|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Howling wind

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
harley-dave

ummm, where are we again..

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/19 06:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've had to pull in our slide a few times to slow down the rocking. Once even had the Winegard travl'er antenna bent it was so bad.

Dave

2005 Winnebago-Itasca Sundancer 31C
2010 Harley-Davidson Soft tail Deluxe
2014 Harley-Davidson Street Glide Special
1999 Chevrolet Tracker 4X4
SKP # 121272

Desert Captain

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/19 07:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A couple of years ago in January we left the coach in Laughlin and rode my Harley up to Vegas to meet family and have some fun for a couple of days. The morning we left to return a huge front moved through with temps in the low 30's and north winds of 35 to 50.

We bundled up and made the ride south on 93 without complaint but when we turned east to get over the pass and down into the Colorado River Valley it got dicey. The gusts would blow us across a full lane without much warning.

When we finally made it back to the Riverside RV Park in Laughlin the coach was rocking so badly that it felt like we were driving down a twisty, potholed road. The winds, with gust exceeding 50 at times, lasted for 2 more days and we just waited it out. Driving out, up and over that long, steep nasty pass eastbound out of Laughlin was nothing I was willing to even think about in those conditions.

Sometimes you just need to revise your plans and stay put.

[emoticon]

discovery4us

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/26/19 07:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]

This happened on CA 58 yesterday. CHP says it was caused by wind. Also had a few tractor trailer blown over.

* This post was edited 11/26/19 07:48am by discovery4us *

Route 66 Traveler

Western Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/26/19 07:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I live in Kingman and yesterday the winds were from the Southwest 20-30mph, with gusts in the 40's. It's predicted to be like that again tomorrow, 11-27, with rain and snow on Friday. We had 18' of snow last February which is unheard of!

We had planned to leave for a Thanksgiving in Quartzsite tomorrow, needless to say we canceled the trip.

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 11/28/19 01:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The wind always blows around here. That's why we have so many wind towers. I keep an eye on the forecast and adjust my travel times around the wind. If it is blowing hard at the park I don't worry about it but, I don't like to pull my TT on days when it's to windy.

Keeping the awning in and the TV antenna down is normal for me because of the wind.

doxiemom11

Somewhere between MI and TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/28/19 02:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Had friends that were so anxious a couple years ago to get south, that instead of staying put, took off down the road on a windy day. Nothing extreme, but 30 with higher gusts. Wind flipped their rig causing truck to also roll. Wife very seriously injured and a year later still in a wheel chair. It's just not worth it no matter why you think you need to go and no matter how great you think you are in handling the rig in wind. Better to just sit and stay safe !

LibertyMan

Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 11/28/19 05:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was staying at the St. Mary KOA in East Glacier and thought our camper was going to blow over! Steady 35mph winds with gust in the 40's and 50's. Horrible, could not sleep at all due to the rocking and howling. Campground host acted like it happens all the time there. Someone mentioned slide toppers....my current trailer has them on all of the slides but we have not camped in any high wind situations since we purchased it. What are you folks doing with them during high winds other than pulling the slides in? Will they stand up to a good beating?

2018 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite
2016 Ram CCSB 2500 CTD
GenY Weight Distribution Hitch

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/28/19 06:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

doxiemom11 wrote:

Had friends that were so anxious a couple years ago to get south, that instead of staying put, took off down the road on a windy day. Nothing extreme, but 30 with higher gusts. Wind flipped their rig causing truck to also roll. Wife very seriously injured and a year later still in a wheel chair. It's just not worth it no matter why you think you need to go and no matter how great you think you are in handling the rig in wind. Better to just sit and stay safe !

pilots call that "gotta get there-itis' and it's killed a few of them. as you point out it just aint worth the risk.

* This post was edited 11/28/19 06:43pm by rk911 *

Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/28/19 07:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LibertyMan wrote:

I was staying at the St. Mary KOA in East Glacier and thought our camper was going to blow over! Steady 35mph winds with gust in the 40's and 50's. Horrible, could not sleep at all due to the rocking and howling. Campground host acted like it happens all the time there. Someone mentioned slide toppers....my current trailer has them on all of the slides but we have not camped in any high wind situations since we purchased it. What are you folks doing with them during high winds other than pulling the slides in? Will they stand up to a good beating?

we had similar winds for 5-6 days in Amarillo 2-yrs ago. we pulled in the slide that was on the windward side during the day and both at night. the bedroom slide was also on the windward side so that was also in during the day but had to be out at night. some of the gusts were pretty violent.

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/28/19 07:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some of you may have been at the hastings Kansas FMCA or ACA Coach rally a few years ago, I don't remember which it was. We came from Arizona through Texas, to Oklahoma then Kansas.
In Texas lots of wind from the west and the road was almost straight north and south. They drive on thee broad shoulders there in Texas and for good reason. about 30mph maybe was all we could do as it continually tried to push us off the road. Radio said something of 70-75 mph winds. We met semis who went to the shoulder as we did. If we had stayed n the road being so close e could have been frced into each other. In Oklahoma on the now Interstate turned east est. With those strong constant winds at our back, we averaged somewhere in the high 20mph range the most of the way to Hastings.. Hastings is where there are or were prarie dog towns in the medians and on the shoulders. One Intersection sticks out most, that was close to Big Box Stores.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Howling wind
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS