|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Snake Repellent Testing - Advice

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/25/19 07:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Horsedoc wrote:

Small pellets (#8 size) of lead traveling at 900fps has worked for me for years

This ^^^^^^^^^ is MY solution, but I prefer #4 size.

Bobbo, Linda and the furry kid (45 pound rescue)
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

westernrvparkowner

montana

View Profile

Posted: 11/25/19 08:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A real scientific test would require time, money, snakes and bait. You would put the snakes in a large enclosure and place baits in two equally accessible areas one of which was defended by your snake repellent. You would then observe over time whether the snakes avoided the defended baits. For it to be a true test, you would need to test it with various types of snakes, since they all don't hunt and probably don't get repelled the same way. Then you would have to test the durability of the product over time and weather. Then you would have to be sure all it does it repel snakes and not poison pets or children or attract something equally as nasty like scorpions.
I hate snakes. For me the best defense is keep everything around buildings and the like clean and clear. If you keep away things that attract snakes (rodents, birds eggs, shelter etc.) the snakes will stay away on their own.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/25/19 08:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’m subbed just to hear the results!
My suggestion would be find a den of baby rattlers, lay down in front of it, spray your snake oil stuff around yourself and then poke the den real good with a stick.
If you continue posting on this forum the following day, you can consider your test of the repellent to be successful!

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Lwiddis

Los Angeles area :(

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/25/19 09:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hopefully the study will find something effective but safe.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 11/25/19 11:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Crowe wrote:

And why is this posted in an RV forum?

Multiple reasons I would guess but I would say the #1 would be because this group spends a lot of time outdoors and may run into snakes more frequently than other groups.

Around the campfire maybe. Beginning RV'ing - not so much.

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/25/19 11:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I, for one, find this topic interesting. Snakes aren't a problem here as a general rule and I had a lovely conversation with a pretty black and yellow garter snake when I was out watering plants in the fall. Just for spits and giggles I did a search on snake repellent and apparently some do have some level of success: https://www.peststrategies.com/reviews/snake-products/best-snake-repellents

and this: https://www.fieldecology.com/blog/snakes-away Note this includes NOT shooting them.

or this: https://stoppestinfo.com/163-how-to-repe........tural-and-chemical-snake-repellents.html article is long but there is info at the end.

Not sure if this will help you or not but it might at least help in developing hypotheses or test conditions. I would also suggest you ignore the snarkiness you will see on here. Some people just can't help themselves.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/25/19 11:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bobbo wrote:

Horsedoc wrote:

Small pellets (#8 size) of lead traveling at 900fps has worked for me for years

This ^^^^^^^^^ is MY solution, but I prefer #4 size.

X2... Do not need to be as close as #8 dictates . .

* This post was edited 11/25/19 11:51am by ford truck guy *

Me-Her-the kids
2015 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020Redwood 3991RD Garnet

hotpepperkid

Kingman AZ

View Profile

Posted: 11/25/19 07:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

357 and snake shot work well

2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

cougar28

Lowell,AR USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/25/19 08:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why are so many people so afraid of snakes? They do way more good than harm! I bet most people don’t even know of anyone that has been biting by one.

2002 F-250 SD CC 7.3PSD Auto. XLT Short Bed 4X4 Off-Rd.Pkg.Highland Green,Westin Sportsman Grille Guard (Black) RBW Li'l Rocker Slider ,Prodigy Control Towing Jayco Eagle HT 30.5 MLOK,Handy 5er tailgate

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/26/19 08:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cougar28 wrote:

Why are so many people so afraid of snakes? They do way more good than harm! I bet most people don’t even know of anyone that has been biting by one.

I am not afraid of snakes, but when a 32" long copperhead (I measured his length AFTERWARD) was heading for my wife's VERY thickly planted flowerbeds, I said no, no, no.

He, however, did not go to waste. We had a Cooper's Hawk nesting in the yard. I threw the deceased out into the yard near the nest. The hawk ate on that snake for 2 days. We watched through the picture window of our house.

And, for whatever it's worth, one of my wife's friends was bitten by a copperhead in one of HER flowerbeds.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Snake Repellent Testing - Advice
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS