RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Want to know how to weigh at a CAT scale?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Want to know how to weigh at a CAT scale?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
ependydad

Here and there

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/21/19 10:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've shared this in the fifth wheel forum, but thought I'd also share it for Beginners. Here is a video that I made for weighing my fifth wheel at a truck stop CAT scale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oB68BKFB1s

Weighing a fifth wheel isn't much different than weighing a travel trailer. Fifth wheels just have 2 weighings:
#1. Truck + trailer
#2. Truck only

For a travel trailer, there's a third:
#1. Truck + trailer with weight distributing hitch (WDH) engaged
#2. Truck + trailer w/o the WDH bars connected (throw them in the truck bed)
#3. Truck only

The order doesn't matter of the weighings, just that you get them each done and get the results. And you pull off of the scale to make any changes. Parking in the truck spots is the hardest part for me.. I weigh on days where there isn't much truck traffic and you can just pull through a spot.

I hope this helps someone!

2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2012 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: B&W Turnover Ball + Companion
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

ken56

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/21/19 11:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You neglect as to how to position the vehicles on the scales

ependydad

Here and there

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/21/19 12:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ken56 wrote:

You neglect as to how to position the vehicles on the scales

Watch the video, young Jedi. I have graphics at 1:55 and 3:10 that show it.

But, you're right- I didn't mention it in my post here.

bucky

Raleigh metro

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/22/19 04:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You don't travel light do you [emoticon] Are you a full timer?

2005 Cummins 2500 2WD LB quad cab pulling a 2007 Jayco 345bhs

ken56

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/22/19 06:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You are correct that I did not click on the link and watch the video. I don't generally do that due to virus and security concerns, call me paranoid. I Know how to weigh and I had to learn also and I was not trying to be snarky here just pointing out there is a proper way to position on the scale which I myself screwed up the fiirst time I weighed my rig. I learned. I hope my comment only pointed out to actually look up the proper way to weigh. Thanks for pointing out an important aspect of safe towing though. I believe a lot of people don't do it and are actually over weight for their TV and push the limits of safety. Thanks again.

twodownzero

NM

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/19 08:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ken56 wrote:

You are correct that I did not click on the link and watch the video. I don't generally do that due to virus and security concerns, call me paranoid. I Know how to weigh and I had to learn also and I was not trying to be snarky here just pointing out there is a proper way to position on the scale which I myself screwed up the fiirst time I weighed my rig. I learned. I hope my comment only pointed out to actually look up the proper way to weigh. Thanks for pointing out an important aspect of safe towing though. I believe a lot of people don't do it and are actually over weight for their TV and push the limits of safety. Thanks again.

If you don't want to review the topic that the thread is about, then why are you commenting?

Also, if you genuinely think there are virus or security concerns with a youtube video, you probably shouldn't be on this forum, either.

ependydad

Here and there

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/22/19 10:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bucky wrote:

You don't travel light do you [emoticon] Are you a full timer?

LOL, yep. Family of 4 fulltiming for the past 4.5 years. We are overpackers to start and now my wife has a vinyl cutting business- she's carrying 2 cutters and 2 heat presses at the moment (the little one is on the way out, but the big one is BIG) plus enough supplies to vinyl a small town!

We run heavy, really heavy!

You should see my truck bed... and this is missing the new Clam screen tent:

[image]

ependydad

Here and there

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/22/19 10:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ken56 wrote:

I appreciate the comment and extra input.

For the "virus and security concerns", you can simply look at the URL. If it's to YouTube, you have next to no concerns. If it's to, "MyScarySite.com" or a URL shortener like TinyURL or bit.ly, then perk your ears up.

gkainz

Arvada, CO, USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/19 02:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the video. I was just going to say "a comment about really having to reach for the control panel when you pull up would be appropriate" and then you pop up an app I didn't know about! Good Job! [emoticon]
The second app you used and referenced TowingPlanner.com/ActualWeights results in an error 404 when I clicked your link ... looks interesting enough that I'll go chase it down. Just testing the root URL at towingplanner.com gives me a 403 Forbidden access error ... ???

'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

ependydad

Here and there

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/22/19 03:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gkainz wrote:

Thanks for the video. I was just going to say "a comment about really having to reach for the control panel when you pull up would be appropriate" and then you pop up an app I didn't know about! Good Job! [emoticon]

The app is AWESOME! No more stretching and no more running into the store to get the weight slip before rolling back around for the 2nd weighing.

gkainz wrote:

The second app you used and referenced TowingPlanner.com/ActualWeights results in an error 404 when I clicked your link ... looks interesting enough that I'll go chase it down. Just testing the root URL at towingplanner.com gives me a 403 Forbidden access error ... ???

UGH, let me look into it. My hosting company has been having issues lately.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Want to know how to weigh at a CAT scale?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS