|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Charging electric car

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 11/27/19 04:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

There are exactly ZERO EVs rated to be towed 4 down.

And nobody ever tows a vehicle that is not "rated" to tow? And unlike ICE vehicles where the transmission probably does not lubricate when driven from wheels, nobody has pointed out a mechanical reason a EV can not be towed.

JoeH

Apollo Beach,FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/27/19 06:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

time2roll wrote:

And nobody ever tows a vehicle that is not "rated" to tow? And unlike ICE vehicles where the transmission probably does not lubricate when driven from wheels, nobody has pointed out a mechanical reason a EV can not be towed.

So I sent an email to Tesla to ask about their new pickup truck and if it will be towable 4 down behind our motorhome. First response from them was , what do you mean by towable 4 down ? Next email I explained how I tow my F150 behind our motorhome and wanted to know if the new cybertruck will support that. Their response was that none of there current vehicles could be towed 4 down as it would burn out the motor(s) , but they didn't have any information on the capability of the new truck. I responded that how could they be taking orders on a new vehicle when they don't even have specifications on that its' capabilities are. I imagine it will be the same-- no 4 down towing.

* This post was edited 11/27/19 08:04am by JoeH *

Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/27/19 09:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

time2roll wrote:

Mechanical reason # 1, EV's have motors connected directly to the wheels, if the wheels turn, so do the motors.

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 11/27/19 09:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JaxDad wrote:

JRscooby wrote:

time2roll wrote:

Mechanical reason # 1, EV's have motors connected directly to the wheels, if the wheels turn, so do the motors.

I don't know what happens when neutral is selected in our EV's but it is definitely a free wheeling feel. One can shift back and forth on the fly while moving. As soon as it is in drive you can feel the regen. I have no idea what is happening mechanically though. No idea if it could be harmed while towing. And the car has to be on and running or it applies the parking pall.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/27/19 11:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No EV has a mechanical disconnect. If the wheels turn, the motor turns.

I keep hoping someone will take the risk on a well used and cheep EV and go cross country and post a report.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 11/27/19 11:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

No EV has a mechanical disconnect. If the wheels turn, the motor turns.

I keep hoping someone will take the risk on a well used and cheep EV and go cross country and post a report.

The original 2011 Leafs are on cars.com for around 5 to 7000 bucks. We need to find a member with 7000 to spare and “hook it up”. [emoticon]. Not me. We kinda got used to trailering now. I don’t think I would want to go back to 4 down.

Mike134

Elgin

View Profile

Posted: 11/27/19 11:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There's always this method

https://insideevs.com/news/382196/raptor-charge-model-3-towing/

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/27/19 08:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Made it a clicky

Bobbo, Linda and the furry kid (45 pound rescue)
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

bdosborn

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 11/30/19 10:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Harvey51 wrote:

“one killowatt gets you about 6 ish kilometers in most EV's. ”
Unit confusion in this topic!

The kilowatt is not a unit of energy. It is a unit of power - how fast energy is consumed. Analogous to a gasoline car’s gallons per hour.

The unit of electric energy is the kilowatt hour. Analogous to gas car’s gallon of gas.

Driving an electric car a kilometre requires some amount of energy. How many kilowatt hours is it? How much does a kilowatt hour (KWH) cost? This is indicated on any electricity bill. It may be ten cents plus another ten cents delivery charge.

Why not just convert ecar units to gas car units? Much easier to relate to for most people:

746 watts = 1 hp
1 kw-hr = 0.03 gallons of gas

Bruce

2010 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
Custom Frame, Poptop, AC, Espar Diesel Furnace, HW Heater, Sink, Shower, 12V-120V, LED Lights, TV and XM Radio, DVD Player, 300W PV Panels, PD 9140 Charger, Tongue Box, Filon Exterior, 1000W Generator, Patient Wife
Boxcar Build

joebedford

Finally back home in the north

View Profile

Posted: 12/01/19 08:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bdosborn wrote:

Why not just convert ecar units to gas car units? Much easier to relate to for most people
As long as you use metric units.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Charging electric car
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS