RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Charging electric car

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

 > Charging electric car

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
JRscooby

Indepmo

Senior Member

Joined: 06/10/2019

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/24/19 08:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

joebedford wrote:

I guess I'm not explaining myself properly or my idea is just too stupid. The bus is dragging the toad down the road; the toad's wheels are turning; the toad's motor(s) are turning - throw in a little regenerative braking on the toad and its battery will charge. The bus has to work a bit harder but there is no modification to the bus.


That is a great argument for buying a toad that uses fuel.


I don't understand. AFAIK, the only reason against towing a E-car is warranty.

Reisender

NA

Senior Member

Joined: 12/09/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/24/19 09:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

Lynnmor wrote:

joebedford wrote:

I guess I'm not explaining myself properly or my idea is just too stupid. The bus is dragging the toad down the road; the toad's wheels are turning; the toad's motor(s) are turning - throw in a little regenerative braking on the toad and its battery will charge. The bus has to work a bit harder but there is no modification to the bus.


That is a great argument for buying a toad that uses fuel.


I don't understand. AFAIK, the only reason against towing a E-car is warranty.


Yah. Really it’s a matter of software and a brake pedal sensor for the Motorhome. Just a matter of someone writing it and the warranty thing.

Harvey51

Alberta

Senior Member

Joined: 12/11/2006

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/24/19 10:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“one killowatt gets you about 6 ish kilometers in most EV's. ”
Unit confusion in this topic!

The kilowatt is not a unit of energy. It is a unit of power - how fast energy is consumed. Analogous to a gasoline car’s gallons per hour.

The unit of electric energy is the kilowatt hour. Analogous to gas car’s gallon of gas.

Driving an electric car a kilometre requires some amount of energy. How many kilowatt hours is it? How much does a kilowatt hour (KWH) cost? This is indicated on any electricity bill. It may be ten cents plus another ten cents delivery charge.


2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

Reisender

NA

Senior Member

Joined: 12/09/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/24/19 11:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Harvey51 wrote:

“one killowatt gets you about 6 ish kilometers in most EV's. ”
Unit confusion in this topic!

The kilowatt is not a unit of energy. It is a unit of power - how fast energy is consumed. Analogous to a gasoline car’s gallons per hour.

The unit of electric energy is the kilowatt hour. Analogous to gas car’s gallon of gas.

Driving an electric car a kilometre requires some amount of energy. How many kilowatt hours is it? How much does a kilowatt hour (KWH) cost? This is indicated on any electricity bill. It may be ten cents plus another ten cents delivery charge.


Yah my bad. One KWH gets you about 6 ish kilometers. Our lifetime average over four years in our one car is 6.7 Km per kWh. Electricity is about 11 cents per kWh where we are. Hope that clarifies it.

MrWizard

Traveling

Moderator

Joined: 06/27/2004

View Profile



Posted: 11/25/19 03:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

6 km is approx 4 miles,
Regulator gas is $3.599 st my local fuel up station, if you avg 20 mpg, then that's 18 cents a mile, 11 cents for 6 km/4 miles equals 2.75 cents per mile, a real bargain
The more you pay pet kwHr
The closer.the two become, the smaller the gain,
I think.around her 33 cents pet kwhr would be closer to it, making it about 11 cents per mile
Using an EV, still cheaper than gas


Radiate The Happy
....

Connected using Verizon and AT&T
1997 F53 Bounder 36s


JRscooby

Indepmo

Senior Member

Joined: 06/10/2019

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/25/19 05:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:


Yah. Really it’s a matter of software and a brake pedal sensor for the Motorhome. Just a matter of someone writing it and the warranty thing.


In normal driving of the EV, you want to slow, step on the brake, does the regen start then? And can you lift your foot from the go and whoa pedals, coast for some distance? (Remember, I know I'm ignorant.)
And most brake systems use some system to move brake pedal of toad? Any brake systems that do not use input from the MH brake pedal?
Unless I'm way off on any of this, I would say it would take very little change in programming, the technology is there.
Now I can see it would take some re-programming, but not a lot of change, for the toad to help the MH. And likely some changes to MH. (At least something to let the car know it is behind it's MH so it would not try to ride that close to another vehicle.

obiwancanoli

Napa

Full Member

Joined: 02/13/2018

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 11/25/19 07:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We got a little off-topic here, but I've learned a lot... appears charging EV while being towed isn't a sensible option... thus, if one anticipates a lot of use while situated at chosen location, best to use ICE vehicle. EV charging while on the road appears less reliable...

Reisender

NA

Senior Member

Joined: 12/09/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/25/19 07:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

Reisender wrote:


Yah. Really it’s a matter of software and a brake pedal sensor for the Motorhome. Just a matter of someone writing it and the warranty thing.


In normal driving of the EV, you want to slow, step on the brake, does the regen start then? And can you lift your foot from the go and whoa pedals, coast for some distance? (Remember, I know I'm ignorant.)
And most brake systems use some system to move brake pedal of toad? Any brake systems that do not use input from the MH brake pedal?
Unless I'm way off on any of this, I would say it would take very little change in programming, the technology is there.
Now I can see it would take some re-programming, but not a lot of change, for the toad to help the MH. And likely some changes to MH. (At least something to let the car know it is behind it's MH so it would not try to ride that close to another vehicle.


So yes. Kind of. As soon as you take your foot off the pedal max regeneration occurs. However moderating your pressure on the accelerator controls the amount of regeneration. This is how EV’s with “one pedal driving” are able to do that. Everything is controlled from the go pedal. Completely removing your foot causes quite strong regeneration and fairly strong decelation. It will actually bring you to a stop. However the software engages the service brakes for the last few kmh as regen fades away. Of course you can always still use your service brake pedal for even faster braking. Brakes don’t get a lot of wear in an EV. Brakes are good for the life of a car.

Hope that helps.

Reisender

NA

Senior Member

Joined: 12/09/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/25/19 07:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

obiwancanoli wrote:

We got a little off-topic here, but I've learned a lot... appears charging EV while being towed isn't a sensible option... thus, if one anticipates a lot of use while situated at chosen location, best to use ICE vehicle. EV charging while on the road appears less reliable...


It’s one of those “it depends” things. Although the US, Canada and Mexico are behind the rest of the modern world with charge infrastructure it is getting quite good even here. Tesla is still the king of the heap as they are designed to use any Chademo charge facility in addition to their own Supercharger network. But even those of us driving non Tesla’s have little difficulty finding facilities in “many” areas.

philh

Belleville MI

Senior Member

Joined: 05/11/2015

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/25/19 10:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

joebedford wrote:

I guess I'm not explaining myself properly or my idea is just too stupid. The bus is dragging the toad down the road; the toad's wheels are turning; the toad's motor(s) are turning - throw in a little regenerative braking on the toad and its battery will charge. The bus has to work a bit harder but there is no modification to the bus.

Your idea has merit...

However, the concept of towing 4 down is mostly a mystery to the OEM world, and specifically, in Electrification you typically have young people working at the OEM's.

Couple of things to overcome, what rate do you charge at, is it full charge over two hours at 55 mph? four hours? six hours?

Now you're also generating heat. How do you shed that heat? Remember, you typically don't have airflow across the radiator and no way to eliminate heat build up. What's the plan there?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

 > Charging electric car
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.