|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Anybody else have trouble packing for camping

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/28/19 01:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CavemanCharlie wrote:

pasusan wrote:

It's not that simple. I don't hate it, but I don't love it either. Food is my biggest problem - sometimes forgetting something important. We hardly ever camp anywhere near a store and I don't want to spend my camping time shopping anyway.

Way back when the kids were with us -- I will never forget the time I forgot the marshmallows for the fire...

I do plan meals and make lists, but even with that, last time I forgot butter. I had all the makings for grilled cheese, but no butter. Surprisingly mayo worked - no change in taste. [emoticon]

See, I'm just the opposite. Meals for me can be quite simple. A couple of hot dogs over the fire and a potato baked in the coals will suffice. If all else fails I can heat a can of something up on my campers stove. I have friends like you that are into large complicated meals but, that's not for me.

To each their own but, maybe changing your diet/food habits to make them simpler will make getting ready for camping easier for you.

I forget the butter a lot. I stuck on note in the camper so that I remember. That helps me a lot.

I don't consider grilled cheese a large complicated meal.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/28/19 06:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We keep most of the dedicated camping stuff in the TT. Most of our cooking stuff is a duplicate for stuff in the house. We do have lists for food that we take along. I LOVE to eat good food and we are both excellent cooks.
Our tow vehicle is my daily driver and I have to unload a lot of my stuff before we pack for a trip. I don't need a couple of chainsaws, a large tool box with every imaginable tool, 300 ft of heavy rope for doing tree work, etc. My truck goes on a serious diet before any trip. My wife even makes me vacuum and wash the truck.

Bob & Dawn Married 31 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

Freeway Flyer 05

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 11/28/19 09:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just relaxing after spending about 45 minutes loading up. Fresh food, milk, wine, beer, and snacks. Grand kid gave me her backpack and I tossed that in. Heading out in the AM!!!

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/28/19 11:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^Dont forget the butter!

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Jayco-noslide

Galesburg,Il., USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/29/19 08:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Leaving stuff in the RV is great but not in northwestern IL. Anything freezable would between Nov and Apr.

Jayco-noslide

dcmac214

SW OKLA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/29/19 10:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No problem at all. TT years ago, then a 5er, now an A coach. The only thing that gets moved in/out is food and heavier/warmer outerwear if needed. Cost vs convenience we opt for the convenience of having the RV already loaded/packed to go.

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/29/19 06:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I believe it would be easier to just hitch the house to the Rv!!
We can't get our RV up our logn drive and turn it around so we will be pakign at a facility several miles away.
Loading it was an ordeal and we still forgot the kitchen sink.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/29/19 06:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A few years back, I had a working trip scheduled. I was driving my clipper and staying on site. A week before, my engine blew. I decided to rent a MH for the trip. As I started making a list of all the things I needed to pull out of the clipper, I realized how much work I save by keeping gear loaded and ready to go. The list was massive and I am certain I was still missing things.

Fortunately, the weather caused the trip to be delayed. I went a few months later in the clipper. And I had everything I needed right at hand and it only took about 10 minutes to load groceries, meds, camera gear, and animals.

I won't have a camper if I can't keep it loaded.

mdcamping

CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/30/19 07:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

opnspaces wrote:

This has always affected me. I love camping, I would go full time if I could. But I always have trouble packing.

It's almost 9:30 am and I'm waiting for the kids to get out of school around 3. So far the extent of my prep is on Tuesday I put the sleeping bags in the popup and closed it all up before it rained. I haven't even considered food or shopping and no clothes are packed. Yes I'll get it done, but for some reason I always hate getting ready for the trip.

Does this happen to any of you?

Years ago when the kids were very young and when we had our 1st popup, I would have a "master list" of things needed, I would go off that. Most of the stuff would go directly in the back of my truck which had a cap. DW would handle the kids clothes, I would handle everything else. I honestly can't remember how long It took to pack but I think it went quick, having boys for kids probably made it easier as they were just happy to get out! [emoticon]

Mike

07 Toyota Tacoma,Double Cab, Max Towing 6,500lbs GCWR 11,100lbs
2011 Jayco X20E, Pro Series 800lb Weight Distributing Hitch
Husky Sway Bar, Prodigy Electronic Brake Control
McKesh Mirrors. "Towing with 200K"

Where we have camped

mdcamping

CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/30/19 09:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jayco-noslide wrote:

Leaving stuff in the RV is great but not in northwestern IL. Anything freezable would between Nov and Apr.

on the flip side, after each trip we will pack back in our house all our condiment stuff & similar during the peak summer as we don't want to expose it to the heat. We just leave the bags in the house and bring them back out for the next trip. Off season we leave the bags in the basement so they are ready for the next season. [emoticon]

Mike

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Anybody else have trouble packing for camping
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS