|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Howling wind

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 11/28/19 07:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yep, heard of "get there-itis". Not worth it at all.

We lost a 5er to a blow over between Laramie & Rawlins 10 years ago. Elk Mtn Pass. Breezy day but not enough for highway warning signs to be lit. Got a few minor shakes west of Laramie. What got us was a huge & sustained gust broadside just on the west side of the top of the Elk Mtn pass. Gravel was airbourne & travelling horizontally. 60-70MPH wind I estimate. We have lived through many a hurricane at home in Bermuda so we know a little about wind. A few seconds earlier or later & we would still have that trailer.

These days we are extremely sensitive to wind & watch for any clues like flags, trees moving, grass blowing, ripples on roadside ponds, other high profile vehicles, anything that might give an indication of direction & speed of the wind.

Much better to stay put if there is a chance of encountering high winds than go through what we did which was trailer totalled, $10,000 damage to truck, paperwork gallore, loss of alot of personal stuff & a month in Cheyenne getting the truck fixed.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/28/19 08:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The closest I've been to a blow over was on I-80 in Wyoming. I was in the right lane and a gust of wind hit the rig and I went to the left lane and almost into the center divider. The truck and the trailer went as one unit and I was along for the ride.

It made me a firm believer in the Reese duel cam Equalizer hitch. I was in a F-250 with a 22' trailer.

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/29/19 03:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

West of Fort Worth on thee Interstate is a long curve in a stretch that must get a lot of high winds.
On two different trip we saw a semi or semis blown over on their sides.
We have not spent much time in the Mohave Desert, but this trip, with wife's little sister terminally ill, we have been here three long long months. The wind has been hard many if not most days. Does little good to wash your car. The coach rocks many many nights.

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/29/19 09:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

so sorry to hear about your sister-in-law. thoughts and prayers for you all.

Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/29/19 09:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the winds get into the 50+ mph range you will need to be very careful where you park. Try to face into the prevailing wind. I had high winds in Hatteras and in the Mojave Preserve among other places. At Hatteras we were trapped for a couple of days. At Mojave the temps dropped into the 30s and the wind made it impossible to use the furnace. I also encountered really heavy winds at Furnace Creek, Death Valley. The winds hit a 5th wheeler, pushed it sideways about 4 feet and dropped it on the ground.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Howling wind
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS