensed in another state. Kansas sales tax is high (10% in some locales). $6000 on a $60,000 truck! We own land in other states so we register them the first year there.

jrs1871

Kansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/25/19 06:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The problem is most motor vehicle clerks are not aware of a provision in the statute that exempts trucks that are used for pulling an RV from the higher commercial weights. A truck is supposed to be tagged for hte combination weight of the truck and what it is towing. It doesn't take a very large RV to get over the 16/20,000 pound commercial weight limit. So they will try to charge you the higher 16/20 fees which are payable in January each year. With the RV exemption, you pay standard vehicle tag fees in the month you renew your other vehicle tags.

When we first got our 2010 diesel pickup, they charged us the higher commercial rate. When it came time to renew, I took a copy of the statute with me and the motor vehicle clerk still didn't believe me. Finally I said, renew as a non commercial vehicle and I will contest that it is the correct tagging if I am ever stopped. In the six years since, we have never been questioned. But to be on the safe side, I carry a copy of the statute with the exemption phrase highlighted in the packet with my registration and insurance info. So our tag says 24,000 but we are tagged at the non business rate. Hope this helps.

otrfun

Desert SW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/25/19 11:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jrs1871 wrote:

The problem is most motor vehicle clerks are not aware of a provision in the statute that exempts trucks that are used for pulling an RV from the higher commercial weights. A truck is supposed to be tagged for hte combination weight of the truck and what it is towing. It doesn't take a very large RV to get over the 16/20,000 pound commercial weight limit. So they will try to charge you the higher 16/20 fees which are payable in January each year. With the RV exemption, you pay standard vehicle tag fees in the month you renew your other vehicle tags.

When we first got our 2010 diesel pickup, they charged us the higher commercial rate. When it came time to renew, I took a copy of the statute with me and the motor vehicle clerk still didn't believe me. Finally I said, renew as a non commercial vehicle and I will contest that it is the correct tagging if I am ever stopped. In the six years since, we have never been questioned. But to be on the safe side, I carry a copy of the statute with the exemption phrase highlighted in the packet with my registration and insurance info. So our tag says 24,000 but we are tagged at the non business rate. Hope this helps.
Didn't know about the "RV exemption", thanks!

Did finally determine what property tax we'll pay to register our 1-ton truck in KS. It's very similar to what we pay in AZ. Still have no idea about the title/registration/tags costs. When I visited the KS DMV website it was hard to tell whether a 10,000+ GVWR alone gets you qualified as a commercial vehicle, or whether it's a combination of GVWR and a specific use. Guess I'll try the RV exemption you suggested and see how that goes. Thanks again.

otrfun

Desert SW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/25/19 11:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ksbowman wrote:

Just make sure it has been licensed in another state. Kansas sales tax is high (10% in some locales). $6000 on a $60,000 truck! We own land in other states so we register them the first year there.
Thanks. Does KS charge sales tax on a private-party to private-party used vehicle sale?

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/25/19 01:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

otrfun wrote:

ksbowman wrote:

Thanks. Does KS charge sales tax on a private-party to private-party used vehicle sale?
Yes

jrs1871

Kansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/26/19 05:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The statute that covers the recreational vehicle exemption is 8-143(5)(b)(1).

ksbowman

Kansas

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/19 05:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

otrfun wrote:

ksbowman wrote:

Yes, not only do they charge sales tax on private party to private party but, if the amount sounds too low they have a set amount of what the vehicle should sell for and will charge you for that rate. Our last truck (diesel & used) was $1700 cheaper registered at our Missouri home than our Kansas home. Also, Missouri personal property tax is not charged till the following licensing year.

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/19 05:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ksbowman wrote:

otrfun wrote:

ksbowman wrote:

Yes, not only do they charge sales tax on private party to private party but, if the amount sounds too low they have a set amount of what the vehicle should sell for and will charge you for that rate. Our last truck (diesel & used) was $1700 cheaper registered at our Missouri home than our Kansas home. Also, Missouri personal property tax is not charged till the following licensing year.
If you have a bill of sale they will honor the price, did not use to be that way, they went by book value.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Registering 1-ton Truck in KS
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS