|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> Repairs and Upgrades

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
RustyMacIntosh

Fresno, Cal

View Profile

Posted: 11/25/19 05:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm new to the Class A world. So when something goes wrong on the road I am clueless unless I have internet--and an RV Forum.

What I have noticed, at least in 3 cities of California when a minor problem occured is when I Google for Mobile RV Service---all I get is voicemail, and not ONE--of those hacks return phone calls.

In SLO the other night, I called everyone who popped up on the Google search. I think I called at least 7 mobile RV techs. (hacks).

Not a one has returned calls.

BUT!!!!!!!!!! Posting the issue here on RV.NET, I was advised within 30 minutes of the posting what to check. A fuse. How simple. How easy, and yet some hack rv tech could of made several hundred bucks off me from my cluelessness by swapping in a 20amp fuse.

Moral to the story? Keep a hotspot internet access or another internet access to use WIFI. Use online forums. Don't even bother with the hacks who claim to be RV Repair Experts. (The one that cracked me up was the one who "TYPICALLY RETURNS CALLS WITHIN 1 HOUR).....its been 4 days.....

journey indiana

indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/25/19 07:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One of our friends started getting interested in having a motorhome to travel in. We had them drive ours to see what it would be like traveling down the road while driving and parking the motorhome. I told them that two of the important things to remember before buying was to have a place to park it and be able to fix things that might go bad. They bought a 4 new ones before getting out of owning a motorhome. The warranties would run out and they would buy a new one. After 4, they decided that they couldn't afford to "travel" like that
Good Luck,
Journey Indiana

RustyMacIntosh

Fresno, Cal

View Profile

Posted: 11/25/19 01:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I saw the cops rousting out a nice pusher diesel motorhome parked way out at the outer limit of the parking lot at a Walmart.....Wallys used to be the place to spend the night, but in Cal the homeless have squatted to the degree I guess Wally has put the kibosh on staying overnight.

I found hotels to be the best place to hide out in. Large hotels where you can get lost in the shuffle. You can get a nites rest, sponge off their WIFI and get a breakfast too....

On my Bounder, the only part I have never been able to figure out is the momentary water pump switches. I get nada at the pump. I jumped the pump with wires leading into the bathroom where I have a small riding lawn mower battery. If I need water, we connect to the battery,

I did change that intelligent box above the pump, the interesting thing is the neg was live and the pos was cold when testing the power to the box.

The red was cold, but the white with red stripe noted as NEG on the little box, was live...had power there.

Tax_Man

Sioux City IA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/25/19 02:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rusty - I do check the forums before doing some things. It is nice to check what others have done.

Journey - Do they do that with their cars????

Traveling around with the wife and fur kid.
Keep on Truckin (It's a 70s thing)
2007 Georgetown SE 350DS (Ford Chassis)
2007 Jeep Liberty Limited 4x4 (Toad)

DFord

Near St Louis, MO

View Profile

Posted: 11/25/19 06:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RustyMacIntosh wrote:

On my Bounder, the only part I have never been able to figure out is the momentary water pump switches. I get nada at the pump. I jumped the pump with wires leading into the bathroom where I have a small riding lawn mower battery. If I need water, we connect to the battery,

I did change that intelligent box above the pump, the interesting thing is the neg was live and the pos was cold when testing the power to the box.

The red was cold, but the white with red stripe noted as NEG on the little box, was live...had power there.

That little box is supposed to allow you to control the pump from multiple locations. Turn it on at the kitchen sink with one press, turn it off in the wet compartment by pressing the switch in there. It has a holding relay that pressing the various switches close the relay with one press and release it with the next - if it's working right and hasn't been tampered with by hands with good intentions and little knowledge.

Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

angelajonese

Shelton, CT

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/19 04:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Replacing old RV roof with a new one is a good option but a costly one too. Before you embark on the tiresome journey of replacing your entire RV rubber roof, give it a final shot and apply a coat of Liquid RV Roof. Liquid RV Roof has helped thousands of RV enthusiasts get a new roof at a fraction of the cost of roof replacement.https://www.epdmcoatings.com/

jplante4

Cape Cod

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/19 04:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do as much as I can at my age, mostly upgrades in the house part. Right now all the draws and cabinet doors are in the basement being refinished. I replaced the rotted out couch and the floor and wall that rotted out under that corner, which means I needed to pull up some carpet. Pulled up some, pulled it all and replaced with vinyl planking. Looks good, but I've been eyeing teak and holly boat deck stuff.

Chassis service, filters, oil etc I leave to Panhead Mike in the shop at the RV parts store where I work part time. He has the lifts and it fills in his schedule for a few days each winter.

[image]

Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/20/19 04:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A lot of people like me do their own work on their RV's and their stick houses for the simple reason that they cannot find someone competent that they trust. That is one of the problems with knowing how to fix things that break. There is nothing worse than paying someone to do something you can do yourself and having to watch as he fumbles through a simple repair like it is the first time he ever worked on an RV.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/19 04:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grew up on a farm. When you are plowing the back 40 and the tractor breaks down you either fix it or .. long walk back then to the house where the phone is to call the mechanic.. (I do admit some fixes are beyond what you can do in the field) ... Thus you learn to fix it.

Plus I know many women who can bake a cake with ease.

Compared to that.. a full overhaul of a V-8 Engine is child's play.

(And yes I can bake a cake but I'd rather build a pie, do that too)

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/19 07:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

People learn by doing, and often doing comes out of necessity - either stranded or financially driven - or both and of course some just like to do it. I fall in the financial driver slot fueled by necessity. Now, if I ever came into a lot of money, like lotto money, rest assured I would simply pay people to work on my Prevost while I have lunch and a beer in the cabana. Some folks who have a lot of money still like to do their own stuff. Hats off to you. I think in my younger years I also felt that way. Now that I am older, I am fine using my credit card as a primary tool. But - and this is important - I still could if I needed to on most things. Some stuff is still better left to the experts. The issue is finding an expert.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Ridge Silverback 29rw

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> Repairs and Upgrades
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.