|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Charging electric car

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Next
Sponsored By:
obiwancanoli

Napa

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/19 05:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With the continued proliferation of electric cars, I wonder if RV manufacturers are working toward a way my RV can charge a Tesla, or other electric vehicle, while plugged into shore power, or on the road while being towed...?

Alternatively, can my current RV be modified to allow for this?

I wonder if there's anything on the horizon, or that has been published that you lnow of, that speaks to this eventual advance?

cavie

Port Charlotte Fl/ Hindsdale MA

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/19 05:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just plug the Tesla into the shore power!

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/19 06:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Takes a lot of power, ideally a 240 vac/50 amp outlet. Good description at this link.

GREGORYJ

Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/22/19 06:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As mentioned, just plug into the camp site's shore power. A Tesla or other EVs need a 240 volt supply to fully charge overnight if the EV battery is run down.
Tesla Model 3 Standard Models need 240 volt/32 Amp and Long Range Model needs
240 volt/48 Amps supplies. You use the cord the car comes with. You can also charge with 120 Volts/12 Amp using the same cord but with a 120 Volt adapter plug but it's very slow. The issue seems to be how to tow it behind the RV. I believe Tesla says no as they are rear wheel drive or all wheel drive with no transmission with a Neutral. I would think a car dolly would work with a front wheel drive EV like the Chevy Bolt.

Ellen & Greg
08 National Dolphin DL-35Ci, Kelderman Air Ride, Rear Trac Bar
Workhorse W22, RoadMaster Rear Sway Bar, Towing 08 Smart Car

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/19 06:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, this is our EV

[image]

and this is where we charge it from. The EVSE is mounted in the front cabinet. 120 volt is fine as this is just a commuter car with only 120 KM of range. Really 120 would be fine for most people as an overnight 18 KW charge would still get 100 KM of range the next day. Fast chargers are getting pretty common out there. If the campground has a 50 amp 240 volt hookup you can always unhook your coach for the night or just run the coach off the 15 amp receptacle for the night.

Just for reference, one killowatt gets you about 6 ish kilometers in most EV's.

Going down the road you can rig an umbilical 120 volt from your coach inverter or generator.

[image]

Jack_Diane_Freedom

Milton Ontario Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/19 07:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would think that the RV park would have to charge you extra for charging up your EV if they would allow it at all.

free radical

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/19 07:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

obiwancanoli wrote:

With the continued proliferation of electric cars, I wonder if RV manufacturers are working toward a way my RV can charge a Tesla, or other electric vehicle, while plugged into shore power, or on the road while being towed...?

Alternatively, can my current RV be modified to allow for this?

I wonder if there's anything on the horizon, or that has been published that you lnow of, that speaks to this eventual advance?

Interesting vid on
Charging Tesla by towing
https://youtu.be/RaGVoB4Zn-Y

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/19 08:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jack_Diane_Freedom wrote:

I would think that the RV park would have to charge you extra for charging up your EV if they would allow it at all.

We always ask. Explain how much energy it will take and at what rate. We haven't been charged yet but then again, it hasn't come up that often really. Typically we would charge 10 to 15 kw overnight in our car. Pretty small. We always offer 5 bucks which allows a healthy profit.

mikestock

Vestavia Hills, AL, USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/19 08:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I installed a 50 amp receptacle at my son's lake house a few years back. Last year he purchased a Tesla S. He has a high output charger at his home and gets about 38 miles per hour of charge. We used the 50 amp cord that came with the Tesla and found that he gets about 19 miles per hour of charge on my RV receptacle, which allows for a substantial overnight boost. This would probably work on most any 50 amp RV source.

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/19 08:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mikestock wrote:

I installed a 50 amp receptacle at my son's lake house a few years back. Last year he purchased a Tesla S. He has a high output charger at his home and gets about 38 miles per hour of charge. We used the 50 amp cord that came with the Tesla and found that he gets about 19 miles per hour of charge on my RV receptacle, which allows for a substantial overnight boost. This would probably work on most any 50 amp RV source.

The mobile cord or EVSE (otherwise known as the UMC) that comes with any Tesla pulls a maximum 32 amps and can be plugged into any 14-50 receptacle. One can buy a "wall charger" from Tesla that one can have hard wired at home on a 60 amp circuit. That will provide 48 amps to the built in charger in the car and charge at a maximum of 11.5 kw rate. Tesla long range models like model X model S and Model 3 AWD can take advantage of the wall chargers greater current capacity. Many hotels have installed these for overnight use by guests. They also usually install regular 32 amp EVSE's for overnight charging for the rest of us schmoes that don't drive Teslas. [emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Charging electric car
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS