|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Road Trip! BC to California

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Berkyeng

British Columbia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/17/19 09:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi All

I’m new to the forum and was hoping to get some advice!

My family purchased our first Diesel Pusher (2009 Berkshire 390BH) this summer. We have been travel trailer RV-ers for over a decade but wanted to take it to the next level. Living in southeastern British Columbia, we are used to spending our summers hitting great RV destinations in BC, Alberta, and the northwestern US.

Now that we have a bigger rig, we want to expand both our travels and our camping season. I’m strongly considering a Spring Break (mid-March 2020) 10-12 day road trip with my sons (aged 6 & 10h) down to Disneyland in California with the bus. Given that we live about an hour east of Cranbrook BC I know that winter weather is a risk. Thoughts on how to get south of the snow safely at this time of year? What recommended routes are available? Also any good RV park recommendations along said routes? Will RV parks be open? I’m thinking I can log about 800kms/day.

Thanks in advance for the help!

* This post was edited 11/17/19 09:24pm by Berkyeng *

BerkyEng
Sparwood BC
2009 Berkshire 390BH

Bowling Green, KY

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/19 06:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moved from ATC

PartyOf Five

Wheaton, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/18/19 06:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like a great trip! Don't forget to consider roadway elevation as part of the time and show calculations... 800 km would make for dinner long driving days with darkness. Maybe N. Cal makes more sense.

Da Moose:2001 31' E450. 30k in 3yrs.
PartyOf5: Driver's DW & 3 pre-teens -trying to connect, learn, appreciate creation & the Creator
May you find Peace in all that you endeavor

MarkTwain

Northern, Ca. , USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/19 07:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Disneyland trip! If Disneyland is the major reason for your trip and you only have 10 to 12 days available for your trip, I would suggest you consider flying into L.A., renting a car and staying at the Disneyland Hotel. 6 out of your 12 days will be spent bouncing down the highway. Your proposed 400 miles per day trip is more like a marathon and guaranteed to give you a case of SORE A_ _! with little time to stop, rest and enjoy the trip!! Driving a RV in southern Calif. is a nightmare for me. I will drive 100 miles out of my way to avoid driving anywhere near L.A. And yes I use to live in L.A.

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/19 08:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Think about coming south to Longview, WA, then US 30 to US 101 at Astoria, OR, then south on US 101.
A slower, but scenic and normally no snow route.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

#1Flyboy

California

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/19 08:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

.... I’m with Mark Twain on his comments....

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/19 08:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Find a weather window and drive south on the east side of the Cascades. Your best bet is the Columiba Gorge to I-5. I like the east side highway through Bend, crossing the Columbia at Goldendale, WA when the weather allows it, to US 395 south. There are many routes, depending on the weather.

romore

Okanagan valley British Columbia

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/19 09:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We did it in 2010, I would not try it again. We lost 6 days of our vacation driviving the rather boring I-5,parts were scenic but overall it is mind numbing. For the limited time you have fly down and rent a car.

garyhaupt

Penticton, BC..land of wine, sun, retirees....

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/19 09:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The drive from north to south is THE way to go, so good for you. My feelings are...it is all about whether you want to make miles or see stuff. If it's miles, the 101 doesn't make it. But..if you want to just take it all in? Take I-5 to Olympia and hang a right off to Aberdeen. Once there, bear right and up the coast a bit to the best Wa State Park...AT the beach..not ON it. Pacific Beach. My issue is cost. It's going to be $100.00 per night.

Head south on 101 and just cruise. There are state parks and national parks all along the 101. Stop every chance you get..all the small towns. We keep our phone on and my co-pilot is looking at every spot, on-line..learning what's what and if we need to go see something. This way..took us three weeks last year to get to San Diego.

Gary Haupt

I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/19 10:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, you could go straight south or north on I-5. Badest area is south of Ashland, OR over the Siskiyou mountains down to almost Redding, CA. You can check road conditions on tripcheck.com.
You might think about going down on US 101 and returning on I-5 or other routes.
Biggest thing is to watch the wether! You must "carry" chains in WA and Or, but try to avoid areas.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Road Trip! BC to California
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.