RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Anyone gone on a Cruise?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Anyone gone on a Cruise?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/19 07:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok, So my wife is wanting to do a cruise. probably a western Caribbean, maybe Eastern... were not sure as we have never taken a cruise before.

Has anyone gone on a cruise in the off season? (of RVing). we are planning on February 2021. If so what is best? (I know this is an open ended question) we just don't know. we are wanting to do a 7 night cruise.

What is everyone`s opinion? I`m looking for all the info we can get!

thanks!

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Ed_Gee

Central Oregon coast - Winter in AZ

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/19 07:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

More importantly in my opinion, you should also be asking what is the best cruise line for you two. ....some are pretty wild.....some with lots of kids.....some more staid for an older crowd. Food can be excellent or lousy depending on cruiseline. Size of the ship is important too. Some of these floating cities are like living in a crowded city. My wife and I like outstanding service outstanding food, nice clean room, good entertainment,a moderate size ship and not a lot of children running about. Celebrity Cruise lines are at the top of our list.

PS: I'd vote for the eastern Caribbean cruise. Over the western route.

Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

RAllison

Millersburg,ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/21/19 07:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife and me have been on 10 cruises,going on our 11th this Feb. Been on Carnival,Royal Caribbean,Princess,and Norwegian. Don't know what age you are but Carnival is the younger crowd, while the other three are more my age 55-70. We cruise Jan.-Mar. cheaper less kids. We love the entertainment and of course the food. The specialty dining on Norwg. is really good, probably our most enjoyable cruiseline. We always get a balcony room,little more expensive but more room and enjoy sitting out there in the mornings and evenings.Most relaxing vacations I have ever had. If you have any questions just let me know. Rich

Acampingwewillgo

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/21/19 07:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just got off a Cruise a few weeks ago( 7 Day Mexico on Princess), this was my first Cruise in over 25 years. My wife continued to Cruise during my 25 year hiatus and racked up those Sea Days. Anyways, I had a Great time...the ships have become much larger (25,000 Ton to 146,000 ton nowadays) almost too large really. Just the same there is so many things to do and see while on board. I wouldn't be too concerned about motion sickness...its hard to tell your out in the water.

OK..I won't be long winded here but GO...its Fun!!!

On Edit....if you can go at a Moments notice, check out "Vacations to Go" (vacationstogo.com)...great prices!

96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund, Senior Cavalier Rosie and Potter
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie and Mollie, Elvis Love You!

Rally's and get togethers-Lots

Oasisbob

Portland Oregon 97266

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/19 07:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you like eating well prepared exotic foods in large quanities and being waited on while living in luxury in a warm friendly sunny climate and visiting new places cruising is for you. We have gone several times. Our favorite cruise line is Holland America which caters to older people. Going in the off season means fewer kids on board. The size of these ships will blow your mind. I suggest price shopping. Last minute deals are often really good. Yes go

Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife & 4 Really Fun kids
2008 KIA Sedona 3.8L 24 valve V-6
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS">

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/19 08:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks everyone. I'll be 49 when we go and my wife will be younger than me! LOL.
I'm not a huge food person, but do like good food, not exotic. Same with my wife. We would like some fun excursins. I personally love to people watch and sit around the pool. Kids aren't an issue, but it would be nice to have a bit less of them around.
I was thinking Eastern Caribbean and my wife was thinking western. We are still looking and learning. We are leaning towards Royal Caribbean, but are open to others if they are just as good. Lots of learning. I can plan a 2-3 week RV trip with my eyes closed, but trying to plan a cruise is a learning curve.

happy2rv

Huntsville, AL, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/21/19 09:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We love cruising. We've been on multiple Royal Caribbean, multiple Disney, MSC, Carnival, and Celebrity. I can't say I've ever had a bad cruise.

We prefer more scenic destinations. Our favorite is by far Alaska followed by Canada/New England. However, those are only available at specific times of the year. Alaska runs from mid to late May through September and Canada is usually only available in the fall. We've cruised Alaska, Canada, Caribbean, Bahamas, and Bermuda. For us, our least favorite has been Bermuda. Our favorite stops for Caribbean cruises have been Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands. We haven't been to Puerto Rico since the hurricane hit though.

Caribbean cruises tend to be lots of open sea followed by ports that look and feel exactly the same as each other. All of the Caribbean ports have the same shops operated by the cruise lines. Del Sol, Diamonds International, Cariloha, etc...

We've been on many RCI cruises. That was our first cruise experience and we tend to return to them. They have a decent distribution of age and family dynamics. Not all kids, not all tales of the crypt. We really like Disney as well. Its not as kid centered as most people think and I didn't feel like we were swarmed with kids. The service was terrific and food was great, but Disney is considerably more expensive.

Carnival has a reputation for being a much younger and crowd with an extreme party atmosphere. I've only been on one Carnival cruise about 8 years ago. It wasn't as bad as I expected. Overall, it was a good cruise. The whole ship did seem to take on a Disco party theme around 10:00 PM, but you could get away from it. I would still much prefer most of the other cruise lines I've mentioned though.

The one exception was Celebrity. Again, We've only done one Celebrity cruise. It might have been that particular cruise, but the atmosphere was enough to keep us from seeking out another one. It was a significantly older average age and some might suggest significantly more sophisticated crowd, but I would say just plain snooty was our impression. I'd still take it over a day at work, but given the array of other options, I would pick any of the alternatives first.

2018 Forrest River Salem Hemisphere 282RK - 2017 RAM 1500 TV

Previous RVs and TOADS
2004 Fleetwood Bounder 32W on WH W20
2000 Four Winds 5000 21RB
1986 27' Allegro
TOADS
2005 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD
2004 Suzuki Aerio
1988 Chevrolet Sprint

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/21/19 09:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ed_Gee wrote:

More importantly in my opinion, you should also be asking what is the best cruise line for you two. ....some are pretty wild.....some with lots of kids.....some more staid for an older crowd. Food can be excellent or lousy depending on cruise line. Size of the ship is important too. Some of these floating cities are like living in a crowded city. My wife and I like outstanding service outstanding food, nice clean room, good entertainment,a moderate size ship and not a lot of children running about. Celebrity Cruise lines are at the top of our list.

PS: I'd vote for the eastern Caribbean cruise. Over the western route.

DW and I try to take one cruise a year, we are Royal Caribbean fateful. We have cruised on their smallest and their largest, and will say I really enjoyed the larger ship. They have more activity's and the crowds are dispersed so the only time we felt the large number of people were during the "BIG Sales" on the main promenade deck. Large ship for eastern or western Caribbean. Now if you choose to go to Alaska take a smaller ship, as they can get closer to the glaciers.
The safest time to Cruise in the Caribbean is December to May, you will avoid the storm season.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/21/19 10:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You should experience it once. Just avoid the hurricane season in the Caribbean, otherwise, it's sunny all year round.

And you can food binge.

For us who love the outdoors, don't get an inside cabin. We had no choice as its the one left but on the 8th day, I had bouts of claustrophobia. Not good! I have to watch series of movies under the stars so I can just go back to cabin straight to sleep.

Cruise is also not for immersive tourist who want to have an in depth cultural experience of the cities or the country.

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/19 10:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've been on a few cruises but only on Carnival. Yes it is a younger crowd and I usually call it a booze cruise. But it's not by any means out of control drunk. There are a lot of families, but I like it because it's got a good mix of all ages just like any city. I did a 7 day western Caribbean (Jamaica, Cozumel and Grand Cayman) and I had a lot of fun. then again I was only 29 at the time and had an $800 bar bill by the time the cruise was back in port, be careful it can add up fast. If the line offers an unlimited drink option on something you normally drink it's probably a good idea to buy it. On my last cruise they had an unlimited soda pop card for $25 that I bought and gave to my kids to share. If they had an alcohol card I would have bought that one as well.

I've dine both the assigned table and times for meals option and the no assigned table or times option. The assigned table is nice in that you always have the same people at the table so you get to make some new friends. The no time or table is nice because it's just like walking into a restaurant and sitting at a private table. I now prefer the open seating arrangement.
I know more than you asked, but I love cruising.

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Anyone gone on a Cruise?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS