RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Anyone gone on a Cruise?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Anyone gone on a Cruise?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev
Sponsored By:
RGar974417

Robesonia,Pa 19551

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/19 01:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was on a cruise for 3 years courtesy of the US Navy .

obgraham

TriCites WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/19 02:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP has picked his cruise, and I'm sure they will enjoy it.

One thing to consider in choosing a cruise line.If you look at the prices for the "Premium" lines (Viking, Seabourn, Oceania, Crystal, Azamara) and compare them to the "Mainline" lines (Princess, NCL, Royal, Celebrity, etc.) you might get sticker shock.
However, many are much more inclusive. Crystal is our favorite, and has gone all-inclusive now. Wine, drinks, tips, all in. And the service is unquestionably more attentive. So the price difference is significantly less.
We took Alaska in successive years, on Oceania then NCL. Same company, but night-and-day difference in service and food.

From less to more pricey, our favorites: Princess>>Viking>>Crystal>>Seabourn.

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/19 03:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Y'all can have your mega ship cruises with thousands of your newest best friends. Here is my style of cruising. Big enough for 2 plus the dog & a cooler to survive the day.[emoticon]

[image]
[image]Click For Full-Size Image.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/19 05:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Veebyes wrote:

Y'all can have your mega ship cruises with thousands of your newest best friends. Here is my style of cruising. Big enough for 2 plus the dog & a cooler to survive the day.[emoticon]

[image]
[image]Click For Full-Size Image.

I like it. Looks nice and secluded! However I don't think that's going to make it from Miami to Mexico!!!

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

rvshrinker

Beautiful Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/19 11:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

happy2rv wrote:

schlep1967 wrote:

We book the lowest price room, inside lower level. You will use the room for two purposes, sleeping and getting changed to go to dinner. Other than sleeping, we spend less than an hour a day in the room. Save the money for excursions!

This is not our experience. Many people share schlep's point of view, but we spend far more time in our room than this.

Some of the room choice is based on the type of cruise.
- Alaska cruises...it's all about watching the scenery pass by. Moving up to a balcony can make a lot of sense.
- Caribbean...they usually travel at night, so not nearly as much to gain.
- River...They often raft the ships 2-4 deep...if you are on the side adjacent to another ship, doesn't matter if you have a balcony, you still are looking at a window literally 2ft away, so not much point in getting a balcony.

And we were the exact opposite. Alaska, didn’t need the balcony because it was often too cold to sit outside. In contrast in the Caribbean, taking room service breakfast on the balcony every morning is positively wonderful. Nothing like it, especially on sea days.

We’ve done 4 cruises. Celebrity was far and away the best food; Princess pretty good. Royal Caribbean and Carnival varied from bad to decent with the occasional good item.

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 11/27/19 07:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Every cruise I've been on has had sea days. Having a balcony is a bonus. Being able to sit out on the balcony at different times of the day for us is part of cruising. It's also nice being able to be outside when the ships docking or leaving. If nothing more it's nice having a large window to create an open feeling.

obgraham

TriCites WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/27/19 12:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Heck we prefer the sea days. Balcony is great for that, as long as it is smooth. Our favorite itinerary is Trans-Atlantic!

As one guy said, "there are porters and there are crossers -- T/A folks are crossers".

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 11/27/19 03:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And thanks again everyone. This is our first cruise so we are splurging. Then the next one we can decide what we want and don’t want. We have 2 sea days. And I’m an outside person. I hate when we have a wedding and we are stuck in the room waiting. A balcony is a must have for me.

dedmiston

Valencia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/28/19 12:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's probably enough Cruise Chat for an RV forum. Thanks for all the constructive comments.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Anyone gone on a Cruise?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS