|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Uncomfortable Sofa

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Lightning55

Pleasanton, CA

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/19 10:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Jayco Eagle HT 30.5 MBOK that has a 58" sofa in the rear living area that folds down into a bed. This sofa, which looks pretty good is not very comfortable to sit in. I thought about replacing it with a double reclining theater seat but I hate to give up the sleeper feature. If I go online, there are lots of sleeper sofas available but you never know how comfortable it is without actually sitting in it first. Does anyone out there have a sleeper sofa that they really like or suggestions on where to sample different sofas before buying one? Maybe I should go to RV dealers and see if I can find a sofa that I think is comfortable.

Mfan

Otsego,Mi

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/19 10:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd look at a furniture store. Take your measurements along, and pick out what you like

Fizz

Ottawa, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/19 10:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hard to find a comfortable one.
Watch the weight.

ependydad

Here and there

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/26/19 12:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mfan wrote:

I'd look at a furniture store. Take your measurements along, and pick out what you like

This, 100% this.

We had to replace a set of recliners and we just shopped at normal furniture stores for replacements.

2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2012 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: B&W Turnover Ball + Companion
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

DutchmenSport

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/26/19 12:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Get a comfortable replacement couch that will fit the designated space. Maybe even get a love-seat style that reclines. Forget about finding one that folds out to a bed. NONE are comfortable. And I've slept on dozens and dozens of hide-a-bed's in homes and RV's. None!

Instead, just get an inflatable air mattress that has it's own built in air pump and put it on the floor when you need extra sleeping space. We used an inflatable mattress on the floor in our previous camper because the fold out bed was so horribly uncomfortable.

Our current 5er has 2 opposing slides in the front living room with hide-a-bed, tri-fold outs that almost touch each other in the middle. They are horribly uncomfortable to sleep on. Problem solved.... we got 2 matching air mattresses and put them on top of each fold out bed. With just a push of a button they inflate and deflate. They worked great, but they work even better on the floor, and take up the same space.

discovery4us

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/26/19 12:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wouldn't worry about the sleeper feature, I do some of my best sleeping in a recliner.

Dick_B

Palos Heights, IL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/26/19 12:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A comfortable sofa bed is an oxymoron sort of like an honest politician or an honest used car salesman!

Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

4x4van

California

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/19 12:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Interestingly, my 2004 Itasca's jack-knife sofa is surprisingly comfortable, both for sitting AND sleeping. And that has been verified by several different people who have slept on it.

We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R (2), '85 BW200, '07 TRX400EX, '12 Husky TE310
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II, '95 FX1

steelhunter

North Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/19 02:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I put a few strips of wood in the bottom of my rv sofa. I also used upgraded foam from an auto upholstery shop and what a difference.

All for just a few dollars....

jeremy_kirby

Seattle, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/19 08:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Twice that steelhunter said. Plywood might help - gives the seat backs some slope/comfort.
As for sleeping, when we had a similar problem, I took a 2" foam pad and cut it to fit the top square of the bed. Meaning everything but the couch cushions. We then put a fitted sheet over it to hold the pad in place, and that made our sofa a better place to sleep, comfortable at least.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Uncomfortable Sofa
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS