|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
dblr

Newark De

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/20/19 05:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just stayed in River Edge but in a cabin, nice place and even nicer people, any site would fit you but the ones near the stream are close to the road so noisy. The trolley also stops there as well.

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB
2001 Kenworth T2000
2009 Smart on the deck.

Campfire Time

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/19 06:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

spoon059 wrote:

Pigeon Forge is a pretty cheesy tourist trap area. Are you specifically wanting to stay there, or just that general area?

My question as well. We stayed at Smoky Bear Campground 20 minutes east of Gatlinburg. Away from the crowds but not so far as to have long drives to anything. Really nice place, excellent hosts!

Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid, 2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71

Sqdancecaller

Minford, Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/20/19 09:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'll put in another vote for Pine Mountain. Stayed there last Memorial Day and we were very impressed . Hope to get back there in the future.

2013 Thor Chateau 32 ft.

ken56

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/20/19 01:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One mans 'pretty cheesy' is another mans entertainment. Really people, if a place like Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge and Sevierville are not your so called cup of tea then fine, don't come but to tell others basically not to bother because you don't care for it is unnecessary. If you prefer to boondock and avoid people thats fine with everyone who would like to see the shows and partake of the great restaurants and the National Park. To each his own.

happy2rv

Huntsville, AL, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/20/19 09:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've been to Pigeon Forge for Thanksgiving almost every year for the past 20 years. A few of those years we stayed in cabins or hotels, but most have been in the motor home or travel trailer.

The past couple of years we've stayed at River Plantation and we haven't had any complaints. River Plantation is on the Parkway in Sevierville, but it set back off the road a ways. It's in town enough to provide easy access to restaurants and shopping but not so much that you have to drive the RV through hours of Parkway traffic to get in and out.

We've also stayed at Riverside RV Park which is closer to I-40 before you get into Sevierville Parkway traffic. That's nice because you don't have to fight the heavy traffic with the RV but you do have a bit of a drive to get to the attractions.

During this trip, we don't spend a lot of time "camping", so I can't say much about either campground's amenities. We do usually take a fire pit and spend some time around our camp fire, but don't typically do much else around the campground.

It might be "cheesy tourist" attractions, but we obviously enjoy it or we wouldn't have made it a family tradition. For those that don't enjoy touristy, there are better/cheaper/more rustic/peaceful places for rustic camping. I know this will seem completely foreign to some here, but not everyone who owns an RV wants to go into the mosquito infested woods and "boon dock" every trip. Sometimes cheesy touristy isn't bad.

There are some really good restaurants in the area. Yes, we drag a kitchen with us in the RV and it makes an excellent place to store the leftovers on this particular annual trip. We went to the Apple Barn for Thanksgiving for many years, but recently we've been going to Mama's Farmhouse. We still visit the Apple Barn to shop and usually eat there some time during the weekend though. The Old Mill restaurant has also always been very good and large portions.

I also know that many here would also rather die a thousand different ways than go shopping, especially at an outlet mall during a "camping" trip. However, some people actually enjoy shopping. I can't say its my favorite thing, but we usually do, against my better judgement, go to the outlet stores sometime during black Friday. At least there are tool outlets...

2018 Forrest River Salem Hemisphere 282RK - 2017 RAM 1500 TV

Previous RVs and TOADS
2004 Fleetwood Bounder 32W on WH W20
2000 Four Winds 5000 21RB
1986 27' Allegro
TOADS
2005 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD
2004 Suzuki Aerio
1988 Chevrolet Sprint

Campfire Time

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/19 06:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ken56 wrote:

One mans 'pretty cheesy' is another mans entertainment. Really people, if a place like Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge and Sevierville are not your so called cup of tea then fine, don't come but to tell others basically not to bother because you don't care for it is unnecessary. If you prefer to boondock and avoid people thats fine with everyone who would like to see the shows and partake of the great restaurants and the National Park. To each his own.

It's opinion, yes. All the more reason to share it. Give a better "picture" of what the place is. This is how we learn from one another. If you asked a question about a destination and everyone raved about it then you went and found you hated it because people only raved about certain aspects, how would you feel about that? Cheated?

And who said anything about avoiding people? You're pointing to extremes. Avoiding the heavy traffic and crowds? Yes. Staying at a nice quiet place with all the amenities away from the crowds but still not far from the "action"? Also yes. There is a middle ground.

People reading can take or leave what's posted. Always keep in mind that others are not going to rave about what you like and don't be upset that they don't. So don't tell others what they should or should not share. Sharing information is what forums are all about.

ken56

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/22/19 06:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Campfire Time wrote:

ken56 wrote:

It's opinion, yes. All the more reason to share it. Give a better "picture" of what the place is. This is how we learn from one another. If you asked a question about a destination and everyone raved about it then you went and found you hated it because people only raved about certain aspects, how would you feel about that? Cheated?

And who said anything about avoiding people? You're pointing to extremes. Avoiding the heavy traffic and crowds? Yes. Staying at a nice quiet place with all the amenities away from the crowds but still not far from the "action"? Also yes. There is a middle ground.

People reading can take or leave what's posted. Always keep in mind that others are not going to rave about what you like and don't be upset that they don't. So don't tell others what they should or should not share. Sharing information is what forums are all about.

Mea culpa. All opinions are welcome.

spoon059

Just north of D.C.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/23/19 06:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ken56 wrote:

One mans 'pretty cheesy' is another mans entertainment. Really people, if a place like Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge and Sevierville are not your so called cup of tea then fine, don't come but to tell others basically not to bother because you don't care for it is unnecessary.

I never said any such thing. I was asking if they specifically wanted to stay in Pigeon Forge itself, or the vicinity. The main drag of Pigeon Forge is quite a different experience than getting 2 miles away from it. Some people want to be on the strip, others want to be in that general area. Before one can offer advice, they need to clarify what is being sought.

I never said don't bother. I never said I didn't care for it. Your projections are not necessary. I've been to the area, I love it. It made me interested in retiring to eastern Tennessee. I prefer Gatlinburg's tourist traps to Pigeon Forge's tourist traps. Prior to actually going there I didn't know the difference between the two cities. It sounds as if the OP isn't familiar with the area (hence the question), and I simply sought clarification for his answers. I'm sorry if my questions offended you, but I was just trying to figure out what the OP was looking for...

2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Hammerboy

Zeeland, MI

View Profile

Posted: 11/23/19 06:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree that the Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area is one giant tourist trap. But that doesn't mean that is a negative. Some people like tourist trap type stuff myself included to a certain extent. I do like Gatlinburg better as it is walk able whereas Pigeon Forge you need to drive unless you take the trolley of course.

Dan

2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 11/23/19 06:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are looking for price & don't need any of the 'resort' stuff or be in the center of all the hub ub, tucked away on the west side of the I40 exit is Dumplin Valley CG.

Seldom real busy. Lots of room for the dog to run. Quiet. No neon to be seen in any direction. It is an ex dairy farm & home to one of the best bluegrass festivals around in September.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS