RV.Net Open Roads Forum: What is the purpose of low point drains?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> What is the purpose of low point drains?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
cavie

Port Charlotte Fl/ Hindsdale MA

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/19 02:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

If all the plumbing was sloped towards the low point with absolutely no sags, then maybe it would work. But RV's are built any which way and you can't count on draining properly.

That is why we we install antifreeze

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

cavie

Port Charlotte Fl/ Hindsdale MA

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/19 02:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

JoshuaH wrote:

Lynnmor wrote:

If all the plumbing was sloped towards the low point with absolutely no sags, then maybe it would work. But RV's are built any which way and you can't count on draining properly.

That is what I was thinking, so I was wondering what is the point of having them there in the first place.

Otherwise you'll be carrying a dead load of water every time, duh![emoticon][emoticon][emoticon]

You don't really need them. My 2011 keystone does not have low point drains.

spoon059

Just north of D.C.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/18/19 04:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JoshuaH wrote:

That is what I was thinking, so I was wondering what is the point of having them there in the first place.

The point is to drain water from your rig. A couple years ago we were in the middle of camping season when my wife got very sick during a pregnancy. We stopped camping mid season and didn't go out for months. Water from a campground was in the water heater and developed a putrid sulphur-esque smell from sitting for months. It took a long time to get rid of that smell. Lesson learned... we drain our low points after every outing so we don't get that smell ever again.

2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/19 04:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are two ways (or 4) to winterize (one is kind of expendsive. one I use and the other two is where the low points come in.

1: The wet or Pink Stuff method.. Open the low point drains and the kitchen sink, Drain and bypass the water heater. Also the ice maker (I won't describe how to drain it here) Once it's all drained add pink stuff to the lines via one or another method (again I won't describe as others will do that)

2: Dry method. This is where the low point drains SHINE
Open all valves. Drain and bypass the water heater (Same as above) drain the ice maker (Again same as above) Blow Babriel Blow using a tank type air compressor and regulator (50 psi is good) and blow out adapter (There are two types I like the Quick Connect type better than the tire stem type. Easier to use.

With my six gallon 150 PSI compressor I blow till exhausted (out of air) let it run till it shuts off and do it again, like 5-10 times.. There may still be a few drops of water left but .. not enough to do damage. now close vales and wait till spring. Pink the drains and toilets.
Advantage dry
1: If the air freezes I won't worry about the RV
2: No Pink Stuff to flush out of the lines (Flushing drains is .. Easy Flushing fresh, not so much)
3: Lower cost.

Now the method I use the "S" method Drive south (Upstate S.Carolina lowlands (under 1000' altitude) for me.. I have seen 11 degrees here (Had one line freeze no damage) but only once (poor Campground had to bulldoze the main building and rebuild) The full S method you strap on a snow blower and when someone asks "What the "BLEEP" is that.. You are winterized.. I did not do that But Home Depot does not display them here [emoticon] (Though they do need 'em about 1000' up the mountain and I'm in the Blue Ridge toe hills)

4: The expensive method: Heated indoor storage.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Johno02

Lexington, TN USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/18/19 04:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like to drain first, as we do not have sewer connections where we park for the winter, and I do not want to leave excess water in the waste tanks. After draining as much as possible, and draining the hot water tank and setting bypass valves, I use the water pump to fill all lines with pink stuff, and enough extra to fill drain traps. Then go back inside and have a beer.

Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)
2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and a grouchy, old, tiny dog

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/18/19 04:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have used my low point drains to pump out my fresh water without filling the waste tanks.

I put a hose bib on the hot side to defrost the ice on top of the slide.

That is it for me.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/19 05:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

schlep1967 wrote:

dodge guy wrote:

When I had my trailer I didn’t even drain the lines. I ran water through the system until it all came out pink. Never had an issue. If I’m not feeling lazy then I’ll pull the low points and drain, otherwise I just run the pink through it.

If your low point drains are valves above the floor line you can get away with this. If they are caps below the trailer, do yourself a favor and drain them. If you don't there is a good chance you will have nothing but water in the lines hanging down. No antifreeze. When those caps freeze and crack you will have a problem next year.

I agree with you. The very first year I didn't even think of it. When I thought about it I went to the storage yard and seen pink in the lines at the caps so I left it. It was fine all winter. After that I would crack the drain open and let it trickle till it came out pink. I either just got lucky that first year or ere was some leftover pink stuff from when it was new.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

leggy

Montrose Pa

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/19 03:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So, I use the pink stuff and then pull the low point drains. Last couple years I've had to take rig for a drive after. I imagine a fair amount of pink stuff works out of lines. No purpose to doing it that way but figure it doesn't matter.

pbeverly

South Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/19/19 03:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Before pulling out of a campsite I open up my low point drains and let them drain as I drive home. I drove for a couple hours once, stopped to get fuel, and was amazed as to how much water started coming out the drains as I fueled up. That stop was a good angle to get more water out.

Ridgeway, SC

noteven

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/19 09:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pbeverly wrote:

Before pulling out of a campsite I open up my low point drains and let them drain as I drive home. I drove for a couple hours once, stopped to get fuel, and was amazed as to how much water started coming out the drains as I fueled up. That stop was a good angle to get more water out.

I appreciate people doing this when I ride me motorbikes. There is always that first moment of “I hope that’s fresh water...” A taste test confirms the source.

Anyways the low point drains on my camper are used for draining the water system.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> What is the purpose of low point drains?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS