|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Quick question about oil changes

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
CodyClassB

None

View Profile

Posted: 11/23/19 01:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have 2015 Winnie on E350 chassis. We live in southern California and only use our RV 2-3 times a year. We drive a total of less than 500 miles a year.

Question is: is it ok to replace oil every 3-4 years? I know some people think oil needs to change periodically regardless of how many miles you drive, but I don't see any differences whether oil is stored in my truck or in the bottle on the store's shelf waiting to be sold. There are many "rumors" "suggestions" and "theories" about oil. Any scientific evident that says we need to change oil even if we don't drive?

* This post was last edited 11/24/19 04:07pm by CodyClassB *   View edit history

K Charles

Connecticut

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/23/19 01:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Condensation is not a rumor. Once you take the oil out of the bottle the moisture in the air gets in it.

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 11/23/19 01:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Use synthetic oil. It will not break down over time.

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 11/23/19 02:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

K Charles wrote:

Condensation is not a rumor. Once you take the oil out of the bottle the moisture in the air gets in it.

Just a question mind you. IF the oil is sealed in the engine, with no leaks, and no way to get air in. Does it still condensate?

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/23/19 02:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check your owner's manual. Ford says change the oil every 7,500 miles or every 6 months for normal service. So, twice a year for your Winnebago. BTW, oil changes are cheap insurance.

* This post was edited 11/23/19 02:37pm by azdryheat *

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2011 Harley Ultra Limited
2016 RZR 900

carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 11/23/19 02:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Condensation forms during cold starts. If those 500 miles are from get-everything-hot trips, and not the occasional grocery store trip, I would not worry about it.

Bryan

2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/23/19 02:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How often do you actually drive the thing? For a variety of reasons you should take it down the road every now and then run the generator while doing it. Tires need to be run too. Changing oil once a year is a good idea and not the costly.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004

MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/23/19 02:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd worry more about condensation in the fuel system than in the oil. If you park it for a while fill the fuel tank to the brim.
Driving it once in a while is a good habit also. These things tend to atrophy if you don't use them. Run the generator too if you have one.

Mike.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

Lwiddis

Los Angeles area :(

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/23/19 03:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No rumor here. Follow manufacturer’s recommendations unless you’re an expert.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

happy2rv

Huntsville, AL, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/23/19 03:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You'll find a lot of opinions here, not sure how much scientific fact.

With that said, I'll throw out my opinions. I agree with the statements above that no engine and drive train should sit idle for more than a month, especially if no long term storage preparations and return to service procedures are followed. Can you "get away" with changing the oil ever 3-4 years? Probably. I've known people who never changed their oil, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Personally, I always changed the oil at least once per year when we had the motor home. More often when we put lots of miles on it. With synthetic oil on my daily driver, I go pretty much by mileage and expect to get 7-10K miles out of it but I would still change it at least once per year if I was driving less. I've seen other sites that indicate you can go 2 or more years between changes on low mileage vehicles, but for me once a year seems like a reasonable balance.

The only way to really know when the oil truly needs to be changed is to have a sample tested. Not really worth the effort and expense to me. It would cost more than changing the oil myself and be more hassle. I'm not sure how much condensation plays into modern engines, but there are many factors like acid content and additives breaking down. Maybe condensation, maybe combustion by products, maybe other factors, but oil sitting in your engine especially after being run even a few miles is not the same as oil sealed in a factory container.

These links have some information about what happens as oil gets older and why you might want to consider interval based changes instead of just mileage:

https://www.waynesgarage.com/tips/more-tip/much-about-oil
https://www.waynesgarage.com/tips/more-tip/oil-change-intervals

2018 Forrest River Salem Hemisphere 282RK - 2017 RAM 1500 TV

Previous RVs and TOADS
2004 Fleetwood Bounder 32W on WH W20
2000 Four Winds 5000 21RB
1986 27' Allegro
TOADS
2005 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD
2004 Suzuki Aerio
1988 Chevrolet Sprint

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Quick question about oil changes
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS