RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Why no continuous furnace fan option?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Why no continuous furnace fan option?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/20/19 10:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The furnace runs and cycles independently on its own controls. Thermostat just says go or stop.

This is different than the A/C unit that can be controlled with thermostat selections. At home the central AC and Heater are the same unit so again they can be controlled by the thermostat selection for fan.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/19 12:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have only seen one of these and they are usually in hi line 5th wheels. Doug

https://www.camperpartsworld.com/RV-Atwo........urnace-Excalibur-xt-25000-40000-BTU.html

Williebago

Wichita, KS, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/20/19 04:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have three remote thermometers at key locations in the basement around water piping and in the wet bay. When driving down the road in my gas coach, the basement thermometers indicate temps about 10 degrees above the outdoor ambient. So when driving below 20 degrees outside, it would be nice to have the furnace fan pump cabin air into the basement to protect things.

I recognize the furnace fan is a real drain on the batteries, but that would not be a problem if parked and plugged in or while driving with the engine alternator doing the charging.

On a side note, the furnace manual says do not run the furnace while driving.

WILLIEBAGO

2019 Newmar Baystar 3626, F53, 252"WB with 6.8L gas engine
2003 Jeep Liberty Limited Toad
2 cockapoos, Jordy and Nelson, who love RVing

Go K-State Wildcats

doxiemom11

Paris Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/20/19 05:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have been in some pretty cold temps where it did not go above freezing in the day and for several days in a row. With the furnace set at 60 at night and 68 during the day, no problem with the tanks. I don't think they need continuous heat to keep from freezing unless you are in the minus temps, then maybe.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/19 05:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not sure about anyone else, but I don't want to hear the furnace fan running 24/7!

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Heisenberg

West Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/19 04:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mine heats everything back to the waterheater from the engine coolant via a switch on the dash. While travelling.

2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

sundancer268

Charlevoix

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/30/19 05:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I run my Suburban Furnace going down the road anytime I am cold. The dash system will not supply enough heat to keep us warm. Though I have found out that if the furnace flame goes out, the fan will keep running blowing cold air, so maybe you could just shut off the propane and start the furnace, the flame will not light and the furnace will go into the fault mode and the fan should keep running. At that point you can turn your propane back on and the furnace will not start up though the fan will still be running. When you get to where you need the furnace and the propane is on, just shut off the furnace at the thermostat for a minute or so until the fan quits running and then turn the furnace back on. I found this out when we woke up freezing one morning where the furnace had gone out during the night and the fan had not shut off, it was just blowing cold air. I pulled the furnace fuse and then restored power and the furnace took right off and started supplying heat. I later discovered all I had to do was shut it off at the thermostat and it would restart when the thermostat was turned back on.

U. S. Navy (RETIRED) 1993
1995 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 34' Diesel Pusher Cummins B5.9 12 Valve Engine, Allison MD-3060 6 Speed Transmission.
TOAD: 2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
Road Master Sterling All-Terrain, Airforce One

hohenwald48

Nashville, TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/05/19 03:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I installed a switch that allows me to turn on the furnace fan constantly if I want. It involved some splicing and wiring inside the furnace unit. I only use it to keep the basement above freezing when necessary. It's a pretty simple mod if you can read an electrical schematic.

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2015 Open Range 216 RBS
2013 Nissan Armada Platinum

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Why no continuous furnace fan option?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.