RV.Net Open Roads Forum: What is the purpose of low point drains?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> What is the purpose of low point drains?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
JoshuaH

Jefferson City, Mo

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/19 12:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

New camper we bought has low point drains under the camper for both the hot and cold lines.

I assume this is for draining the water system, is this a good enough method for winterizing? Is it just for winterizing if you are caught off guard and don't have any antifreeze?

Just wondering exactly what the purpose of these are.

Thanks!

allen8106

Burrton. KS

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/18/19 12:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They are for draining the water out of the system at that low point. You'll still need to close them after draining and either blow the lines out with air or winterize with RV anti-freeze. I prefer the anti-freeze method. Your choice though depending on how much risk you're willing to take.

2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/18/19 12:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If all the plumbing was sloped towards the low point with absolutely no sags, then maybe it would work. But RV's are built any which way and you can't count on draining properly.

JoshuaH

Jefferson City, Mo

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/19 12:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

If all the plumbing was sloped towards the low point with absolutely no sags, then maybe it would work. But RV's are built any which way and you can't count on draining properly.

That is what I was thinking, so I was wondering what is the point of having them there in the first place.

schlep1967

Harrisburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/18/19 12:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you open all spigots/taps before opening the low point drains, you should get most of the water out as it will act like a siphon. Once that is done close the low points and spigots/taps. Add antifreeze to the lines running it through every line and tap.

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
2009 Open Range 385RLS
Pull-Rite Super Glide

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/19 12:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JoshuaH wrote:

Lynnmor wrote:

That is what I was thinking, so I was wondering what is the point of having them there in the first place.

Because W/O the Low Point Drains HOW would you get the water out of the Hot/Cold water lines???

Open the Low point Drains.....then with an adapter connected to City water inlet you can BLOW air thru the Lines and remove majority of water in the system
Course there is the issue of the water pump.

RV Anti-freeze pumped thru the Cold & Hot Systems (out faucets/showers/toilet AND Low Point drains you get rid of the water and protect with anti-freeze

W/O Low Point Drains that would be hard to accomplish.

Course...one doesn't have to use them

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/19 01:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I had my trailer I didn’t even drain the lines. I ran antifreeze through the system until it all came out pink. Never had an issue. If I’m not feeling lazy then I’ll pull the low points and drain, otherwise I just run the pink through it.

* This post was edited 11/18/19 05:41pm by dodge guy *

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/18/19 01:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JoshuaH wrote:

Lynnmor wrote:

Otherwise you'll be carrying a dead load of water every time, duh![emoticon][emoticon][emoticon]

schlep1967

Harrisburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/18/19 01:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

When I had my trailer I didn’t even drain the lines. I ran water through the system until it all came out pink. Never had an issue. If I’m not feeling lazy then I’ll pull the low points and drain, otherwise I just run the pink through it.

If your low point drains are valves above the floor line you can get away with this. If they are caps below the trailer, do yourself a favor and drain them. If you don't there is a good chance you will have nothing but water in the lines hanging down. No antifreeze. When those caps freeze and crack you will have a problem next year.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/18/19 01:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Seriously this time, I would suggest you run the pump while all faucets are turned on or open to drain all water in the lines. Then open the low point drains.

Do these again after you've loaded the 4 to 6 gallons of RVC fresh water anti-freeze.

Others suggested blowing air to purge all water inside. I just installed a water accumulator and indeed there are bent pipes where water can accumulate, freeze and crack.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> What is the purpose of low point drains?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS